FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make it faster!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Brown
Make it faster!
on Jul 30, 2013 at 4:29:31 pm

First off, I am not very tech savvy, have only been working with computers about 5 years & only 1.5 with macs.

Machine Specs:
2008 Mac Pro 2.8, 8 core | 18gb DDR2 FB ram |
Graphics: 1) ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT | 2) NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
3 22' displays.
2 1-tb HDs (non solid state)

FCPX 10.0.5

Project: working with 2 camera angles & 3 audio tracks, total time on timeline is always close to 60 min per project.

Utilizing a lot of Kens Burns and color adjustments and having to wait for render to complete as playback stutters while rendering.

I am open to any and all suggestions to make this machine (or project in general) work faster..

Typical project:

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Make it faster!
on Jul 30, 2013 at 4:47:15 pm

You need to use proxies or if you are working in original quality you need to set playback to better performance.

I would turn background rendering off.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:05:19 pm

Welcome aboard. ;)

Unfortunately the Radeon 2600XT is not qualified for FCPX. FCPX requires a qualified GPU or it will not just be sluggish but glacial in it's performance (or lack there of).

The NVIDIA card is qualified, but no speed demon.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

To top it off, two GPUs are currently not supported in FCPX, so I'm pretty sure FCPX is using the 2600 only.

If you can remove the 2600xt and see if performance improves. If not you need a new GPU.

This Radeon 5770 is very good:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A/ati-radeon-hd-5770-graphics-upg...

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:35:55 pm

In addition to the proxy and GPU change suggestions, I would also update to 10.0.8. There were a lot of good changes after 10.0.6 and performance was high on the list.

To the GPU update, I've updated all of our Mac Pro systems (4,1 and 5,1) to YoyoMarv's Mac-EFI burned Quadro 4800. Unbelievable price for excellent performance in FCP X (also works well with PP CS6 and CC when the Cuda drivers are installed). Every unit that we ordered has arrived in good condition and worked out of the box. He includes the power leads.

Check this link - NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 1.8 GB Video Card  Mac Pro 2008-11/Cinema 30"/FCP...

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:48:24 pm

Thank you,

I am afraid of updating from 5 as we once updated a while back, and it totally goofed up all are projects, events and unlinked stuff all over the place. Hence, we now normally finish a production run, all videos and then back them up, and finally update. (which normally takes a few months)

I am looking into the 5770 & the 4800 now. I actually have two of these machines, so am going to try to get a discount on getting 2 cards.

Quick question, having the program on a solid state drive would not do a lot performance wise?

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:33:50 pm

We are working with original quality, however, we use clip wrap to make the original media .mov files, then re-name the .mov's to orginize them a bit, then import to FCPX - I did double check and playback is set to better performance (as opposed to 'high quality')

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:42:04 pm

An SSD will make it much faster.

I would still recommend working in proxy mode even after improving your set-up. The only thing you can't see in Proxy is alpha channel, but editing speed will improve a lot.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 31, 2013 at 6:09:24 pm

I would update to 10.0.9.

Ive update almost every time with over 50 projects to date and still no problems.

Only issues I have are missing volumes.

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:09:05 pm

Hate sound like such a newb, but what are 'volumes' in relation to FCPX?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:58:20 pm

[Clayton Brown] "Hate sound like such a newb, but what are 'volumes' in relation to FCPX?"

A mounted volume is anything like external drive, internal primary/secondary drive, network drive etc...

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Aug 1, 2013 at 4:49:00 pm

When you have had this issue, is it as simple to fix as re-linking the volume/drive?

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
Which GFX Card
on Aug 1, 2013 at 7:50:19 pm

Alright, so I am in the midst of purchasing a new GFX card and am hoping for some final thoughts before I make a call.

I am debating between the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800. The 4800 is much faster but is $40 more and is a refurb, however the ebay seller is rated 100 w/ 2710.. The 5770 is straight from apple, new @ $250.

Also: the 5770 has 3 displays while the 4800 has only 2 & I do run 3 monitors.. I would leave an extra card in for the third monitor with the 4800. I also dont know if it would help or hurt performance with multiple vs. a single card.

This would be my first ever refurb purchase and I really don't want to waste three bills.

(Thanks T. Payton for the 5770 Suggestion and Tim Jones for the 4800)

Options spec pages: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-Quadro-FX-4800-1-8-GB-Video-Card-Mac-Pro-200...
& http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A/ati-radeon-hd-5770-graphics-upg...

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Which GFX Card
on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:07:12 pm

The YoyoMarv units aren't really "refurbished". They are flashed with the Mac-compatible EFI firmware. As I mentioned, we've now got 6 of them in our stable and have had zero issues in over a year of buying them.

Based on our tests, you will see higher performance with the Quadro 4800 for 3 reasons - it's faster, offers more cores and has 1.8GB of RAM instead of 1GB on the 5770. We replace 2 5770's with the YoyoMarv cards.

Oh, and the Quadro offers really great framerates in Borderlands 2 :) !

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
Re: Which GFX Card
on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:46:51 pm

Almost sold on it...

My only remaining concern is that although I have not encountered any issues (noticeably with my current 2 cards), I have heard that running the machine with two GFX cards is bad for the mac OS & will slow things down... Hence I really do want a card with 3 displays..

Might have to look for a third option...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
Solved
on Aug 6, 2013 at 1:44:59 pm

Ok so for those of you interested:

Updating to 9 made a slight difference (and fixed another issue) but ultimately the new graphics card is the main fix. I ordered the Nvidia 4800 quadro saturday, got it yesterday, installed this morning and BOOM! Hello speed. Much quicker. Ken burns and color matching are scream thru the render process and I am back on track! Thanks for all the advice to everyone!

FYI though, eventually I will install SSD's, just dont have the time right now to reinstall all my programs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]