FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLM Imports from Premiere Audio is separate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brad hilton
XLM Imports from Premiere Audio is separate
on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:49:07 pm

I'm working on a big project and an editor I'm working uses premiere. He is helping to setup the sequences that I'll be finished off. I'm getting xml's from him that import into FCPX no problem. The issue is that the audio is separated from the Video files. I can go and shift+f, drag the clip in and replace it, but that would take forever and we are talking about a lot of footage. I also dont want to have to make new compound clips for each cut.

Anyone know of a simple way to have FCPX re-conform (lack of better word) the video and audio clips so I dont have a mess?

I thought of using plural eyes but didn't see a way that would work.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: XLM Imports from Premiere Audio is separate
on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:52:27 pm

What are the formats involved? Do they have matching timecode already?

Return to posts index

brad hilton
on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:57:12 pm

It's converted to pro res, the files are all syncing up fine. The audio file and the video are coming form the same file so yes the time code is the same.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Aug 2, 2013 at 12:27:59 am

That doesn't make much sense. You're saying you get an XML from Premiere- they are not really compatibile so maybe you're getting an FCPXML somehow? Then you have ProRes clips that appear with no audio on a project timeline- also doesn't make much sense. Post some screenshots please.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 2, 2013 at 2:33:42 am

I bet you used 7toX?

I'm pretty sure there is no way in fcpx to set audio component (channel) configs from the XML.

The only way to translate, currently, is to keep everything separate.

Shift-f, then shift-r will replace the clip with audio and keep most timings in tact.

You should double check this with Intelligent Assistance as I'm going from memory.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 2, 2013 at 2:02:23 am

The only way to get from Premiere to FCPX is to export FCP7 XML then convert it to FCPXML. The result is that audio is placed on it's own "track" (secondary storyline) and the video has no audio attached. As Brad said, you need to replace the video on the primary storyline with a new copy that has audio.

I had to do it a while back and ended up using a keystroke macro app, set up so that I only had to hit one button and it would find the clip under the playhead in the event library, replace the timeline version with a new copy with audio attached, and move on to the next clip. Took an hour or so to set up the macro but saved me lots of time when it came to replacing hundreds of cuts.

Unfortunately, I've re-installed the computer a couple of times since then and can't remember what app it was I used.

[EDIT] It was Keyboard Maestro

As much as i hate to say it if I had to do it again I'd probably just take out a Creative Cloud subscription for the duration of the project and edit in Premiere.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

brad hilton
on Aug 2, 2013 at 3:00:42 am

Yup this is exactly whats happening with 7tox, and I kind of knew there wasn't a solution just really hoping there way. The macro sounds interesting... ill try it and see how fast it is.

Thanks guys.

Brad

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 2, 2013 at 11:38:14 am

To make it clear: it's NOT a bug of 7ToX, it's the way FCPX can read or handle XMLs.
So you have to use additional apps to "mimic" keyboard strokes to get this kind of work done in a time which is acceptable.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 3, 2013 at 1:08:27 pm

When X imports it's own FCPXML the audio remains attached/embedded, so surely it's possible. But since the audio in XML is not attached, then there's probably no way for 7 to x to determine if it was attached or if the user even wanted it attached.

And if you go the shift X shift R method to replace with audio versions, you'll also have to deal with WHAT audio is on in the inspector. IOW you'll get all the audio tracks associated when you might have had only a couple in Premiere/7.

The same goes in reverse. When going from X to 7/Premiere, just turning off audio tracks in the inspector doesn't turn them off in XML. Have to disable them with V in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]