FORUMS: list search recent posts

Verdict on the EVGA GeForce GTX 680 for FCPX ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
Verdict on the EVGA GeForce GTX 680 for FCPX ?
on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:30:53 pm

I'm thinking quite seriously about getting one of these to go in the Mac Pro. Is anyone running FCPX on one and how are they finding it? Some real-world experience would be great! I am getting quite surprising mileage out of the stock GT120 card, but feel the need to upgrade to something a bit beefier pretty soon .....

Specs: Mac Pro Early 2009 8 Core 16Gb Ram - OSX 10.8.4 +RAID

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

Rob Travis
Re: Verdict on the EVGA GeForce GTX 680 for FCPX ?
on Jul 23, 2013 at 5:29:01 pm

I got one mostly for AE. I was having weird errors in some plug-ins (Coremelt Slice X would crash FCPX on startup), not to mention the fan on the card is really loud, and FCPX seemed really slow and buggy. I switched back to the ATI Radeon HD 5870 and FCPX is much more responsive. I may be wrong, but I believe FCPX tends to run better on AMD cards.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:20:11 pm

Except all the nvidia cards currently in the current lineup of iMacs and MacBook Pros of course.

Return to posts index

Joerg Niggli
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:13:37 am

I use one (Asus GTX680 2GB) in a custom built mac, no problems with FCP X nor Motion. Slice X works as well. It seems faster than my GTX285 on my old MacPro 2008.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:29:24 am

I was about to pull the trigger on a Sapphire Radeon 7950 for my Mac Pro 3,1 2.8, 8-core, 16GB. Primarily for use with FCPX, thinking that it was the "best" choice (replacing a 5770).

I'm having trouble finding comparisons of the GTX 680 vs Sapphire 7950 with regard to Mac Pro FCPX performance specifically. Bare Feats has tests including Final Cut "coming soon", as mentioned at the bottom of this page-
http://www.barefeats.com/gpu680v3.html

Anyone have any experience with each of these cards with FCPX? or links to comparisons/benchmarks?

Return to posts index

Jakub Vomacka
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:30:51 pm

As i have a custom built PC, your mileage may vary compared to real mac (pro). Especially as i have high overclock on CPU Core, but i made some experiments with my previous graphic card, which was nvidia 560Ti and my current, which is 7970. I must point out the difference in OpenCL performance between these two graphics is huge.

It is very hard to generalize, as it really depends on the tasks you do. For example i tried to do same test as barefeats (http://www.barefeats.com/gpu7950c.html) with rain filter. I found out its very GPU heavy and upgrade from 560ti to 7970 was noticable (14 vs 9 seconds).

But i also put together a prores SD sequence with prores HD original footage. I did put some color correction, little ken burns, TC filter (and of course there was downconversion from HD material to SD sequence). Stuff I usually might/do in editor and let it export. The difference was 4:18 vs 3:51. I saw higher CPU utilization than in previous test too.

Conclusion: There is only so much GPU can process and the rest still goes to CPU. In the end the difference is not so big if you compare it to the price difference. If you have the money go for the best. If you dont, there is no need to get the best graphics.

All this assumes you do usual/normal editing in fcpx, i suspect if you are effects heavy, conclusion can be quite different.

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Jul 26, 2013 at 8:36:27 pm

Thanks for replies, guys. I'm still sitting on the fence - do I play safe and go for the Radeon HD 7850, or as David says, the Sapphire 7950 looks good or risk the noisy fan on the GTX680? Difficult choice without testing them all myself individually somehow?!

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]