FORUMS: list search recent posts

How should I incorporate 60p & Speed Change clips into 24p multicam clips.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin powell
How should I incorporate 60p & Speed Change clips into 24p multicam clips.
on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:39:03 am

I shot a music video recently on a 7D. I have three varieties of clips:

24p
24p shot to slow playback, which needs to be sped up to 132% for sync
60p that needs to be conformed

How should I incorporate these clips into 24p multicam clips. Do I do all the conforming/speed changes in the multicam timeline after making the clip or is there a way to do it prior in the event browser and be able to take advantage of FCPX's syncing?

MacBook Pro
2.2ghz Intel Core Duo
2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
FCP 7.0
Mac OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Re: How should I incorporate 60p & Speed Change clips into 24p multicam clips.
on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:03:31 am

Why not just toss it all into the timeline as it is?

Just make sure your project is set for the format you want for output.

There's a "conform speed" item in the speed menu that I've never used, but may conform the footage like Cinema Tools used to do, but all in the timeline.

I'd try it all in the timeline and see if you like the results before jumping through all kinds of hoops.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Justin powell
on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:21:43 am

Im trying to get my cutting speed up to push through a bottle neck of freelance. Figured I ought to take advantage of the time saving features within the applications Im using.

Just recently had my first dance with FCPX multicam editing and want to use it to cut the the different takes of shots with this music video to both expedite the cutting and create a more minimalist timeline/project and compound clips. As far as I cant tell, though, you can only create a multicam clip from event browser and not the timeline/project. I would love to be wrong on that.

The conform option does exactly that, works really well in my experience. I love all the retiming stuff in FCPX so far.

MacBook Pro Retina Display
2.7ghz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
512 SSD
FCPX 10.0.8, CS6, Smoke 2013
Mac OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:25:54 pm

Your clips wouldn't sync if they were already conformed. I'd recommend creating a test multicam, place sample cuts to each angle, then select it and hit conform speed in the timeline. I know multicam works with different framerates, and I think once you get the cuts you should be able to conform (Which would knock the one clip out of sync). Never tried this, but think it should work.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

Justin powell
on Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17:03 pm

In hindsight, the 60p footage isn't really a factor in my question. Apologies. But the clips that ARE would be the 24p shot to normal speed playback and the 24p clips shots to slow playback that will sync when sped up(the 60p stuff is just cutaway/narrative inserts). Are there speed changes that can be done within the event browser to these slow playback clips so the multicam function can use audio to sync as at that point the audio would be the same?

MacBook Pro Retina Display
2.7ghz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
512 SSD
FCPX 10.0.8, CS6, Smoke 2013
Mac OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 29, 2013 at 2:16:47 am

Not sure I'm getting this.

X will map the frame rates to the timeline settings. Generally there's no need to pre-set or pre-conform frame rates. I mix 24, 23.97, 29.97 and 30 frame sources all the time and X seems to handle the pull ups ad pull downs without blinking. I don't do much work in 60. But I'd be surprised if it was much different. If it speeds it up or slows it down, just use the retime function to make it right.

Generally, with X you should always try the simplest things first and just establish the project settings you need for output - import whatever you've got - and see if X conforms stuff to your satisfaction. It's not particularly finicky about what you throw into it.

That's not saying X can't ever get the time base of clips wrong. But there are plenty of tools (as you've discovered" for retiming stuff once it's in the program.

X is generally really good at mixed format ingest., IME.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 29, 2013 at 7:46:23 am

Hi Justin,

You mention "24p shot to slow playback, which needs to be sped up to 132% for sync".

Select one of these clips in the Event Browser and check the Info tab in the Inspector. What is the frame rate of the clip? As the 7D only has frame rate settings for 24, 30 or 60fps my guess is this footage has been shot at 29,97 fps. Is that correct?

Return to posts index

Nathan Adam
on Jul 30, 2013 at 4:28:33 am

I believe what he's saying is the potentially problematic clips were shot at 24p, but against audio playback that was slowed down from the audio of the other clips (to get that "they're singing the song but somehow it feels like slow-mo" vibe).
As far as I know you'd have to pull those clips into their own timeline, speed them up 132%, export the file as a new clip, then import THAT clip to have it 1) join the multicam at the correct speed from the event browser

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]