FORUMS: list search recent posts

Display Media To Start At 00:00:00:00 in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marlo McKenzie
Display Media To Start At 00:00:00:00 in FCPX?
on Aug 4, 2013 at 2:13:47 am

I have a bunch of transcripts that were transcribed in Qucktime. The source timecode wasn't recorded but the Quicktime, timecode that starts at 0 was recorded. In premiere pro 6 I can alter the timecode in the preferences area to view each clip as if it starts at 0. Is there a way to do that in FCP X? If not, is there a trick that might help me to view it start from 0? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Display Media To Start At 00:00:00:00 in FCPX?
on Aug 4, 2013 at 4:20:00 am

Just dump each clip into it's own project and apply a Timecode generator to it. Share that project and the TC will start from zero.

If you're saying that ALL the clips are in one long video clip, then you'd need to separate them into individual projects if you wanted to do window burns of the ranges starting from zero. But it's not hard.

Just make as many duplicate projects as you want (one for each new Zero point) and then range select and delete the content you don't need from each project.

If you then slap a Timecode generator on each project, it will output that specific range starting at zero.

Remember, when you copy projects you're just copying references. Not footage. So there's no system overhead penalty to speak of.

My first thought - but somebody else might have a more direct way.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 4, 2013 at 1:44:15 pm

Right click in event somewhere and select "New Compound Clip". In custom settings, make sure timecode is 00:00:00:00. Double-click to open in timeline. Drop clips in. Now use that Compound Clip to edit with. Break Apart when you have your clips in place if you like.

Return to posts index

Marlo McKenzie
on Aug 4, 2013 at 6:04:01 pm

Thank you Brett and Bill! I'll try that out. And... maybe i'll find that when I look for the producer's "selects" I'll be able to guestimate well enough to find things.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 4, 2013 at 9:49:28 pm

You can also just use duration. Mark in at the start of a clip in the event, and drag out the out point, looking at the duration at the bottom of the screen.

I suppose you could also place the playhead at the start of clip, then type in the time you want to navigate to. Like 10.02.0 to go to 10min 2 secs.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:26:46 pm

Bummer that the producer isn't running X on his or her laptop as well. You could have gotten a nice keyword collection of Producer Selects -to which you could have added additional material as Editor Selects - then have had a hugely productively meeting at a pub to raise a glass and discuss the similarities and differences.. Modern civilized edit prep that ends u with actual progress having been made on the edit, rather than you having to go back to your desk and waste time recreating all the the stuff that was discussed.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 4, 2013 at 11:46:55 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Right click in event somewhere and select "New Compound Clip". In custom settings,"

This is probably just me, but while this works great - I'm not a big fan of the over-use of Compound Clips in FCP-X Storylines. Primarily because since CCs are reflected back to the Event Browser, overuse of them needlessly clutters up the EB with not only the source clips, but potentially multiple compounds created for who knows what purposes.

I'm kind of protective of my Event Browser, wanting to keep it organized and streamlined.

To my mind the best use of Compound Clips is to "marry" elements such as video and second system audio - then remove the source elements via Rejected tags, leaving only the compound in the EB as a sole source. Similarly, building a title sequence in a compound so that you can pull it out at will, change the text, and re-use it in multiple projects is an excellent use of compound clips.

But I'm hesitant to use them simply like "nested" clips in Legacy, since they have a "connection overhead" that adds complexity back in the EB that then also has to be managed. Projects can be dumped at will. But "looping" back upstream via compounds is something I do as little as I can.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:50:23 pm

Hi Bill,

as long as Apple does not provide us with a TC overlay in X like we had in 7, at our company we are 'forced' to use all sources in Compound Clips. For our kind of editing, there really is no other way, except maybe first indeed rendering them out completely again with a different timecode.

We don't have THAT many clips generally in an Event for a given project, and it works okay for us. It has its advantages and disadvantages (more advantages then disadvantages, X having a modern render engine helps). But all this compounding or putting clips in a seperate projects, all because of limited timecode stuff, is exactly the reason why I've been sending feedback to Apple for over a year to talk about more and better display options for timecode in X.
And it's really something we *need*. Untill then, for a lot of our projects, we first have to put everything in seperate compound clips.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:11:10 pm

Matthieu,

I'm a bit confused. The timecode generator in X easily displays a TC overlay on any storyline you apply it to. That there's no fixed zero point in the "floating" nature of an X timeline is something I find truly useful, since I don't always know the length or nature or even "if" I'll be using an opening sequence. I think having the option to work "middle out" is very liberating. I doubt there's anything I did with time code display in my 12 years working with Legacy that I can't also do in X. Even if the steps or path might be different. What are you saying an X editor can't do to get a properly useful window dub now, that you could do before?

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:33:33 pm

You have a timecode generator in FCPX, but it reads the timecode of a timeline.

You don't have a timecode overlay like in 7, where you could see for instance, if you paused, all the timecodes of the clips in the timeline, so you could see if they were in sync or not.

