FORUMS: list search recent posts

Key frames and video animation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Key frames and video animation
on Jul 31, 2013 at 4:15:31 am

I’m not quite getting the logic of how to key frame with certain effects.

Trying to Key frame a video animation: zoom.
I want the center of the blur to follow an action across the frame.

I have the inspector open, the video animation window open over the clip.
"Zoom center" option is selected from the pull down in the video animation window.

The center position is animated in the viewer as a bull’s eye with a tail that if stretched increases the degree of blur. The bulls eye sets where the blur is centered (like the eye of a storm) and can be adjusted by moving it in the viewer.

The bulls eye animation appears in the viewer only if the zoom center is highlighted in the video animation window (sometimes, other times it stays on). Yet to move the play head to the point in the video where I want to set the next key frame, I have to click outside the video animation window. Now I loose the bulls eye (sometimes). So I have to move where I want the next key frame. Then clip back inside the animation window. Not a huge deal but a pain.

Sometimes option-k adds a key frame and sometimes it waits for me to change the position of the bulls eye. Really?

In the inspector I can pull down Look> Variable. I assume I can key frame the degree of blur. But I don’t get how. When I adjust the blur while I’m key framing the bulls eye movement, it keeps the last blur setting throughout. Is this something I must set in the inspector rather than in the viewer/video animation window? Is there a correct order of operation to follow?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Key frames and video animation
on Jul 31, 2013 at 8:43:46 pm

I had never used this effect but just did a test. Everything works. Just do all your keyframing in the Inspector and don't drag anything in the Viewer, much easier. I can keyframe the zoom amount and at the same time use the X and Y sliders to animate the position of the effect.

You don't need to Show Video Animation to do any keyframing. Just use it if you need to move keyframes over time after you have created them in the Inspector.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 1, 2013 at 4:47:44 am

Thanks Ronny. I'll give it a try. Not too impressed with video animation window. Just two small to work with and seems redundant. Though I like your suggestion to use it after the fact. Can't that also be modified in the inspector? I'd really like to do all this more blown up in a viewer/monitor. Same with audio key framing. I just find it physically tedious to be clicking on these small lines and micro-windows. But it gets easier after you've had enough practice.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 1, 2013 at 4:37:32 pm

Craig,

I think we all agree on the fact that keyframing in FCPX needs an overhaul. It's not really unworkable but there are many little issues that can be irritating at least, and the "Keyframe Editor" is indeed not what it really should be. But I'm sure the many feedback reports we all have sent about keyframing will not go unnoticed (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]