FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K and FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
4K and FCP X
on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:18:53 am

I am planning to shoot Chromakey on a F55 at 4K in XAVC with delivery at 1280 x 720

I haven't had time to try it but 10.0.8 should be able to edit this directly right?

Two real questions:

1) Presumably this will give me ample room to zoom in to a tight shot

2) Will my G raid Fw800 be OK speed wise?

Thanks

Michael

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: 4K and FCP X
on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:52:55 am

Make sure you have the XAVC plugin from Sony: http://community.sony.com/sony/attachments/sony/large-sensor-camera-F5-F55/...

1. Yes you will have plenty of headroom to zoom into

2. Depends on how many 4K streams you will play simultaneously from the drive. If it's one 4K stream for the green screen and one 1080 or 720 for the background you will have no issues at all.

FYI: there have been reports of green transparent bars appearing on 4K XAVC video imported in FCPX 10.0.8: http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/Green-Transparent-Bars-Problem-in-FCPX/...

Does not happen always (I haven't seen this problem so far) and it only relates to 4K XAVC. As you can read in the thread Apple seems to have fixed the issue in the meantime, but there has not been a fix update yet. Maybe a sign of an upcoming bug fix update?

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jul 29, 2013 at 3:48:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies - most helpful.

How big a problem is this green bar issue? Looking on that it looks horrendous. Apparently Apple have fixed it but there's no timetable for the update.

My issue is I'll be up against it a bit so can't have anything that slows me down.

Is it just a case of transcoding to Prores?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 29, 2013 at 5:09:31 pm

I did a few projects with 4K XAVC lately and like I said I have never had this issue. But yes, we always convert to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 29, 2013 at 11:54:27 am

[Michael Sanders] "1) Presumably this will give me ample room to zoom in to a tight shot
"

I've been zooming at 300% in a 1080 timeline with no loss - it's very useful!

[Michael Sanders] "Will my G raid Fw800 be OK speed wise?
"

Make sure you set playback to "better performance" but it should be OK for a couple of streams

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:04:02 pm

XAVC supposedly fixed in 10.09 update

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:10:18 pm

Yep... What a bugger.

Had to make a judgment call at 10am today - couldn't risk it on a tight turn around paying gig so cancelled the camera and went for a PDW800.

Annoyingly I wanted to keep the F55 so I could shoot 10bit but couldn't expect client to pay additional cost and not get the promised goods.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]