FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some Final Questions Before Beginning a Feature Edit in FCPX...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Angelo
Some Final Questions Before Beginning a Feature Edit in FCPX...
on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:23:30 am

Hello gentlemen,

I'm about to load all of my media for a feature documentary film into FCPX and would really appreciate the voice of experience from FCPX users as it's a new app for me. I feel ready to rock with the exception of a few questions:

SINGLE EVENT VS MULTIPLE EVENTS FOR A 90 MINUTE FILM?
Given the volume of material for a feature I find it dangerous in any application to place all of your clips in one event, bin, folder or otherwise. I've seen FCPX posts from folks that swear by it but very few of those people seem to be cutting long form ie a 90 minute film. Overwhelmingly what I've seen is that it is best to break the show into a few events and if necessary run Event Manager X. Does anyone out there have experience with the long form work flow they can share?

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO KEYWORD SEARCHES OR CREATE SMART COLLECTIONS SOURCING FROM MULTIPLE EVENTS?
So if I do go the way of multiple events how can I search for media from all the events at once? Seems crazy to do all that meta data entry, key wording, and not be able to make smart collections or at very least search among multiple events? If I had five big events I'd have to repeat the process 5 times when ever I wanted to organize a certain type of shot. Please excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something here, tho sadly my intuition screams "feature request".

PROXY WORK FLOW SHARING MEDIA BETWEEN AN iMAC AND MACBOOKAIR
I discovered this work flow playing with things on my own between two systems and having only the proxy media on my portable system and simply swapping the updated "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" files back and forth. Seems others are using it as can be seen on this thread. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/40812 Anyone having luck doing this for a long format show? I've been ignoring the clip ID concern as yet to have run into a problem, tho really only been test editing so far and have yet to load a ton of media.

ARCHIVING EVENTS AND PROJECTS VIA THE FINDER
As I was swapping the "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" files back and forth between systems, I've been saving the old ones to dated folders. Is this the best way to archive all the important event work as backups seems to only be available for projects? I'm also confused by the backup instructions for projects: http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verb6acb2fb as just makes a copy cluttering up project area, doesn't allow you to back up to a destination. Couldn't I just copy the "Final Cut Projects/Project" folder somewhere?

IS THERE ANYWAY TO MAKE OPTIMIZED MEDIA TRANSCODE AT PRORES LT TO SAVE DISK SPACE?
Most of the footage is 5D and 7D so converting to ProRes LT is good enough quality in my opinion. From what I understand FCPX only transcodes at ProRes 422, is there anyway around this?

LONG FORM EDITS AND FCPX STABILITY?
There seems to be a consistent crash when switching back and forth between proxy mode and original/optimized media for projects that source from large events or projects that are too long. I was thinking of breaking up the edit into 3x 30 minute parts given the number of threads I've seen this problem. To be honest I am VERY concerned about the stability of FCPX for the film but I am dedicated to seeing it thru given the 64bit architecture, relational database editing, etc. Any final long form experience and advice?

CONCLUSION
I have been working professionally in Flame, Smoke, FCP7, Avid and even linear bays for more years than I care to mention, so learning a new edit system is familiar. I have been combing thru threads, the internet, video tutorials, test editing and taking a FCPX basics course at the Apple Store doing my best to come up with a work flow. These are the remaining questions before I stop testing and truly dive into the project. I really appreciate your feedback and have benefited greatly over the years from Creative Cow forums and contributors.

Thanks so much!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]