FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.0.7 crashing a lot -- I'm limping!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Landy Folsom
FCP X 10.0.7 crashing a lot -- I'm limping!
on Jul 24, 2013 at 11:50:51 pm

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to finish and deliver a small vid.

I'm on FCP X 10.0.7, OS X 10.7.5, late 2011 MBP 17", 16 GB RAM, and a Promise Pegasus R4 (8TB, RAID 5 [so 6TB avaible]).

Formats: HDV, H.264 (5D mkii), and all the footage is optimized.

I'm getting ocassional lags, and beach balls, then the multi-language window that states "You must restart your computer." This is frustrating as hell. I'm struggling just to get a 3 minute piece out.

Any help is appreciated.

These hangups are happening at any odd time, like if I work on a sound effect, open a clip in the TL, whenever. Doesn't seem to have any specificity.

Thanks,

LF

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: FCP X 10.0.7 crashing a lot -- I'm limping!
on Jul 25, 2013 at 2:35:14 am

I've had FC crash more times than I like but never had that message. I would repair permissions, run disc warrior, test the ram. Your media drive has lots of overhead what about your system drive?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:22:53 am

Thanks, Craig

Sys dr is 750GB and only 20% of that is taken. I did run verify/repair permissions. The RAM tested okay. Hardware okay.

I took the edit and pasted it into a new timeline and renamed it and it's been working fine so far. Could it have been simply Event corruption? Geez, how to avoid that? Because I'm taking this tiny piece from my 2.5hr show. I had considered migrating the show to FCPX from 7 but now it looks like a fool's errand not knowing what caused this chaos.

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:50:30 am

OMG. It's not over.

I tried to move three clips made of stills (with some motion/compositing moves on them, color correction) down the timeline and the entire screen melted to that dreaded gray with the warning to "restart your computer."

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:54:00 am

Okay, I just noticed that the 3 clips I tried to move are 4.3MB apiece. The culprit(s)? Massive file sizes?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:09:42 am

That gray is a kernal panic It could be OS corruption or bad ram or may some component or external the system doesn't like. FC is certainly demanding. Is your graphic card on the approved list?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:41:53 am

I didn't get a kernal panic warning. I did have those a month ago. I wound up reinstalling OS and everything else then. All hardware was tested then and deemed sound.

Cards are definitely on the approved list: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024MB; Intel HD Graphics 3000 (VRAM 512)

Machine is late 2011 MBP 17", INtel Core i7, 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM

The only peripheral I'm connected to right now is the Promise Pegasus R4. I've run tests on it, have the latest firmware update, had Promise double-check the subsystem info file, all that jazz.

I had Apple check the machine out weeks ago, after all the kernel panics. Note: I did swap out the 8GB RAM that came with my machine when it shipped for OWC 16GB and the kernel panic occurred with both. At the time, I had let the system drive get bogged down with a ton of iPhoto media, pics and videos of my kid (a year's worth) and it was down to about 10% of it's then capacity. Backed up all that and wiped the system drive clean. But now it's back, this colossal, repeatable death.

What. Could. It. Be?

Thanks,

LF

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:13:22 am

"entire screen melted to that dreaded gray with the warning to 'restart your computer.' "

That's a kernal panic.

I'm not saying I know about your specific graphic cards but I was told that I could not use the two cards (on the approved list) I had together with FCP X. I had to remove one. I was able to use it with a pci in/out card for my broadcast monitor.

I have the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and had a nvidia geforce gt120. Based on advice using the Quadro for other programs I did not want to hook up the cinema display to it. But I had no choice. FC would not support both cards and I had lots of problems - it was really slow and crashed. I took out the Nvidia and bingo I was a happy camper. The new Mac Pro as yet unreleased seems to have addressed this problem.

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:23:36 am

You're right, it was a kernal panic; I just didn't get the code looking screen stating it.

