FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Crashing my entire OS CONSTANTLY

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Rock
FCPX Crashing my entire OS CONSTANTLY
on Jul 29, 2013 at 5:14:51 pm

I have been dealing with this problem for over a month now and here seems to be no clear solution. Randomly, with no predicating cause, FCPX will freeze and cause my entire OS to crash. Forcing me to do a hard reset to get anything running again.

I'm running a Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 Quad core w/16gb memory. OSX 10.7.5, FCPX 10.7.8

I've tried reinstalling FCPX' trashing preferences, et. al., additionally there is no specified pattern as to when it crashes. Sometimes it's with color correction, other times its simply dropping a clip into a sequence.

Biggest issue is that it causes a COMPLETE CRASH. Everything fails, finder doesn't work, I cant switch to other programs. The only option is a complete shutdown of my computer.

Any Ideas on this? I'm trying very hard to believe that FCPX can one day become a professional editing program. However problems like this continue to reenforce my skepticism.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: FCPX Crashing my entire OS CONSTANTLY
on Jul 29, 2013 at 5:38:09 pm

When you get complete system freezes there is a big chance that something is wrong with your system, and not necessarily with FCPX. Just a few thoughts:

Check your startup disk first. Do you have enough free space left on the drive? Also run Disk Warrior to check if the drive is still working as it should.

If your startup disk is okay next thing I would check is the drive on which your FCPX Projects and Events are stored. Same procedures: free space and drive check.

If you don't have any problems with your drives create a new admin. user account on your system. Do not import any of the settings from the old account, just install and use FCP X from the new account. If this works without any further crashes you should do a clean OS re-install.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jul 29, 2013 at 5:47:28 pm

Zapping NVRAM/PRAM may also help- http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 29, 2013 at 6:23:07 pm

A freeze like that defiantly sounds like a hardware problem. A buddy of mine had that happen with his iMac. Make sure your Time Machine backup is updated and then take it to an Apple Store.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jul 29, 2013 at 6:28:25 pm

Full system hang / crash could also be due to bad RAM or video card.

In addition to checking and repairing the disks, you should also run the extended hardware test.

Something else that I do once or twice a year is open the machine, thoroughly blow out all of the dust, and re-seat RAM and all the cards. Make sure it's unplugged, naturally. ;o)

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 29, 2013 at 9:23:27 pm

It sounds like way more than an FCPX issue. I'd lean towards something hardware related but you never know. A friend recently had mysterious crashes with FCPX that locked up the entire machine and it turned out to be a corrupt font.

Anyway, if reinstalling X didn't make a difference then it's probably time to go the whole hog and do a clean install. There are just so many things that could be off kilter OS wise that just nuking the whole thing is usually the fastest option.

If that doesn't work, then it's a hardware issue and I'd put money on the GPU although I've seen some severe OS lockups when a drive intensive app (that's definitely FCPX) is accessing a physically failing hard drive.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jul 29, 2013 at 9:31:10 pm

Nope definitely an FCP X issue imo. The same thing happens to me. And it only happens when using X. The whole OS hangs except the mouse movement forcing me to do a hard reset. My imac was recently diagnosed with a clean bill of health from the Apple Store.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53:13 pm

I'm not saying that its not FCPX that's triggering the crash but if X has been completely removed and reinstalled and it still happens then its not internal corruption within FCPX but an interaction between FCPX and something else.

The crash has only recently started happening and FCPX hasn't changed in months so logically there's been a change in something external to X that's causing a crash now.

The trick is to figure out what that something is. There's 1001 things it could be so unless you've got endless hours to kill, my goto plan is always a clean install & keep my fingers crossed it isn't hardware.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:16:57 pm

I had a similar issue on my Mac mini once which is one of my fcpx machines . I had to sort through the various video codecs installed and eliminate a corrupted codec plugin which solved the problem for me .

Return to posts index

Aaron Rock
on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:11:29 pm

Thank you all for the feedback,
David, thank you for assuring me that I'm not the only one who's come across this. Like you said, the issue only seems to happen with FCPX. Unfortunately the crash is so complete that it doesn't even generate errors on the log in console. Thus I have no direction to go in to fix it.
Like you said Jeff, I could spend weeks tinkering to try and find the root of the problem and not get to the cause.

A few points to make: NVRAM I did reset. Will check to make sure the ram installed is seated properly. Disk utility, disk permissions, all come back okay. I'm not supported for the AHT (a major PIA). So my next hope is apple support. Once I get to the root of this I will be sure to share it here.

