FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut X audio issues but level is not distored

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
Final Cut X audio issues but level is not distored
on Jul 29, 2013 at 1:01:25 am

Hello

I filmed a short video with my Canon XA10 camera and used a Shotgun mic (XLR). The shotgun is plugged into the Canon XA10 and the audio input level was between -18 to -20. It sounded fine on the headphones and there was no distortion at all no matter how loud I talked etc. I even do tests where I talk at a louder volume that normal so I can make sure that if my voice gets a bit loud there isn't a problem. I filmed the video loaded into Final Cut X. The audio level meters show it's around -12 which is confusing since the audio input on the camera was way lower than that. There is occasional static distortion sound
(not really sure how to describe it but it's like fuzz) Do you know what this might be? I ask because I've used the same mic and the same camera and software for over a year and the audio just started having problems this week so not sure what is going on. I even played the video back through the camera and the audio problems don't occur.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Final Cut X audio issues but level is not distored
on Jul 29, 2013 at 2:12:52 pm

If it sounds fine in camera, then likely you are overdriving your monitor chain somewhere. Without knowing what your speaker/audio setup is, it's impossible to know.

As far as levels go, different meters have different ballistics. So because two show different levels does not mean they are inaccurate. They have different ways of averaging levels and how quickly they respond to peaking. You really have to get to know your meters.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 29, 2013 at 5:51:07 pm

I have m-audio BX5 studio monitors connected via Mbox which is for Pro Tools but I've selected my main audio output to be MBOX so everything on my computer plays through my Mbox and out of the Monitors. I also played the Final Cut X video through my Macbooks audio and connected headphones via my macbook and there is distortion there as well. So it's not just the studio monitor setup either and it's not happening on the camera.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 29, 2013 at 8:44:59 pm

What happens when you play the file back using another player like VLC?

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 30, 2013 at 12:45:05 am

It's the same thing.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 30, 2013 at 4:06:11 pm

A few things to try.

Does it happen if you play it back in the import window in FCP X from the camera card? Does it happen if you play in VLC directly off the camera card?

Possibly weird phase issue. Does it happen if you disable one of the audio tracks?

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Aug 3, 2013 at 3:10:00 am

that's interesting. Disabling the second audio track fixes it. Why would that be?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]