FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major Difficulties Importing First Portion of Feature into FCPX 10.0.8

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Angelo
Major Difficulties Importing First Portion of Feature into FCPX 10.0.8
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:12:45 am

Been a very trying two weeks organizing footage and attempting to load a feature doc into FCPX for my first project on the software. At this point feeling like a beaten dog and was hoping some Creative Cows might offer a little wisdom. Thanks in advance for any help.

ORIGINAL ATTEMPT AT LOADING FIRST SECTION OF THE SHOW WAS SUCCESSFUL

- Sourced from ProRes LT created in FCP7 transcoded from 5D using EOS plugin
- Imported ProRes into FCPX with transcode generate proxy media ON, generate optimized media OFF and DID NOT copy files to event folder
- FCPX burnt through this work fine over 700 clips done in one import

DECIDED TO RE-IMPORT FIRST SECTION OF SHOW ALLOWING FCPX TO TRANSCODE OPTIMIZED MEDIA SOURCING FROM ORIGINAL 5D FILES, DISASTER ENSUED:

- Started over in an attempt to upgrade quality of transcode from ProRes LT to straight up ProRes 422
- Also wanted to let FCPX do things the way it liked seemed recommended in threads
- Hoped to take advantage of background import transcode "saving time"
- As soon as I started importing with generate optimized media on, FCPX often crashed mid import or "validating files"
- Experimented with DCIM/100EOS5D folder structure and without, still crashing
- Experimented with removing any .CR2 stills in directory still crashing
- Trashed FCPX preferences repeatedly using "Preference Manager 3.0" still crashing
- Ran "Pro Maintenance Tools Corrupt Clip Finder" none found that were in being used
- Ran "Crash Analyzer" no help there
- Trashed the only 3rd party plugin "FCP Classic Generators from Ripple Training", still crashing

STARTED FROM SCRATCH RE-IMPORTING WITH TRANSCODE PROXY OFF TRANSCODE OPTIMIZED MEDIA OFF COPY FILES TO EVENT FOLDER OFF, AFTER MUCH TROUBLESHOOTING SOME FILES IMPORTED

- Based on feedback that FCPX is most stable if you import media without transcoding first, tried that
- FCPX still crashed with anything over 40 files
- Re-installed FCPX and repaired permissions, FCPX ran a little cleaner but any action in FCPX while files importing in background still unstable and crashed
- Re-installed Mountain Lion
- Started with maybe 250 clips, import took a while but eventually made it through background tasks complete!!

IMPORTED SOME MEDIA SUCCESSFULLY BUT KEPT GETTING ERROR MESSAGES BELIEVE CAUSING UNLINKED FILES

- Error message reads: "Import failed the following clip encountered an error during import and is still referencing media on the camera"
- Each time error message appears seems it is stopping import until responding OK, really slows things down and forces one to babysit import for hours on end
- Believe this is related to long clips according to threads: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4962533?start=0&tstart=0

UNABLE TO RELINK THE MISSING MEDIA, MAYBE DON'T UNDERSTAND RELINK PROCESS?

- After having successfully imported without crashing and completing background tasks, the event browser reveals certain clips are unlinked, presumably the clips with the error message mentioned above
- When I selecting the unlinked files and choose "Relink Event Files" the dialog window does not show any files unlinked "0 of 0 files matched", no idea what I'm doing wrong, any guidance?

WHAT IS THE BEST APPROACH TO CONTINUE/PRESERVE WORK WHEN FCPX CRASHES WHILE IMPORTING WITH BACKGROUND TASKS RUNNING?

- Decided to keep importing hoping to resolve relink issue later
- Successfully started approx 500 clips importing without it crashing background task rendering away
- About %76 done clicked one clip in event browser FCPX crashes
- FCPX doesn't seem to have any way to pick up where it left off crashing on import
- Crazy to manually figure out where it left off as not even transcoding yet really just establishing links to media
- Looks like the background task import creates some whacky named files in FinalCutEvent/RenderFiles folder, no idea how to correlate these to original source files
- At a total loss on how to pick up where FCPX leaves off

DARE I EVEN BRING UP THAT I WOULD PREFER TO KEEP THE TIME OF DAY DSLR 5D TIMECODE?

- Also noticed FCPX throws away the time of day timecode which I find useful
- I've heard the secret is to embed a reel name into the import footage meta data
- Seems the answers are hear but this thread looks like it's no picnic: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/656

IN CONCLUSION
It's been weeks simply trying to load standard DSLR footage into FCPX and have it be stable. The best results where using FCP7 and the EOS plug in to create my own ProRes then only generating proxies in FCPX. It's a shame as it adds another program, plus can't run FCP7 and FCPX at the same time. Using Grinder or Compressor for transcoding is not an option as both really mess up the Canon color. Ideally I'd like to use the software as intended and so many of you have had great success.

Really wish I knew how to continue after FCPX crashes while background tasks are running. I guess at this point I can call Apple but appreciate any ideas/input. I thought the big pain was going to be the learning curve of editing in FCPX but can't seem to get to that beating yet. Hopefully in time ;)

Appreciate any feedback and wisdom from the Cow…

Michael

"A life without cause is a life without effect." -Dildano

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Major Difficulties Importing First Portion of Feature into FCPX 10.0.8
on Jul 30, 2013 at 11:54:10 am

Michael,

Seeing that you have so much trouble getting your video into FCPX: what kind of Canon 5D has this footage been recorded with? I see only the 5D MK II is listed as a supported 5D camera for FCPX: http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/cameras/en/index.html

As I said I don't frequently work with DSLR video, but maybe this could explain all the issues you are having? In that case the workaround using FCP to create ProRes media would certainly be the best way to go.