Thanks again.
Aaron Rock

Return to posts index

Jaime Prater
on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:36:03 am

This same exact thing is happening to me. If FCPX is open, eventually the system will freeze/crash. It's only when FCPX is operating.

Return to posts index

Aaron Rock
on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:22:59 pm

Thank you for all the feedback on this. It has yet to be pegged down. My boss believes it's a raid issue, I disagree. Ive used 2 separate raids with no permission errors and this issue still occurs. Another anomaly of X that goes unanswered.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:39:52 pm

Out of curiosity, how are you connecting to the RAID?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Aaron Rock
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:51:02 pm

E-sata is the only connection option for our raids. HDMI would probably be less problematic.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:56:40 pm

I just noticed that you have an older Mac Pro. This looks like the 2006 model. I just recently retired my 2006 Mac Pro because after 7 years of use it was starting to have some odd issues. Adobe Creative Suite just stopped working and would become unauthorized. Even after a system reinstall. I have seen bad RAM module problems only appear when an App is apparently using a portion of the RAM that is normally not used. Once I couldn't get the machine to startup unless I rebooted the machine with my PCI cards in a certain slot combination.

I would defiantly say there is a correlation between FCPX and your problem, but it is probably exposing a bad component somewhere on your system.

Machines do fail.

Just my 2 cents.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Sep 6, 2013 at 5:25:03 pm

I concur. I've had some weird occurrences with eSATA cards as well... might be that a driver update and/or new shielded cable would stabilize things.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Alexei Berteig
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:40:03 pm

Someone out there suggested (of course) trashing the preferences and relaunching. Failing this, if you have Perian installed go to your Mac's preferences pane, find Perian, and uninstall it. I did this a couple hours ago and so far no more crashes. (Fingers crossed)
- FCX 10.0.9 on MacBook Pro 17" etc...

Return to posts index

Ernest Jones
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:33:19 pm

I have an idea… A simple one.

It seems that repeated crash on FCPX are caused by RAM issue.

The point is that at the beginning, FCPX pre-load all the project in the background.

I think that this process is responsible for a huge RAM consumption.

The solution can simply be : put all the project datas out of the FCPX folder.

This way, FCPX won't pre load the projects and save some RAM…

After I don't know…

You guys talk about stuff way too far from my understanding… I don't know if my little technic will do anything

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:25:17 pm

FWIW Perian seems to be toxic to FCP 7 and FCPX among other things. Ditch that application if you have it installed. I once spent a very tense 3 days recovering from damage done by Perian.

Return to posts index

Kevin Greutert
on Jun 19, 2015 at 7:26:09 pm

I, too, am having this problem with this despicable program (I'm stuck for one project on Final Cut Pro X). Mid-2014 Retina macbook Pro, 16 gig ram, solid state drive. Just playing back a sequence, suddenly the keyboard and mouse do nothing. The sequence keeps playing, but I can't stop it, crash out of FCP, or anything else. Only recourse is hard reboot. Never happened on any other software. I wish Cupertino would drop into a sinkhole.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 19, 2015 at 9:04:37 pm

Hi Kevin,

Bummer you are having trouble. It has to be frustrating. This original thread was likely the result of failing hardware, not FCPX specifically.

Regarding things now, I've haven't specifically heard of this issue. We use FCPX all day on iMac's, MacPros, MacBook Pro Retina's etc.

Are you saying that command-option-escape is not giving you the chance to force-quit the app?

Can you let me know your OS version as well as your FCPX version?
Are you using any third-party FX Plugins? like Coremelt Lock & Load, Slice X, Track X, FX Factory plugins?

- T.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Kevin Greutert
on Jun 19, 2015 at 9:13:56 pm

Correct, I'll be playing a sequence, and when I try to pause, I'll see that the computer is no longer responding to any keyboard or mouse commands, including command-option-esc. If I pull the charge cord out I'll see the battery indicator reflect the change, and the system clock keeps working. But nothing I can do lets me regain control of the computer.

retina mid-2014 macbook pro
2.8 ghz intell core 17
yosemite 10.10.3
fcpx 10.2.1

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:19:06 pm
Last Edited By T. Payton on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:20:12 pm

Ouch. If the system is not responding to command-option-esc and you are not getting kernel panic then I suspect something is wrong at the user account, OS install, or even the hardware level. FCPX pushes the hardware very hard using all cores and GPU to the fullest, so it is possibly that the issue is only manifesting itself when FCPX is running.