10.0.06 worked fine on this machine and I had it on for a long time; 10.0.07 worked great for a long while, too. That sucks if it's the cards all the sudden because they have been working with FCP all along. Totally o/o/the blue? Argh.

Isn't this something Apple could rectify software-wise if that's the case. I still hope it's not the case.

Any idea what else I could look into?

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:29:09 am

In Verify permissions I get: "Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired."

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:37:49 am

not an issue. ignore it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:46:28 am

Maybe that combo is fine. Mine was a problem from the get go. But I was told that FC does not support two graphic cards. But it will be rewritten for the new mac pro that has two.

Another possibility is the raid. All good there? No lost drives?

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:16:24 am

No lost drives. Promise seems to be performing like champ.

Yeah, I love the 64bit side of X and so much else. Navigation and magnetic TL are great in my book.

This is ridiculous but I found the digital download fcpx folder in the apps folder next to the fcpx app. I don't recall putting that there! At any rate, I moved it and -- knock, knock -- it seems to be doing okay right now. Weird. Could it be?

I really appreciate the commiseration and helpful checks and continual feedback. Very kind of you. CC at it's best!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:03:25 am

Got me. I'm just learning too. But I'll certainly keep your fix in mind. Still seems unlike OS X to have the whole system go down, demanding a reboot. That said, I did have a situation in which my timeline would not play but would scrub. Only a hard reboot solved it. Maybe it has something to do with X communicating with the media on an external drive? I will say that X reboots pretty fast. And I have never lost anything even when it's gotten weird. But I have heard of folks getting corrupted project files. Nothing new there. The legacy FC best practice was to back up the project files.

Does your project hold original files or aliases? Is your organization clean? Did you make any changes on the finder level?

[Landy Folsom] "Event corruption?"

Do you mean project corruption? I assume your new project uses the same media files.

Did the original project have these problems as well or just the new short version?

I have also read that it is good practice to relink files following any organization correction in the browser.

Maybe by creating a new project (timeline) you essentially accomplished this?

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:30:40 am

I cut docs for years on earlier iterations of FCP to 7 and there I backed up all the time, worked fast, primarily hot keyed my way through the day, saving all the time like a fundamentalist, and of course my auto saves were set to every 15 mins, so I never lost much in those days. Major FUBAR and I could recover with the backups, yes.

This project proper is sitting on an FCP7 TL. My problem is that I've been experimenting with FCPX and like a lot about it but it's worrisome when I think about migrating my show here. As it is I'm stuck with this piece that I must deliver ASAP and I'm continually flopping on the shore.

Event= project. I meant project.

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:53:55 am

Sorry, I just recalled this other bit. I thought the kernel panics were because of the system being ridiculously bogged down. But I recall that I was thinking, I've got to pull stuff off this machine, and so I thought I would pull the iPhoto media out. I searched the for the largest iPhoto files, thinking that I could just xfer "that" file over and it was like 250GB but the xfer time stated something like 24hrs.

I stopped it of course but the kernel panics came soon after that.

Did messing with that iPhoto file do some underlying damage to the system itself?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:36:38 am

If I'm wrong about the 2nd graphic card being an issue, I would clone my system and install everything fresh.

I understand what you are going through. It sounds like you know as much as I do, but when things are going wrong it can get really frustrating. Been there.

FCP X does have some kinks to work out, but massive melt downs are not the norm. It is way faster than 7 ever was.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50:15 pm

Just to chime in here, Kernal Panics are often caused by low level stuff. Video card drivers, hardware failure, memory, etc. FCPX is accessing all that but not directly.

For example I had a kernal panic about 2 months ago when I was repeatedly plugging and unplugging my Matrox MX02 connected via Thunderbolt.

WIth that said, software can cause a kernal panic, but if it was specifically FCPX to blame then a whole bunch of us would be having kernal panics all over the place. I'm thinking it is something specific to your machine or project.

I would do this:

1. Create a new user, see if the problem persists.
2. If not, partition a drive, and do a new install with just the OS and FCPX on it. See if it persists.

