FORUMS: list search recent posts

Undo in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Undo in FCPX
on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:00:08 pm

Is there anyway in FCP to determine, the levels of undo?
It seems, you can go one step backwards. This would be very scary, since you also cannot save as or jump to auto save versions, in case you went the wrong way.
In 7 it was very helpful, that I could try something and if it was not good, just jump back several steps.

Thanx.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Undo in FCPX
on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:08:44 pm

[Sascha Engel] "Is there anyway in FCP to determine, the levels of undo?
It seems, you can go one step backwards. This would be very scary, since you also cannot save as or jump to auto save versions, in case you went the wrong way."

You can undo everything to the point you opened the program for the day. And I always duplicate the project before I set off in some questionable direction. :-) Also, and I know it costs a little money... get this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/backups-for-final-cut-pro/id586594646?mt=12

and/or this:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/proversioner/

:-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 25, 2013 at 10:54:09 pm

So, how come when I deleted some keywords from the keyword box, and did undo, it stopped after one step?
Something in the settings?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:18:15 am

[Sascha Engel] "So, how come when I deleted some keywords from the keyword box, and did undo, it stopped after one step?
Something in the settings?"

Dunno... maybe a saved keyword in the KW editor is only undoable once?? If you've made any keywords, they should all still exist as keyword collections in the Event. Unless you deleted them. :-) But that should be undoable just like anything else...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:52:49 pm

I discussed this below. Undo in FC is somewhat selective. Unlimited for any changes to the edit itself but not for every keystroke or interface change. The Keyword window is non-destructive. It just stores a limited number of shortcuts but does not limit the number of keywords. Another example is changing the position of the playhead. You down-arrow to the next edit point in the precision editor, for example, and everything looks different as the edit point you were working on is no longer selected so the clips on either side collapse. Undo does not undo your down-arrow.

I would love a feature where with a modifier key 'undo' would go back in time for every keystroke. And if you could bring up a list of all keystroke with in a session. Instant history, instant tutorials, perfect for the what did I do wrong Q and A.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 26, 2013 at 11:58:38 pm

Just had a run in with this a few hours ago.

Working on Project A when the Client from Project B called with "rush changes." So I Closed A and opened B and immediately started making their changes. Took about 20 minutes and probably consisted of about 60 various small timeline edits. That's when I realized that in my rush, I hadn't made a copy of the Project and that they might want to go back to the original at some point.

Worried, I called up the project library and made a duplicate at that point - then opened the original project again - and started just hitting Command Z.

X happily stepped through the 115 plus changes I made and got me back to the original state of my initial project and left me with both the original AND the edited copy.

So if you screw up,and work on an original project inadvertently - try working the undo queue before you close things down.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 27, 2013 at 1:14:56 am

Cool. So as long as you do not close FC you can close and open different projects and yet still undo to your heart's content. I'm not a big fan of multiple copies of any kind of work however. Granted they are time stamped but if you rely on them for possible revisions, it can become a confusing mess in no time. But for a temporary safety net it's pretty easy to do. It also allows for FCP X's take on versioning. The promo, the on-line, the full-length.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robert Ansley
on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:33:54 pm

And now happily, this is fixed in 10.1 with the Snapshot command!

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:15:47 pm

Wow, that's the third good reason I hear today, which makes upgrading essential. I just didn't want yet to step to Maverick, but apparently, it's a must, if I wanna get my hands on this upgrade!

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Cg Kumar
on Jul 26, 2013 at 12:18:59 pm

FCP X has unlimited undo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]