FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pasting Thai text into FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Hustings
Pasting Thai text into FCPX
on Aug 2, 2013 at 2:27:47 pm

Hi Pasture,

I'm getting endless headaches when trying to paste Thai text into FCPX 10.0.8 & Motion 5.0.7. It's a very hit and miss affair. 6 times out of 10 it will paste the text directly into the text box within the Title Generator Inspector.. no problems at all and it all looks great.
The other 4 times, I hit cmd&v and nothing happens.. (i do see the quick blue highlight over the edit menu as i press the paste shortcut)
What's really bugging me is that I can copy and paste that text to my hearts content between Text Edit, Safari and Photoshop and the text always displays perfectly.

The workaround I figured out for Motion was to paste the text directly into the XML after opening the motion project in text edit. Re-opened in Motion and the pesky text was now displaying in all it's glory. I tried the same thing with FCPX and no dice.. I couldn't 'find and replace' as with Motion project file.

I will probably create the remaining subs in photoshop and import them as pngs but I just don't see any rhyme or reason as to why FCPX is behaving like this. (unless it a specific Thai accent or character it doesn't like?)

I've trashed both app prefs, checked validity of Thai font (Thonburi), tried plain text instead of rtf and still no joy, even flushed the RAM. No difference.

My other option would be to import srt via xml but I'm pretty eager to figure out why this is happening. I know FCP 7/X has always been poor at handling non romanic text (Arabic in particular) but at least with Arabic it never worked properly and I knew where I stood! Thai kinda works and kinda doesn't work and that bugs me :)

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly received!

Cheers,

Simon

simonhustings.com

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Pasting Thai text into FCPX
on Aug 3, 2013 at 7:15:33 am

This is a known problem, even with special characters in roman languages FCPX will crash.

Try to paste the text directly into the text field(s) in the canvas. They normally (depending on type of title) behave like rtf text documents. Don't use the Inspector window for text entries at all.

You may try my XTI or TitleExchange to convert your SRT to FCPXML. I know from several users and my tests that it works fine with non roman fonts.

http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/TitleExchange/index.html

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:55:28 am

Thanks Andreas,

I tried pasting directly into the canvas but it had no effect. I finished off creating the problem slides in Photoshop and importing them into FCPX. There are a lot of things to like about FCPX but some of the bugs that have manifested since the death of 7 are really quite unwelcome. (even more dodgy text handling being one of them!!)

When I get time I will definitely try out XTI. Thanks for the suggestion!

All the best,

Simon

Check out the FREE new Edit Essentials Final Cut Pro tutorial series on Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/channels/editessentials
---
Follow us on Twitter: EditEssentials

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:54:47 pm

Hi Simon,

Would you mind to send me a Thai SRT just to check it.
Maybe it's just the title effect which doesn't work.

email: kiel at spherico dot com

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]