FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.0.9 is out. Just a minor update.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
T. Payton
10.0.9 is out. Just a minor update.
on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:33:55 pm

Just updated to 10.0.9. Looks like a minor update to fix some nasty bugs. I didn't update the databases for events or projects, so it is a minor update indeed.

I'm sure this means that 10.1 has been brewing for quite some time. The next version of FCPX should be significant.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 10.0.9 is out. Just a minor update.
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38:28 pm

I'll take it. Please, fix this thing.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 31, 2013 at 12:55:52 am

Hmm... no 10.0.9 available for me yet. Doesn't seem to have found it's way to Australia.

[Edit] or more correctly, the app store has decided I don't own FCPX and wants me to buy it again..

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:01:05 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "[Edit] or more correctly, the app store has decided I don't own FCPX and wants me to buy it again.. "

Ouch. Sign out and sign in.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:42:42 pm

It will probably be a full year since 10.0.6 came out by the time 10.1 is released.

I'm thinking late October, but that may be dependant on the launch of both Mavericks and the MacPro.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 31, 2013 at 2:27:42 pm

I also think the next fcpx will definitely be a MacPro/Mavericks launch event.

I think that the Tags integration with the OS will be pretty cool. Fcpx is already primed for it.

Then, Apple has to go out and sell a ton of new MacPros and the announced fcpx opimization will help that cause.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 31, 2013 at 9:24:16 pm

I agree. I think there will be features, like proper multi-monitor support and GPU accellerated goodness, that will only be available in Mavericks and when run on a Mac Pro. I won't be surprised if 10.1 is a new purchase rather than a free upgrade with Mavericks and probably only the more recent Macs (late 2012 onwards?) as the minimum requirement.

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 31, 2013 at 9:30:33 pm

I don't think the MacPro optimization will be the big deal. If you've got a new MacPro, great- but most won't.

The good thing about the MacPro is that it has ended the discussion on Apple walking away from a high-end machine. It may not be THE high end machine everyone wanted, but it closes the door on the "no more MacPro" discussions. And that was important. The release of Logic Pro X is is also a good bellwether for Apples interest in the Pro market.

But ultimately I think its what features and improvements they've made to the software since last October that will continue to chip away at the doubters arguments that "it's not Pro software", and spurn new adoption.

A year later, the big issues still remain:
• audio mixing
• collaborative workflow
• motion round-tripping
• timeline organization

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:39:35 am

[Marcus Moore] "I don't think the MacPro optimization will be the big deal. If you've got a new MacPro, great- but most won't. "

I agree it won't be the big deal and I'm hoping there will be new features that address some of the remaining reasons that people give for not using FCPX but Apple have a history of tying features to particular hardware in IOS and I won't be surprised to see it happen here as well.

for example, if they gave a new FCPX a customisable UI based on the new multi-monitor code in Mavericks and didn't want to bloat it by also keeping support for the previous code, then Mavericks becomes the minimum requirement for that version of FCPX.

And I'm sure FCPX will continue to run on recent hardware but it's not too much of a leap to think that there may be some features that are only available if you have dual GPUs, or some other Mac Pro feature. How many current users would have to buy new hardware if they even did something as basic as raising the minimum GPU RAM requirement from 256 to 512mb?

Anyway, time will tell I guess...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:38:57 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "[Marcus Moore] "I don't think the MacPro optimization will be the big deal. If you've got a new MacPro, great- but most won't. "

I agree it won't be the big deal and I'm hoping there will be new features that address some of the remaining reasons that people give for not using FCPX but Apple have a history of tying features to particular hardware in IOS and I won't be surprised to see it happen here as well."

I think it'll be a pretty big deal.

Schiller mentioned it in the MacPro keynote, pre announced optimization for it, and Mavericks will also be a lot more AV Foundation based.

I think fcpx will run pretty well on the new MacPros and Mavericks and the new hardware will be the optimum combination.

Sure, you can run it on other machines, but the MacPro will make it sing, along with OS tie ins and features that will
improve the experience on any Mac.

Secretly, Apple is slowly going away from a traditional folder and file system.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 2, 2013 at 2:17:29 am

I guess I meant that the Mac Pro is a huge deal but I expect you'll still be able to use FCPX comfortably without one. it'll just be that those with Mac Pros will be able to do bigger/better/faster/cooler stuff.

I'm glad I updated from my ancient 2006 Mac Pro to an interim low-end 2013 iMac 27" with the intention of a new Mac Pro in 2014. I love it when a plan comes together :-)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 2, 2013 at 3:16:52 am

That's me as well. Switched my interim laptop with my wifes 2011 iMac while waiting for the new MacPro. It's been a competent machine, but I'm excited to be on a Mac Pro again. The lack of an SSD in this thing after having one in the laptop is especially painful.

There are very few things I could see being "exclusive" to the MacPro. This discounts the general speed and performance benefits that come with a faster machine.

1. BACKGROUND, background rending. Apple says as much on the MacPro website. While perhaps not technically MacPro exclusive, this feature could very well be limited to dual-GPU machines.

2. Dual scopes. Again, this could possibly be tied to dual GPU setups.

If Mavericks does bring some OS based enhancements, then perhaps 10.9 might be required to run FCPX 10.1. I'm sure that would cheese some people off, but Apple is very keen to keep users up to date with OSX. At this stage, there'd be very few machines that people would want to use FCPX on that couldn't run Mavericks.

While the MacPro is a nice tie-in to launch a major new version of Final Cut, I truly hope that there will be much more meat to ACTUAL improvements in the software. We've been getting a couple features here and there for 2 years now, but with a YEAR between 10.0.6 and now, there's development room there to make some BIG improvement to the software. In UI, in editing workflow, in cross-program compatibility...

They've had a year to execute on user and industry feedback- if MacPro optimization is the big FCPX news this fall, I'll be a bit disappointed.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 2, 2013 at 3:24:21 am

It's going to be a big deal.

:)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 2, 2013 at 3:44:46 am

I think it will too. At least I really hope so.

After moving 2 of my clients over to FCPX in the last year, I've run into some resistance from a couple of my other close-working still-FCP7 editors. They know and trust me, but the volume of negativity from other people they know in post can be, I'm sure, unsettling. My response, and I'm fairly sure I'm correct, is that much of the sh*t talk is coming from editors who've either NEVER opened the software, opened it make a quick judgement and bailed, or finally tried it VERY early on and haven't kept up with how big the improvements have been.

While features are nice, I think by biggest hopes for 10.1 are at a very fundamental level. FCPX presents some radical departures from other NLEs. Where they've implemented a complete solution, like Event metadata and logging structure, the benefits are clear. Its in the timeline that I think FCPX needs to fill the gaps and make a clear case for the magnetic/connected/"trackless" paradigm they're presenting. The Project timeline is a mess, and desperately needs to use the metadata at least as effectively as Events do in terms of organization. As I've said many times before, right now the Project timeline is like The Event browser if there were no Keyword/Smart collections. It's a soup of clips. And while in simple timelines that's no an issue, the deeper it gets the more frustrating it becomes.

Especially after seeing Stack Tracks in the new Logic, I can SEE very clearly a Roles-based structure which brings clear organization back to the timeline, without sacrificing the flexible editing that FCPX "trackless" editing allows.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 2, 2013 at 4:41:01 pm

[Marcus Moore] "It's a soup of clips. And while in simple timelines that's no an issue, the deeper it gets the more frustrating it becomes."

Cpmpletely, but there has been major change in the timeline since 10.0.0, we just need more of it.

I'm sure that Apple is on it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]