Thought doubtful, just to rule out a few things:
- Does this happen with every project? If not, well that is crazy. Let me know.
- By any chance is this Red footage? If so it could point to a problem with your Red software or GPU.
- Have you reset preferences in FCPX by holding down command-option while clicking on the FCPX icon? If this fixes it, that again is crazy.
- Have you repaired disk permissions and repaired the startup disk? (Best to do in recovery, holding down command-R while restarting your Mac)

If the above are ruled out I would try the following:

Create a fresh user admin account. Then launch FCPX in that account, if it persists, you at least ruled out the user account corruption issue.

If the new user account doesn't resolve it, then try a reinstall of the OS. In recovery mode chose to install the OS and the installer will do a install without wiping out the user accounts.

If the OS recovery install doesn't resolve it then this is pointing to a hardware failure.

Let me know if anything isn't clear and how it goes.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Kevin Greutert
on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:22:39 pm

Wow, thank you for the very detailed attention to this issue! I don't think I'm going to have time this afternoon to try all these things but will get to it over the weekend. The footage for this is a range of things, H264, other quicktime formats, etc. Stuff that's too slow in Avid AMA, my usual home.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:51:43 pm

Glad to help. Keep me updated.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Jun 23, 2015 at 10:17:06 am

I had a similar problem exporting from FCPX to Compressor.

Also coming from a programming background I had huge suspicions of what was causing this issue, so I reported the issue to the Apple team. To my surprise they emailed me back, first time ever after reporting an issue to them. They had me run a few tests, but also suspected I was right with my conclusions....

When you have an issue like this, where the system will run, then you perfom a procedure where things seem fine at first, but then everything begins slowing down, freezing, crashing, even if it happens relatively quickly...

This is the result of what they call a Memory Leak.

In essence that means that resources that are allocated to achieving a certain task aren't getting freed, it is forgotten about in a sense, then the system asks for more resourses, and more again. This is a memory management issue, usually due to a programming error or oversight.

There's nothing you can do about it until the code is fixed, but definately let Apple know. This is what they would call a critical issue and so it takes quite high priority. The only thing you can do is avoid what it is that set it off for you.

In my case it was in sharing from FCPX to Compressor, but it was Tiffen Film Stocks that was the culprit. Something is happening as it processes and it wasn't freeing up the processes that it otherwise would have inside Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Kevin Greutert
on Jun 24, 2015 at 12:48:35 am

So as it turns out, the problem isn't FCPX-related -- I was letting my bias against that program influence me. Instead it's something that's happening to me fairly randomly no matter what I'm doing, in a range of programs. It's the same thing: a sudden freeze of the keyboard and trackpad, as well as any keyboard or mouse plugged into USB. Stuff in the finder menu appears to be still alive, like the battery/charger indicator, but I have no control over anything but the power button, so it's a hard crash-out every time. I've reset PRAM and SMC several times, to no avail.

The computer is only about 6 months old, and pretty tricked out. The one shaky thing is that I'm using a somewhat old LCD as a third monitor, plugged with an adapter into one of the thunderbolt ports. I'm going to work for a while without that to see if it helps.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 24, 2015 at 3:18:22 pm

From what you describe It could be the OS or hardware, difficult to isolate. I would try the steps I outlined above, however you could bypass it and just clone your drive (your running a Time Machine right?) and then bring it to the Apple store, they will give it a shot to fix or just swap about the machine.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 25, 2015 at 12:50:44 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:56:47 am

So all this....
I, too, am having this problem with this despicable program (I'm stuck for one project on Final Cut Pro X). Mid-2014 Retina macbook Pro, 16 gig ram, solid state drive. Just playing back a sequence, suddenly the keyboard and mouse do nothing. The sequence keeps playing, but I can't stop it, crash out of FCP, or anything else. Only recourse is hard reboot. Never happened on any other software. I wish Cupertino would drop into a sinkhole"

Was completely wrong( (as the OP came back later to admit), yet it still resides forever in the inter webs, ready to feed the next group determined to paint the program as "not ready for prime time."

This crap happens to EVERY software.

One impatient knee jerk diatribe with scant evidence and an agenda - and another brick gets set in the wall of (Software A SUX!!!!!)

Odd, how essentially so few ever take the time to go back and remove or correct what they got totally wrong. (And, by the way, I'm just as guilty as anyone else if that.)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]