FORUMS: list search recent posts

joining spanned clips mov

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Simboli
joining spanned clips mov
on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:59:30 am

When I import GH3 AVCHD 28 mbps 60 fps spanned clips they correctly import as a single clip without any gaps. When I import GH3 MOV 50 mps 60 fps spanned clips, FCPX does not recognize them as a single clip. After import of the individual MOV clips, when I connect the MOV clips on the timeline I get gaps of 1/2 second.

Could it be that my SDXC card is too slow to write MOV 50 mps spanned files with no gap? Is there a way to get FCPX to join my MOV clips?

GH3, 128GB 400x SDXC, iMac 3.4 Ghz i7 with 16 mb ram

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: joining spanned clips mov
on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:25:47 pm

Select your multiple clips and create a compound clip. Then open that compound clip and remove the gaps. Then use that compound clip as your editing source.

Does that make sense?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

John Simboli
on Jul 26, 2013 at 12:11:10 am

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried that and found that each clip is missing 1/2 second. So when I join the clips in the timeline or make a compound clip in the event browswer, I have the same problem—the 1/2 second that's missing from each clip is still missing, and I get an audio and video "jump."

Maybe there's a preference in Final Cut Pro X that will fix this by accessing metadata and joining the clips together so there's no missing 1/2 second. Or maybe the problem is with the original recording in the GH3, and something needs to be changed with the camera's settings.

No difficulty with the AVCHD files. The problem is just with the MOV files.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 26, 2013 at 5:24:20 pm

I don't know about the GH3, but I have heard that the Canon 5D Mark III will drop a frame or two of video when spanning clips.

Do some googling and see if you can find out anything else.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

John Simboli
on Jul 29, 2013 at 6:59:33 pm

Just in case anyone else is having this problem, here's more information I found out: I tried a 95 mbps 16gb SanDisk Extreme Pro to see if a faster card (faster than my 60 mbps 128 gb card) would help with the spanning problem on my GH3. It didn't.

So I'm still having problems when I import MOV 50 mbps IPB files from my GH3. The MOV files do not import as a single, seamless file, the way my AVCHD videos do. And when the MOV files do import I don't get audio with the MOVs. After reading online about this I came across someone who suggested dragging/dropping the MOV files onto my FCPX timeline, rather than importing them in the usual way. This turns out to be a usable workaround, because once the MOV file lands on the timeline FCPX automatically loads the MOV file in the event browser, too. And the audio is retained.

I still get an audio jump between my MOV files when I play them back on the timeline, but I found that if I create a compound file in the event browser, the new compound file will play back without an audio jump.

Seems like an odd way for things to work, so my guess is I'm still doing something wrong with my MOV video settings in the GH3, but at least this seems to work.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]