FORUMS: list search recent posts

* Seeking Advice. Fcp X event files turned black missing after using new version- Project no longer the same :(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Johnson
* Seeking Advice. Fcp X event files turned black missing after using new version- Project no longer the same :(
on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:47:14 pm

I've come across some serious problems with FCPX the last two days. I will try to be as detailed as possible so maybe someone might have a solution. I began editing my music video on a hacked FCPX torrent V. 10.0.5. My friend then introduced the events on my external in his FCPX- but his is updated to 10.0.8. So when I tried opening back up my project on my macbook, I couldn't open it back up unless I updated. Well I couldn't update the hacked version, so I bought the 10.0.9. Once I opened the new version, my project was no longer the same. There were plenty of clips that were all black missing, especially Broll footage above the primary storyline. Also, I cannot break apart my compound clip. I started seeing hope when I found out I can transcode the black missing clips in the events to optimized and they would come back. However- 5 minutes in every time I'm transcoding/rendering, the force quit application error pops up saying " Your Mac OS X startup disk has no memory available for application memory". Can someone please suggest some ideas for me to get rid of this pop up error, transcode all my black clips to normal because the raw footage still does exist, and break apart my compound clip. More notes: My project was saved on my macbook pro hard drive and events are saved on my external hard drive. I think I only used proxies not optimized when I was editing. I tried relinking media.trashing render files, but somehow I believe my startup disc was never full until I bought the new version..I'm also really stressed because this music video is going to MTV but I cannot export it to TV specs because my project seriously got messed up. PLEASE HELP ME OUT, THANKS!

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: * Seeking Advice. Fcp X event files turned black missing after using new version- Project no longer the same :(
on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:31:13 pm

How much RAM do you have in your MBP?

How much space do you have left on your startup drive?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Blake Johnson
Re: * Seeking Advice. Fcp X event files turned black missing after using new version- Project no longer the same :(
on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:39:18 pm

Hi Ronny, I have 16 G of RAM and 144G of space on my start up drive.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:53:02 pm

This can be a either a very complex problem, or a simple one. Let's eliminate.

Check your RAM to make sure. Click the Apple icon and select About This Mac. Is all your RAM OK?

If it is OK: do you have any processes running that would take up a lot of resources? Such as Spotlight Indexing running, Time Machine running, any other backup processes, a virus program...?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Blake Johnson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:04:48 pm

I believe my RAM is good, states I do have 16G. How do I check if it's ok? I checked my activity monitor and nothing stands out of the ordinary. The "start up disk no space" error only started to occur when I jumped to the new 10.0.9 fcpx version from 10.0.5. But yeah nothing else running in the background.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:31:02 pm

Yep. Remember the golden rule of editing: never, EVER update anything while you are in the middle of a project.

But you only seem to get the issue (which often indicates a memory leak) while trying to restore your "black clips", so let's try and find a workaround:

R-click of the black clips in the Event Browser and select Reveal in Finder. Double-click the clip in the Finder window. Does it play in your QT player?

If it plays OK in QT player drag the clip from the Finder window onto the FCPX Event Browser. Does it still show as black in the Event Browser?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Blake Johnson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:04:13 pm

Thanks for sticking with me here Ronny, I appreciate it. So the clips do play in QT. I can't really drag and drop onto the viewer, only place I found where I can drop the file is into the library again, which it pops up. But I wish it popped up in the original clip where my in and outs have been saved. How do I drag the clip to the event browser, is it where "all clips" is being viewed?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:23:37 pm

Oops I think I missed something in your original post.

Just to be clear: all the original clips in your Event Browser are OK, only some of your clips in the timeline show as black clips, is that right?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Blake Johnson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:27:19 pm

No actually a lot of clips in the event browser are black, but I still see the in and out points used within the black clip. Since they are black in the browser, they are also black on the timeline where they are used. The black clips are primarily slow motion B roll that was placed above the primary timeline, I believe. I can right click a black clip and transcode media to optimized, and the clip returns. But when I start doing more clips, the start up disk error pops up and forces me to quit everything.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:49:30 pm

Okay, now I get it.

First thing you should do is refresh your FCPX preferences. If you don't know how to do this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3893

Or use Preference Manager to refresh your prefs, this is much easier: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Then restart FCPX and see if this has solved your issue. If not the only solution to get out of this problematic project seems to be re-encoding the black clips.

If you are able to optimize one clip at a time I think you should do this one by one and shut down and restart your computer after every clip to clear your memory and caches.

I know it's a drag, but it will be very hard to pinpoint the cause of your memory leak at this time and you need to get this project out. So if trashing your prefs does not help try transcoding clip by clip and if this still does not work post back.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Blake Johnson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 7:22:19 pm

Ok will do, thanks for the help, will post back with updates.

Return to posts index

Blake Johnson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:04:40 pm

Trashing preferences didn't work, I guess because it's a brand new version, I'm not sure. I was curious though, everything got messed up because it was introduced to my friends updated version, and I no longer could open the project up on my old version of fcpx. I still have the copy of my old version, and it won't let me open my project. Is there any work around to trick the system into letting me open my project up again in 10.0.5?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 8, 2013 at 9:14:13 pm

Unfortunately no. The database structure was updated between the two versions so there's no going back. The way compound clips work also changed between 10.0.5 and 10.0.6 which may be the root of your issues there (although it is supposed to still support the earlier format provided you don't make any changes)

As has been said, its a brave editor that updates mid project. It sounds like you can at least get the black clips resolved, if painfully. One thought about the error message is to check you're running the right version of OSX. Minimum system requirements changed with 10.0.8 - as did graphics card requirements I think.

As far as the compound clips go you may have to enter them and copy everything out to a new one because of the change to functionality I mentioned, keeping in mind that they work differently now so you may not end up using them the way you did in 10.0.5.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 8, 2013 at 9:16:11 pm

Nope, no going back once you have opened the project using a new version and your Project and Event has been updated. Too much has changed under the hood since 10.0.5.

If trashing prefs didn't work I would try restoring the black clips one by one. To check what really is causing that error message could take a very long time because so many things can make it appear.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Blake Johnson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 9:44:58 pm

Ok so I'm currently transcoding each black clip one by one, and praying everything will work out in the end. I just want to thank you Ronny for your help and sticking with me here. Your response time has been awesome and very helpful for me to better understand what really happened. It is definitely a lesson learned at this point.I'm glad this forum has guys that are really passionate in sharing their wisdom, cheers!

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 8, 2013 at 10:34:17 pm

No problem, I hope everything turns out all right.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:03:54 am

Out of curiosity, what camera format? If this is RED media, you might have to download and install the correct RED installer from RED.com. Just a thought.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:30:22 am

Trash your render files.

It can be done from the file menu on both your project and event when they are selected (individually) in their respective browsers.

Also, congrats on actually paying money for a tool that allows you access to something you like to do.

Someday, you can charge money for it as a service to others. Keep it up.

Return to posts index

Juan Melo
on Dec 31, 2014 at 5:28:49 pm

I have the same issue.
I Fix after try all this recommendations. Jus erasing Render folder in Cache Library and selecting all files and "Relink Files" in File Menu.
After of that issue was fix.
I hope help you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]