As to relinking: if the import process has been interrupted I don't think you will be able to relink any incomplete clips. IMO best you can do is to re-import the missing files and delete the incomplete clips.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:27:32 pm

Michael.

you seem to have a litany of issues here I am going to comment on.

If you want to keep clip TC, you need to process the files into your preferred codec outside/ separate from the editing app.

Why in the world are you making Proxy versions for ProRes LT?

If you are having import errors and issues with "X" number of files- what is your machine configuration? If you plan on doing a feature length project you will need at least 16G Ram and enough online disc storage to allow for 50% more content to be added due to versioning and renders alone. I am going to guess that your machine / set up is not powerful enough to handle the project you are trying to load.

[Michael Angelo] "IMPORTED SOME MEDIA SUCCESSFULLY BUT KEPT GETTING ERROR MESSAGES BELIEVE CAUSING UNLINKED FILES - Error message reads: "Import failed the following clip encountered an error during import and is still referencing media on the camera""

THAT IS A TRANSFER ERROR on the duplicate media, whomever copied your data did not maintain the corresponding folder structure from each piece of media, so the pathways to reconnection have been broken.

[Michael Angelo] "UNABLE TO RELINK THE MISSING MEDIA, MAYBE DON'T UNDERSTAND RELINK PROCESS?"

That is most likely a name or file length issue with your media.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:21:57 pm

Michael,

Wow! I think you might be doing some unnecessary steps.

Contact me via my web site, onecreative.net let me see if I can help.

- T.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:31:47 pm

Thank you for responses everyone:

RONNY

CONVERTING TO PRORES OUTSIDE OF FCPX SEEMS KEY
Your right Apple doesn't list Canon 5D mark iii as a supported camera, nice catch!! I've seen dozens of threads where folks have used the camera successfully but hey need to get things moving. The mark iii has been out for quite a while, so surprising FCPX wouldn't support that camera given recent software upgrades since the camera's release. None the less converting outside of the app seems to be the next step. Great to hear from you and hope all is well.

GARY

KEEPING TIMECODE
Yep creating ProRes in the old FCP7 using EOS plugin preserves timecode and allows for adding meta data in this step which could aid in FCPX batch naming later.

PROXIES FOR PRORES LT
Proxies are more than half the size of LT. Need to keep files size down in an attempt to edit the feature with out AC power on a laptop with an external 2TB drive, seems to be the limit for USB3 and Firewire, no thunderbolt yet last time checked. The show is actually pretty sizable so even with proxies may have to use event manager x to take show on the road without AC.

SYSTEM USING FOR SHOW
Running a iMac 3.4 Ghz i7, 16MB of RAM 8TB Thunderbolt GRAID, first chunk of the film is under a 1 TB. This seems well with in spec so hopefully this is mostly a 5D mark iii FCPX transcode issue.

TRANSFER ERROR
Files were copied off CF cards from highest possible directory including all folders ie DCIM/100EOS5D etc. FCP7 EOS plugin in had no problem and it has same directory structure demands

FILE LEGNTH ISSUE
Bit worried about this one as the 5D Mark iii unlike my Canon 7D records a 12GB movie and keeps going. It's way better than the camera stopping at 12GB and simply records a long movie in 12GB parts. I have tons of these movies so could be the issue. On my first attempt when I did ProRes LT however I had NONE of these errors so really it's the transcode in FCPX that can't handle long files so should be OK if I transcode on my own before bringing in. Hopefully.

Thanks so much for the feedback Gary.

MR. PAYTON

Think I'll simply transcode to straight up ProRes 422 first using FCP7 and EOS plugin, even add some sneaky meta data there first, then give FCPX another shot from scratch yet again. Everything went like butter with ProRes LT so hopefully it will go the same ;) I'll save the coupon to hit you up for info off forum for another time. I'm sure I will need it given the new edit work flow., magnetic timeline and the fact I will be interfacing with legacy post production tools like ProTools, Smoke and Flame. Hope you are well and as always very grateful that you reach out.

Many thanks Creative Cow

Michael

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:03:01 am

[Michael Angelo] "KEEPING TIMECODE Yep creating ProRes in the old FCP7 using EOS plugin preserves timecode"

You will have far better results in an online offline workflow if you use a dedicated app to do this.

ALSO Why are you transcoding the files 2x times? Why to LT then to Proxy?

This is compounding every problem. Convert directly to PR Proxy, just let the colorist work with the camera originals when that time comes.

"Need to keep files size down in an attempt to edit the feature with out AC power on a laptop with an external 2TB drive, seems to be the limit for USB3 and Firewire, no thunderbolt yet last time checked"

WTF? so you have like 3000 laptop batteries all charged up?

Editing a feature length project requires power. Those drives eat power from the laptop, working outside requires a brighter screen, which eats more power. What happens when the batteries fail during a project write to the drive and you loose everything because it is corrupted?

Take a geni and a small UPC, what ever it costs it will be worth it to save your ass.

MIchael,

You are working at or beyond the limit of your equipment and that comes with a price.

Time.

and a lot of time too, because there does not appear there is cushion for protection or relief.

If you that far out on the fringes, beyond AC, what are you doing to protect your kit from water, dirt and damage? How are you backing up your camera content as well as your edited project?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:47:43 am

Hey Gary thanks for your ideas...

Turns out Ronny you were spot on, the 5D mark iii was wreaking havoc, all sorts of anomalies, no wonder not on the approved camera list.

Getting lots of work done, so wonderful to have the support o this community.

Cheers

M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]