FORUMS: list search recent posts

The difference in dissolves

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Colgate
The difference in dissolves
on Aug 1, 2013 at 7:18:37 pm

Howdy.

Maybe it's me, or the 3 systems I have 10.0.8 running on, but to me, the dissolves in FCPX look different than the basic cross dissolve in FCP7.

Apologies if this topic is old and discussed, but I honestly don't remember this being covered before.

Between projects today, I made 2 PNGs with bands of white, shades of grey, and black. One was horizontal, one was vertical.

When I dissolve between them in FCP7 and FCPX and sample the exported frame at mid-dissolve, I get significantly different values. Even more odd is when I place the second still as a connected clip above the primary storyline, and then dissolve to it. it is significantly different from the other two.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: The difference in dissolves
on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:23:58 pm

No doubt they are night and day different under the hood as well- not sounding argumentative but what is your point? No one anywhere is saying every edit made in FCP7 is going to be 1:1 identical in every way to one made in X (or any other NLE for that matter).

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:35:25 pm

To me, the dissolves look "wrong" and inconsistent.

First, a dissolve should look the same whether it is in the primary storyline, or dissolved to a connected clip - there should be no difference, and yet there is, clearly, and numerically.

When I describe it to others, I describe it as like a "non-additive mix", or NAM. Essentially the incoming highlights in darks come through in a nonlinear fashion and different from the transition in the highlights. In some ways, it has the feeling of a key, or a compositing mode.

The sensibility of the transition is different, and not necessarily better.

Anyone who wants the test images and results can ask off-list if desired.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Aug 2, 2013 at 12:30:14 am

It's more likely you're accustomed to the way they look in FCP7. You can search through the past 2 years of FCPX discussion on this board and I'll bet you won't find another discussion calling out the dissolves in X as somehow 'wrong'. That said, you can certainly do some searching for other dissolve plugins that might give you the more or less additive mix that suits your personal taste.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:39:51 am

[James Cude] "It's more likely you're accustomed to the way they look in FCP7."

I am accustomed to the way dissolves look in FCP7 and Premiere. FCPX's dissolve do look different, and not in a good way, unlike the Slide transition which is different, but in a way I think is better.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 2, 2013 at 2:58:27 am

I wonder if this is the result of X dumping Quicktime?

Quicktime always had "math issues' with some types of compositing.

The way I understand it, they blew out all the quicktime code when they went to AV Foundation and Core Video and so now all graphics handling benefits from the 64bit floating point math underpinnings of the new code.

If that's true (and I'm not saying it is, just speculating) then the "look" of a dissolve might in some ways depend on the underlying resolution and constitution of the data streams being mixed. So a dissolve between two RED clips, might have a lot more going on than the dissolve between two H-264 DSLR streams?

Again, just speculation. What's not speculation is that the plumbing is ALL NEW in X. And it's not the same as the standard plumbing that we used in FCP-Legacy or Premier or AVID for that matter.

I'll leave it for the graphics gurus to weigh in on how (or how NOT) it might be doing dissolve calculations differently in the new environment.

I will say I just finished a music video piece featuring a 1930's style torch singer and I used a couple of very long slow dissolves (120 - and 240 frames) and they looked really lovely across the dissolve range.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 2, 2013 at 3:52:09 pm

That is interesting because some of the cross dissolves I have used in FCPX seem to almost flash back and forth between the two. I never researched it to see if it depends on the speed of the transition or something else. Anyway, it was an unpleasant result. Are there some good workarounds or other approaches if you don't like the supplied transition?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 2, 2013 at 4:49:51 pm

If you go to the transition parameters in the inspector, there is a multitude of adjustments you can make.

Have you messed around with those?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 2, 2013 at 9:39:39 pm

Also if you're truly obsessive about it, you might go in an ramp the opacity of each clip as an individual item.

That way you would probably have absolute control of the state of each picture at any point in the cross dissolve transition.

It would be one way to deal with, for example, a character in a white dress dissolving into a scene of one in a red dress. I'd expect in a situation like that that the white dress would be much more "present" in a cross dissolve at the 50/50 mark than the other.

So I suppose it would be possible to have the white dress keyframed to maybe 20% or 30% opacity half way through the transition rather than 50%?

Or maybe what Jeremy is suggesting can already do that and it's just one of the zillion things in X that I haven't had the need or time to mess with yet.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 3, 2013 at 12:19:51 am

In my opinion, there's nothing to be obsessive about except to know that it looks different.

Fcpx does offer all kinds of transfer modes and also a few ease points in what was a simple cross dissolve.

First, I'd start with the "film" and "video" settings and the ease controls.

Then, have a look at all the transfer modes from there. It takes a while to mess around as there is a decent amount of manipulation for a dissolve.

Return to posts index

Matt Galuszewski
on Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43:53 am

For what it's worth Premiere Pro dissolves match Final Cut Pro X dissolves when Premiere uses GPU acceleration for the Mercury Engine.

I like the Premiere Pro GPU and FCP X dissolves.

As I said, for what it's worth.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/378/4401

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 3, 2013 at 2:02:27 pm

For fades to and from black, I always use the "Dark" setting. The "normal" setting goes to quickly from black to the video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]