Also, any reason you haven't updated to 10.0.8? It addressed some GPU issues that might be related.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 26, 2013 at 12:06:14 am

Great suggestions T. With FCP 7 stations, creating a new user account often solved problems I had with student projects being screwed up or not loading (when I didn't have time to back up and reinstall). User accounts do get corrupted. And I would update to the latest FC as well. Many bug fixes each point upgrade.

One thing Apple always suggests and it certainly makes sense is to remove anything connected to the Mac and see if all is well. It's not that hard to remove and reseat a graphic card. Just watch out for static and work on a nice roomy table with a towel. The soon legacy Mac Pro was the easiest machine to update. My broadcast monitor stopped working the other day and I reseated the black magic I/O card and it solved the problem.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 26, 2013 at 4:19:21 pm

FCPX is a crazy complex app under the hood. It is easily the most complicated App Apple has ever made save the OS, and it is touching so many technologies in the OS (all pretty much hidden from us) that a small anomaly in the OS, HD, Memory or GPU could cause problems. On top of that, if your projects are like mine I have hundreds or thousands of elements in an edit.

Then there is that problem of the incredibly flawed piece of equipment between the keyboard and the chair (you and me).

All together there are an almost infinite number of things that could possible go wrong.

If you are totally stuck, or just want to be talked down off the ledge, feel free to contact me at my creative cow username without the period at onecreative.net.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 27, 2013 at 4:42:24 am

Thanks a lot. Will do. I'll report back, but if I do get stuck I'll reach out.

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 27, 2013 at 6:00:07 am

Could it be the Thunderbolt connection all the sudden? I was hooked up to the Promise and did not have FCPX running and about 40 mins in another kernel panic.

I did a quick search and saw that this was an issue a year ago, but I've ostensibly had all these updates so why now?

http://www.techspot.com/news/49078-thunderbolt-121-update-resolves-kernel-p...

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 27, 2013 at 6:50:54 am

Can you point me to a tutorial or printed instructions on how to do this? I searched out reseating or installing, reinstalling video cards into MBP and cannot find anything.

Thanks for all your help, Craig, and T.Payton.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 27, 2013 at 6:46:17 pm

Sorry. For some reason I assumed two graphic cards meant a MP not MBP. 2011 means you are under apple care. Bring it in. You do not want to mess under the hood until it is out of warranty. Plus that is a special set of graphic cards that allow OS X to decide which is being used. On the raid call the company. Some folks have had good lick with t and some not. But they are said to offer good support.

Have you tried reinstalling the OS clean and reinstall all apps?

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 27, 2013 at 4:38:59 am

Thanks, T. Payton

Well, this happened before a month ago. I had to reinstall OS, FCPX, and that was about it. I've got CS6 here, too, but I haven't used since the reinstall. At the time I was doing a lot of work in PS6 and Audition and bringing those stills and mixed stems into this piece.

I haven't installed 10.0.08 because I'd read multiple instances of folks on 10.7.5, like me, have had issues. How much worse could it be than now, right? I hope not much. It's like, when it's working I can edit for up to 30 mins, flying, and then bam! I'm pining for a clean 8-hr edit.

I'll try the new user.

Any experiences with 10.0.08 users on 10.7.5 worth sharing? Great fixes? Terrible?

Thanks,

LF

Return to posts index

Landy Folsom
on Jul 27, 2013 at 11:32:51 pm

Yeah, I took it in and they could find nothing wrong. I did completely wipe out the drive and did a clean install.

I tried the new user idea and after working for an hour or so can report that there were no kernel panics, only a quick and painless FCP crash after about 50 mins of editing.

Perhaps tr kp's are related to a corrupted user account. Weird, though, because reinstalling didn't change it the first time through, like when I had the reinstall performed at the Apple Store.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 28, 2013 at 2:17:48 am

Have you tried a different media drive just to see if it might be related?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]