FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX: How to get RID or GREY BAR??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jory Levine
FCPX: How to get RID or GREY BAR??
on Jul 24, 2013 at 6:07:59 pm

When I create a cross dissolve between 2 clips, a grey bar appears over the clip. Not entirely clear if this means it's now a compound clip or
have become a storyline. An explanation would be appreciated.

Anyway, once this happens, it becomes difficult to move the clips to a difference track/layer and even when I delete the transition the created the bar
in the first place, the bar remains.

How do I get rid of it???

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: FCPX: How to get RID or GREY BAR??
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:41:55 pm

Sounds like you're describing a secondary storyline. You can't apply a transition on straight connected clips, so when you try, FCPX will automatically gather the clips involved in the transition into a secondary storyline (which is indicated by a grey bar above that "contains" the clips). The secondary storyline is still a connected clip, but you must now move both clips together because you've attached a transition between them. You can move them above or below other connected clips by grabbing the gray bar and sliding left, right, up, or down.

If you delete the transition, the clips remain inside the secondary storyline until you pull them out. You can do this by selecting the clips inside the storyline and hitting CMD+OPT+up arrow and then deleting the now empty secondary storyline.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jory Levine
on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:13:32 pm

Thanks. Seems the secondary storyline was somehow created when the dissolve was applied. They were not connected clips.
How can I apply dissolve between two clips without it becoming a connected clip and a secondary storyline?

Also, when I apply transition between clipd another is created at the other end of the clip. How can I avoid that.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:26:23 pm

If you got a gray bar above your clips, then yes, your clips WERE connected clips. I don't mean that they were connected to each other, but that they were the type of clip known as a connected clip. This means any clip that is positioned above the primary storyline. Does this make sense?

If you want to avoid transitions appearing at the end of your connected clips as well as between shots, your best option is to select the clips you want to apply a transition to, and enclose them in a secondary storyline FIRST, before applying the transition.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]