FORUMS: list search recent posts

Annoying range selection (i/o points) behaviour

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Heiderscheidt
Annoying range selection (i/o points) behaviour
on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:00:55 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to FCPX and there's something that's been annoying me a lot and that I strangely haven't seen discussed on the net, but it's so annoying that I can't understand why there are no complaints about this...

I'm working with long multicam projects. When setting in and out points on the timeline (in a project), it seems that the range selection is "temperamental", especially when the project in zoomed out quite a bit (it behaves better - but still not perfect - when the project in zoomed in on just a few seconds) :

-- If I set the in point close to the end of a clip, then set the out point after the start of the next clip, the in point often gets moved automatically to the start of the next clip , thus losing my initial in point location.

-- If I set an in point then an out point a few frames later , it often loses the in point and just keeps the out point (or moves the in point to one frame before the out point)

-- When using the "go to in" or "go to out" command, it sometimes goes to the beginning of the project, even when the range selection is still there ! Very annoying on long projects because I then have to go back to the right place manually...

It seems that FCPX does not like you to select just a few frames. But I need to do this all the time... How is this a "feature" ?? The software is basically second-guessing the decisions the user is taking !!!

Another really annoying thing is that setting and clearing in-out points is not an undoable action. Since setting ranges is one of the main editing tasks, something I do all day-long, why is this so ? Also, there are too many actions that clear the selection range in the project timeline , like using the blade tool for example. What the point in that ? One last thing : you can't match frame a clip when a range is selected. Again, why ? I can't see the point in this.

Alright, I'm done whinging now. Any thoughts ?

Jerome Heiderscheidt
http://www.studio-ubik.com

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Annoying range selection (i/o points) behaviour
on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:47:19 pm

I don't know if this is a bug, or a "feature" but it's terrible. I'd try submitting it as a bug report but I'm really hoping this is fixed in the next release. Whenever someone tries to tell me FCPX isn't "pro" this is one of the actual issues that can win their argument.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:56:19 pm

I just duplicated the issue. This is definitely a bug. I've never seen this before 10.0.9.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:05:35 am

I have also replicated it. Never seen this before either, so it must be since 10.0.9. I guess that's why no-one has ever complained about it. Submit a bug report.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Jerome Heiderscheidt
on Aug 14, 2013 at 7:51:07 am

Hi all -

Thanks for the replies. I'm certain this was already happening in 10.0 8 since it's with this version that I joined the FCPX "boat" and I've only recently updated to 10.0.9 ... Maybe it didn't exist before 10.0.8 ?

And what about no match frame when a range is selected, no undo for setting/removing ranges, and so many actions that clear the selection ranges ... Can anyone explain to me the point in that ? I understand that you have to start thinking differently about NLE when working with X, but that I don't get.

Jerome Heiderscheidt

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Aug 14, 2013 at 11:33:36 am

There are several things that have changed with FCPX that certainly could not be called "features" imo. The range selection behavior vs i/o points is one of them. You have to get used to your range disappearing if you click anywhere in the Storyline. You can't use them as a strong marker or point indicator the way you can in 7 or MC. True matchframing doesn't really exist in X in the many ways that it's useful in other NLE's.

There are quite a few things that annoy me to all end. I just accept X for the things it does well and try and ignore all the lack of features.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 14, 2013 at 11:42:59 am

Correction:

As I didn't find any other posts about in points shifting or jumping place, nor about goto I or O not working properly, this got me thinking. So I asked our editors if they ever had issues with this and the answer was no.

Then I went back to the system where I did the test yesterday and I saw that I had used native H.264 footage for the test, something we never use in our shop. I tried to replicate your issues again on a ProRes timeline and I could not. I can place I and O points wherever I want, even an 1 frame before the end of a clip to an 1 frame after the start of the following clip and everything always stays in place. Shift+I always brings me to my I point and Shift+O always to my O point. So my question is: are you working natively with any kind of long-GOP video?

As to your other points, I agree to a certain extent:

At this time you do a Match Frame on your timeline, press I to confirm the In point in the matched clip in the Event and then you set a range on your timeline. I find this works, although I agree it would be useful to be able to first set your range on the timeline, then match to I or O. Submit a feature request for this.

ALT+X always clears the range you have set in your timeline, I see no problems with that. I you only want to clear the I or the O points, use ALT+I or ALT+O.

Personally I have no need for Undoing or Redoing ranges, nor have I heard anyone complaining about this in our shop or on forums. But if you would like this to be implemented submit a feature request. The more people ask for a certain feature the higher it will get on the priority list.

Kind regards

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Jerome Heiderscheidt
on Aug 22, 2013 at 8:22:06 am

Hi Ronny,

I am using multiclips with footage shot on C300 cameras as well as GOpros which are recorded through a PIX, so the Gopro footage is Prores, and the C300 is "original"( canon XF 422 50Mbps 1080i50). FCPX won't let me create "optimised" media from the C300 footage.
I tried the I O thing in a prores only timeline and couldn't reproduce the issue , but then I tried with C300 footage and couldn't reproduce it either. I think it might be related to timelines using multi clips.

Jerome Heiderscheidt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]