FORUMS: list search recent posts

My project just disappeared!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
My project just disappeared!
on Jul 24, 2013 at 6:46:45 am

I've been working on it for 2-3 hours and I was nearly through. I just had to add a few graphics. As I was selecting the font for the custom text clip, it was hanging up, so I quit FCPX.

Upon re-opening it, my project is gone. The event is there, but the project is MIA.

What the heck!? I've been using X almost daily since it came out, and this is inexcusable. Remember... you don't need to save the project because it saves it automatically. There is no project folder for my edit. It's like it never existed.

This super sucks. I've been up since 4:30 this morning and now it'll be another two hours before I can go to sleep.

Anyone else experience this?

I searched the drive for the project. I didn't make a copy, but I'm going to make a habit of duplicating the project or making a compound clip of the entire timeline then breaking it back apart to keep a version. It's not on an alternate drive. It's simply gone.

Isn't it about time for that update?

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Didn't expect that!
on Jul 24, 2013 at 6:55:13 am

Alright... operator error, thank God!

Turns out I had edited the entire clip inside a synchronized clip! I usually put the synchronized clip in the timeline and then break it apart.

Apparently I never got that far. I just started editing inside the synchronized clip.

I'm relieved, but it's still a crazy system.

Whew.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Didn't expect that!
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:00:50 am

I'm relieved as well, though surely to a lesser extent. Just glad that we all do not have to worry about a disappearing project bug tarnishing FCPXs excellent autosave track record (IME).

Thanks for posting the solution.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:03:01 pm

Good to hear, but I've got to laugh. I taught a class of film students earlier in the year and about 10% made this same mistake. In the process they completely obliterated the essence that was supposed to be in that master clip. I discussed this with some folks at Apple and they were surprised that this could even happen unless done intentionally. Maybe programmers should edit a few productions themselves ;-)

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:43:11 pm

Apropos of whatever...

I just got hit with a nasty $600 car repair bill because I had three almost busted motor mounts on one of our cars.

The repair guy asked me if My wife and I always came to a complete stop before I shifted from reverse to drive and when I admitted that I did not, he noted that unless I learned to do that, I'd probably screw up the motor mounts again.

I almost blurted out about what a horrible design - since I want to drive the way I want to drive - and nobody ever TOLD me that going from rolling reverse to drive was a bad habit - but I stopped before I embarrassed myself with such a comment.

Getting pissed off because things work the way they work, instead of how i want them to work - and being upset that my problems were caused by my own ignorance or temporary lapse of knowledge (and we've ALL been there!) is MY problem, not the car manufacturers.

I just know that with the car thing, I had to confront the fact that the only good thing about having to cough up the $600 for repaired engine mounts was that it drove home some needed awareness in my part.

Expensive lesson. But apparently one that I personally needed.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:42:29 pm

[Bill Davis] "Apropos of whatever..."

Hmm.... In the case of the students that I cited, they clearly were able to enter the "open in timeline" mode without any idea how they got there. The keystrokes required would seem to be intentional, but apparently that's not always the case. So it's easy to miss that you did, in fact, do this and equally apparent that it's easy to do this through some mistaken combination of commands. That's where the UI design comes into question. There needs to be a few more warnings or impediments to using "open in timeline".

Unlike others NLEs, a "master clip" in X is more of a container instead of an accurate representation of the video/audio media that it is associated with. It's something that can be quite useful. It's what Sync-N-Link X uses in place of X's Synchronized Clips. Double-sytem audio is "edited" into a clip as a Connected Clip WITHIN the actual master clip in the Event. SNLX does this via XML, but a users can manually do the exact same thing.

This means the editor can also far too easily destroy the essence of that clip without knowing it. For example, you can remove the video entirely from a sync-sound clip. This is destructive error within the Event, because the only way to fix it is delete the clip and re-import, which loses any connection it had to any projects where it was edited.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:16:14 pm

[Oliver Peters] "This is destructive error within the Event,"

I think a simple "You are about to Change a Master Clip. Are You Sure You Want to do This?' warning would be a good idea. Along with a "don't show this again" checkbox. I'd hate to see this function hobbled.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:25:09 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I think a simple..."

Completely again. It's useful function. Another good idea would be to have some identifier on the clip to show that it was modified from the original in some way.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:52:29 am

I've also noticed that FCP X will not undo many types of actions. That is definitely a UI thing. For example, in the precision editor if you move to a new edit point with the up and down arrows, depending on your project, the interface will jump into a completely different configuration. If you understand the rules of the precision editor, it doesn't bother you in the least. But if you're new to it, you can get baffled.
You opened it to edit a particular edit point and suddenly its re-merged and yet you are still in the precision editor.

Undo is a safety net. It should undo whatever you just did. It should do this consistently. It should undo your keystrokes not some of your keystrokes. That way you are free to experiment (and/or learn the program) without screwing up your project.

Undo should also allow you to watch each step going back in time so you can learn what you did and see it unfold in reverse. To make matters worse, when you try to undo some of these types of actions you get that can't-undo-beep and Edit>undo is grayed out. Now you are really in a panic.

And yes it's user error, but there is no reason for a selective undo. IMO undo should work even after a save. Or in FCP X's case, after quitting the app. Granted not even MS Word does that and it has one of the best undo-s and has had one of the best undo-s for many years.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:22:31 am

If Logic Pro X tells us anything about the future of Final Cut Pro X maybe we will get the new undo features from Logic. List of last 200 actions, even from before the project was opened and out-of-sequence undos (but not without risk of creating a time paradox apparently)-

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:18:24 pm

Interesting. Thanks. Certain changes can be taken out of history and simply applied as a new edit. Others might open up a can of worms. Or you check the list and just "undo" a certain step by manually changing it again.

Still don't see anything regarding keystrokes which does not actually alter a file or project but does effect the interface. Even word does not do what I am asking: I can highlight a paragraph and copy it and then go to the undo menu and undo to copy or undo select is not an option. What it will undo is the last change I made to a word or words.

Love having a list of changes. Be a great teaching tool too. You could copy and paste the list to teach steps taken and not have to write it all out. Though again if every keystroke was listed it would be even better.

Remember the old macros? That's what they were-a recorded set of steps taken to achieve result.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]