FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using FCPX as your Online editor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Mena
Using FCPX as your Online editor
on Jul 26, 2013 at 9:37:16 pm

Hey all, I've been pretty busy as of late working in FCPX, Premiere Pro CC and Davinci Resolve for the past few months. As of now my NLE of choice is FCPX. But, at the moment I'm being payed to use Premiere (funny thing is I could do this current job in FCPX in half the time as Premiere, but the other editors I'm working with don't know it. So that's not an option).

Currently all the files we are using are coming from either RED or Alexa then converted to ProRes 444. We are cutting our offlines in proxy media then re-linking back to the 444 material in an XML roundtrip workflow with Resolve. Because Premiere is a tracked based NLE it's very easy to have my workprint as well as VFX layered comps on higher tracks. Same as you would in FCP7 or in Avid. My question then is: has anyone created a REAL Online workflow in FCPX. Using a workprint and being able to use connected clips as a way of having your original shots underneath with your VFX shots above. I feel this is the last step for FCPX to be a fully functional NLE. While currently finishing up these sequences with graded material and referencing the workprint. I sometimes wonder how I would have done it in FCPX.

Examples include: miss matched timecode issues, Baked in speed variables, being able to trace back to a clean plate when your VFX guy renames his VFX shot!

Anyone created a good workflow for TRUE finishing in FCPX? Let me know!

Thanks, J

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Using FCPX as your Online editor
on Jul 26, 2013 at 11:00:53 pm

[Jordan Mena] "My question then is: has anyone created a REAL Online workflow in FCPX. Using a workprint and being able to use connected clips as a way of having your original shots underneath with your VFX shots above."

If I import fcpxml from a project with multiple layers of video into Resolve, all the layers remain in the order in which I laid them out. Does this not work when you do it? I don't know squat about resolve, but I just tried it and it works...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Jul 27, 2013 at 12:03:08 am

My issue is not with bringing them into Resolve. It's the Final part of the project where you need to put everything back together in FCPX but still following the workprint. Including re-adding effects, versioning etc.

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 27, 2013 at 12:14:34 am

[Jordan Mena] "It's the Final part of the project where you need to put everything back together in FCPX "

Gotcha... maybe Resolve 10 will magically do it. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 27, 2013 at 12:29:32 am

You can add clips as a connected clip and stack it, just like any other NLE.

Holding certain elements in a straight horizontal line isn't as easy in fcpx.

You can use blank placeholders such as an empty text effect, but I find that it is simply a weird workaround.

Of you take a few seconds and mark each imported clip with a Role (such as 'VFX' or whatever other less generic terms you use), you can view and select all clips with that Role using the timeline index.

Yes, it could stand to use some more user options and controls, but of you really like fcpx, adding Roles and using the index is not 100% terrible.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jul 28, 2013 at 11:18:49 am

I don't know, I think using X as an Online tool is assuming a level of risk that you're better off avoiding on anything complex, with people in the room who are used to a certain speed and flexibility at this stage.

Hopefully the .1 release will make this go away.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:55:04 pm

I guess it all depends on what you need to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]