FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing clips from a media folder. Cant See subfolders.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Ryan
Importing clips from a media folder. Cant See subfolders.
on Aug 2, 2013 at 10:51:01 pm

I need to import clips from a clients HD that i am using for this job. i cant change the file structure of anything , only add to it.
There is one folder loaded with all the clips and media i need, It also has alot of media i dont need.
My problem is this. The folder i need to look into has all sub folders with everything organized. When i look into that folder in fcpx import no sub folders are found, just all the files from the subfolders. like 3000 files. How can i view the sub folders?
in FCPx 10.0.7
i go to Import/Media. When i look at the folders on this external, to the right of the folders there is a file type tab and all the folders are marked "Folder" and the folder i need to get into to import some of the sub folders contents is marked "Media Folder" under the file type tab.
That is the only explanation i can see, is there a way around that so I can see all the sub folders?

Here i can see the folder i need to get into.

When i open that folder i get hit with 3,262 items without the sub folders. To the right is what the file system looks like on the external.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Importing clips from a media folder. Cant See subfolders.
on Aug 3, 2013 at 12:43:03 am

Have you tried filtering down to only the clips you want in Finder and then just dragging into an Event?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 3, 2013 at 3:25:44 am

You can't double click GA and have it show you subfolders?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 3, 2013 at 7:15:03 am

What surprises me is that you get a thumbnail view option at the bottom of the import window when you double-click the GA folder. Seems there is something inside that GA folder that makes FCPX recognize it as a card archive.

The only way to get around this is not to double-click the GA folder to open it, but to just disclose the GA triangle at the root level of your drive to reveal the subfolders that are inside GA. Then you should be able to access and import each individual subfolder you want.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 3, 2013 at 3:22:03 pm

I wonder what would happen if you temporarily renamed the PRIVATE folder to RENAMEMETO_PRIVATE.

There is some sort false card structure in there, I agree.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 3, 2013 at 6:30:31 pm

Great idea, worth trying. "PRIVATE" is indeed considered as a card structure by FCPX.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Aug 3, 2013 at 7:06:29 pm

YES THAT WORKED!!
i just changed the name of the PRIVETE folder and now all the sub folders show up.
That just saved me lots of time.

let your fingers do the walking

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 3, 2013 at 7:19:27 pm

Thanks for confirming. Good to know for the future.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Aug 3, 2013 at 10:58:09 pm

You should send feedback to Apple on this.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:29:06 pm

Hey Guys,

Encountered the same problem over the week-end. Luckily enough, I found this only thread on the web that speaks of it. Changed the folder name as you instructed and it worked. Until I added other new week-end footage into that folder, gave me the same problem. I renamed the folder again and everything appeared again. I just added a single file into that folder and I now back as square one, folder won't appear anymore. Also, rename the folder isn't working anymore.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 3, 2013 at 1:44:16 pm

Can you tell us more about your folder structure?

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Sep 3, 2013 at 2:39:49 pm

Sorry about that, I should have mentioned.

I'm using a Firewire800 external hard drive format for Mac. On the hard drive, I have a three folders which include the two FCPX Project and Event folders and my footage folder called Video Production. In the Video Production folder, I have more subfolders for each project.

I manage to see the External HD when in the import screen, but when I try getting into the Video product folder, i see nothing. I have some MOV files and they don't even show up.

On friday, when I read this thread, I changed the Video Production folder to PRIVATE, and that worked. I added new footage in the folder and it did the same thing. I changed the folder name again to PRIVATE Folder, and all files and folders appeared. I added new footage yesterday and all disappeared again.

What am I doing that could be causing this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:41:36 pm

There should be nothing named PRIVATE on a directory that you expect to browse in FCPX.

Only a folder with the appropriate camera original footage from your camera should have a PRIVATE folder in it. For example, you might want a folder named 'Footage' then the first card you shoot should be in a folder called CARD_01 and in there is the camera directory with the PRIVATE folder.

Footage > Card_01 > "camera media"
Footage > Card_02 > "camera media"

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:53:44 pm

That makes sense. I guess that's what I currently have:

Video_Production > Beauty Commercial > "Camera Media"
Video_Production > Wind Turbines Doc > "Camera Media"

When I try to go into the Video_Production folder, I see no subfolders (Beauty Commercial etc...)

Colin: I will try and take a snapshot for you this afternoon to illustrate this. It looks exactly like the images from the original posters.

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:10:54 pm

can you take some screenshots "Command+shift+3"

let your fingers do the walking

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Sep 3, 2013 at 11:20:28 pm

The first image is the import screen.

When I click on the arrow next to Video Production, I only see one file and no folders whatsoever.

As you can see, I have many more folders on my hard drive and FCPX doesn't show them...?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:08:17 am

It's the DCIM folder.

Move it or rename it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:16:39 am

You nailed it on the money Jeremy. Thanks a bunch. I'm going to start better organizing my footage like all of you were saying earlier. I think that's the best idea, and good work practice.

Thanks everyone

Vince

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:38:40 am

Glad it's working for you.

Fcpx is very 'strange' in how it handles some camera formats.

DCIM is typically a media folder for canon DSLR and some other cameras.

PRIVATE is another trigger, I know it's used in avchd encodings and probably some MXF structures.

Fcpx is probably looking for these trigger folders to recognize when a media card is attached so it can make a "camera archive" if you so choose.

When there's other media in the encompassing folder (the folder that is holding the DCIM or PRIVATE folder) it ignores it.

All camera media should be organized in a folder per card shot. It keeps things easy to track and keeps all needed directories in place, at least that's the way I like to work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Patrick Watson
on May 17, 2016 at 10:01:47 pm

Hey guys,

Know this is an old thread but the same thing just happened to me. If my AVCHD content is in the same parent folder as other folders with media that I want to use, FCX totally ignores the directory structure and just feeds me a huge list of every piece of media in the parent directory....not just video, but stills and .pds as well.

The "fix" was to take the AVCHD files/directories OUT of the same parent directory where I have other content for this project, restart FCX and bing! Directory structure is back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]