I could give the details about why I would need this, but we already discussed this in a thread about TC options in X. It has to do with editing images from medical monitors, where it's not always easy to see if something is in sync or not.

We have a work-around, namely, working inside compound clips first. This allows us to put for instance, 6 layers of images on top of each other, all in picture in picture, and all with their own timecode generator on it and their own label. It works, and to X's credit, it can play all these 6 compound clips at the same time, all with an unrendered timecode generator on it.
It works great in that we can give, trough the timecode generator, each image it's own label, use it trough the complete editing stage, and just before export, just go trough the compound clips, put the timecode generators on invisible with a fast V click, and just export. If we need it again to check stuff, just click V trough the compounds again, and it updates in every project again.
It's a work-around but it works, and it has its benefits. And for the amount of clips we have, it doesn't add that much extra work.
We could also put it in the Event Browser on the clips themselves, by Opening them in their own timeline (without compounding), but then I've noticed, for every clip in the timeline (if you work with 6 hour clips, which you use small portions of in a 40-minute timeline), you have to open EVERY clip in the timeline again in its each timeline, and remove the Timecode GEnerator. With Compounds, we just remove them on the master clips in the Event Browser, and it ripples trough in all the edits. Very handy.

Again, I can give the complete details about why I would need this, but I already did in another thread, and it's a pretty long explanation. Point being is: X's options with timecode really could be better. Out the top of my head, it would be great to have a timecode overlay canvas like we had in 7, or maybe as a hud, I don't know. It would be great to be able to COPY and PASTE timecode in the Dashboard. It would be great to be able to give clips a second timecode without compounding them first. It would be nice to have a timecode reader and a timecode generator. And AUX timecode.
So, yes, I think the TC options in X could use some extra work and features.

My complaints don't have that much to do with the magnetic timeline, which for certain work is great, and for other work we just work-around it by putting clips as connected clips in the timeline. Works.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:35:32 pm

Thanks for the explanation. If I understand you, X actually does what you need it to do - just not the way you would like it to do it. It's a matter of convenience rather than capability. Which I get.

Did you investigate doing your sync time coding in the Angle editor? Did that help or create more issues?

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Aug 6, 2013 at 8:05:58 pm

We can't use that because we need all the layers at the same time, with picture-in-pictures.

Multicam is more if you switch between angles, what we don't need, and in the beginning we thought about using it, but we decided not to after some tests.

Well, we get by now, but we still have to do extra steps that we didn't need to do in 7. And I just think X is limited in TC options. Not having seperate readers and generator, filters. Not being able to copy and paste into the dashboard. Etc.

That being said, working with compound clips DOES give us extra advantages too, so it's not all bad, and I'm glad with our switch to X, but there are definately things X can do better that it doesn't do now.
It's not because I love X and switched to it -as well as let a complete company where I did freelance work switch to it with my reputation on the line - that I can't be critical of some areas where I think they can do better.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 12, 2017 at 9:06:00 pm

Bill,

I have exactly the same feelings about compound clips. I prefer to create independent compound clips so that I don't accidentally effect other projects or uses within the project. Can't you create an event in the EB and create a smart collection for compound clips so that they don't make the EB a cluttered mess? I wish Apple would add the option to create a "nested clip" that functioned just like a compound but not showing in the EB as its own clip.

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Nikola Bizic
on Oct 14, 2016 at 3:15:40 pm

1. Create compound clip with frame rate that ypur QT is.
2. In that empty compound clip put time code generator use duration that you need.
3. Use that compound clip as a overlay for any video in eny proyect sa your always start 0 time code...

MacPro octocore 2.8
macbook pro

Return to posts index

Steve Kokor
on Oct 16, 2016 at 10:00:09 am

• Display window frame count •
For the life of me I don’t get how to zero this out, if its possible. Every time I think about this it makes me google sniff for an hour, then I just get used to it. Why does the display show a cumulative frame count of (I assume) all edits, instead zero out for each project? Why would anyone ever want to know the total frames used over multiple edits anyway? The 85,492 frames I’m looking at makes me just wanna tape over it & just write 0. Thanks

Return to posts index

David Cox
on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:16:19 pm

In FCPX 10.2.3, create a new project, drop the clip into the project. Click on the project in the project browser and hit 'modify settings' in the inspector. In the dialogue box that appears in the centre of the screen, the second window down is 'starting timecode'. Set it to zero. Is that what you mean?

Return to posts index

michael leavitt
on May 8, 2017 at 1:47:01 pm

This is an older thread but I had the same problem and just figured it out (I think).

• First in the browser choose your clip, make sure you don't have any ranges (Mark>Clear Selected Ranges)
  • Press Control+P (on the Mac) and numerically key in your frame 4500 becomes 00:00:45:00.
  • Press "I" to set In-point
  • Press Control+P again and numerically key your end point
  • Press "O" to set out-point
  • Now grab the selection in the browser (it will have a yellow box around it)
  • Drag it to your main timeline

I've found I don't have to make compound clips or insert timecode generators.

Hope this is helpful 😃

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]