FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ken Burns is NOT Obeying!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Ken Burns is NOT Obeying!
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38:31 pm

That title is a riff on a MacBreak Studio tutorial on making the Ken Burns effect obey. I can do it, but only to a point. Can't figure out why the system breaks down after working right a couple of times.

I have five people on a slide and I thought I would use the Ken Burns effect for the animation starting from full-frame hold - push in to first person - hold - move to second person - hold - move to third person - hold - .. and so forth.

Works beautifully on the full-frame hold, push to first person and hold and move to second person and hold. Then move to the third person does not match frame after the hold on the second person. The move from the second person to the third person slightly shifts and then moves. The moves before it are perfect.

Start with a full frame that goes from the beginning and is timed to end at the end of all the moves Blade the full frame where you want to push in on the first person. Apply the KB effect to the clip on the right where the first move is to start . Apple the KB effect which defaults to starting full-frame and adjust the end to be tight on the first person. Right now it's a slow move that lasts for the rest of the still frame length. But, blade it where the first move ends. Highlight the move from full to first person, park the playhead on the last frame, Option-F to extend a still frame. Right now, you have a full-frame hold and smooth move to the first person and hold. Bring up the rest of the original clip that has a copy of the first move on it, reverse it so it starts where you left off on the first person and adjust the end to be on the second person. Blade the clip short to give you the move to the second person quickly. Extend the last frame of that move to hold on the second person.

Good so far (for me).

Now, when I try to move from the second person to the third person, the third person to the fourth, etc, there's always a slight shift. The glitch arises after the flawless first two moves.

Clues anyone?

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Ken Burns is NOT Obeying!
on Jul 31, 2013 at 10:57:07 am

Don,

For me this method works, but it could be that you park your playhead on the wrong frame when you create your freeze frame. It's easy to get on a wrong frame working on a bladed clip.

To avoid this you can use a different method that is just as fast and never fails for me:

Move 1

Drop clip on the timeline, select Crop>Ken Burns, set Start on full frame and End on Person 1.
Check the animation and when the playhead stops at the end press ALT+F to extend a freeze frame.

Move 2

Copy the Move 1 clip and paste it behind the freeze frame.
Select Crop>Ken Burns and press the Swap button to reverse the animation, then set End on Person 2.
Check the animation and when the playhead stops at the end press ALT+F to extend a freeze frame.

Move 3

Copy the Move 2 clip and paste it behind the freeze frame.
Select Crop>Ken Burns and press the Swap button to reverse the animation, then set End on Person 3.

Move 4

Copy the Move 3 clip and paste it behind the freeze frame.
Select Crop>Ken Burns and press the Swap button to reverse the animation, then set End on Person 4.

Etc...

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: Ken Burns is NOT Obeying!
on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:48:11 pm

Although you describe essentially what I'm doing Ronny, something you said triggered an idea; "but it could be that you park your playhead on the wrong frame when you create your freeze frame".

So, instead of grabbing the still from the last frame of the outgoing clip, I took a still frame from the first frame of the incoming clip. The incoming clip has the same KB effect on it but reversed.

Now I have silky smooth moves between five people with holds on each even though the moves change direction between the second and third person.

What confused me was that that moves and holds on the first two people were perfect but faulty from the third person forward. That was a stumper! But, I figured out what was going on.

I was taking the still (hold) frame from the wrong clip. I'm sorry to say Steve Martin, but the MacBreak Studio segment on "Making Ken Burns Obey" was in error on where to steal the hold frame. Your demo looked good but because your moves were so slow that the flaw wasn't apparent. Please know I say this with deep respect for your knowledge and follow your videos closely.

What was going on was that grabbing and holding on the last frame of the outgoing clip was one frame short of completing the move. The first frame of the incoming clip would START with its first frame in the completed position, thus a small move between the hold clip and the next move in the direction established by the outgoing clip. If you were, say, going to the right in one KB clip, then the next KB clip would start with the frame that is the completion of the previous KB clip.

Clear as mud, I know, but try it and you'll understand. What I'm trying to say is that the first frame of the next move was actually the completion of the previous move. That's where I needed to grab the still frame for the hold sections. When I did the move completed in the correct direction and all my moves were smooth despite changing direction.

Man, I understand what I'm trying to say but its so hard to put it into words!

Thank you Ronny,

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]