FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fitness style timer creation...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Brown
Fitness style timer creation...
on Jul 22, 2013 at 5:32:46 pm

I am looking for either something to buy (pre-made) or a way to create a timer that would look like those seen on fitness videos, where the bar is filling up as you go through a certain section.

Ive scoured the google machine and had no luck and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I know there is a basic timer in FCPX and a slightly more versatile one in motion, but nothing with a bar like I need...

I could make it with Flash, but with a 70min video and 20+ sections to be timed, it would take a ton of work.. Hoping to find something where I just plug in the duration and everything else is easy breezy.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Fitness style timer creation...
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:59:31 pm

Wouldn't suggest doing that in Flash. That's something you could make in Motion or purchase a plugin effect.

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:14:30 pm

Yes, I do agree... I am no motion master.. has anyone seen any tutorials abound with anything similar with motion? And if you know of such a plugin effect for sale, please advise.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:17:30 am

I felt like I just saw something about this...

Ah, here it is:
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1182-five-new-effects-in-this-week-s-f...

The Broadcast VT effect looks like it could pretty easily be modified for your needs.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:43:09 am

Could you post a pic of such a "fintness bar" and give some more information on what exactly it should do? Is it only a bar filling over time or does it need to have time indicators or other information as well?

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:35:51 pm

I would post this info, but I just watched the vid another guy made for me and think that should do it for me. Thanks though

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:16:43 pm

Hi Clayton,

I did a screen recording while I fiddled around trying to create a simple version of what I think you are talking about. There are three sections of video, each with a progress bar and counter which resets at the beginning of each section. Total creation time was about 12 minutes, here it is in 4X speed-

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:44:22 pm

HOLY $Hi% Dude! Thank you a million and one!

Just watched the video and this is exactly what I needed! The video is a bit fast, but I think with full screen and well actually i'll probably screen record your screen recording and slow it down with FCX.. lol - Seriously though, thank a mil dude.

If you are interested at all in learning any type of dance head over to shawn trautman dot com, pick one, and message me your choice and shipping address and i'll ship it out with today's orders.. Otherwise I can only say thanks!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:42:09 pm

No problem, I had some fun making it. I'm uploading the normal speed version to Dropbox for you to download. Be right back.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:34:14 pm

Here is a link to the normal speed video for you to download- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/72nfiy5bv782mh3/wMwCuVhaTp

Its pretty simple, crop and mask a generator to create the border, crop another generator for the timer bar. Keyframe the crop so the bar fills over the duration of the section. Add a counter. Compound, resize and move into place.

Thanks for the offer, I'll check out the site!

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:14:22 am

Nice! Just downloaded the real time version - thanks for that as well.

I don't see any messages from you but I also don't know where to look, so if you have sent one I guess just let me know here..

Thanks again and again Sir!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 24, 2013 at 11:24:40 pm

I know David gave you what you need, but I just wanted to say that you could build this as a generator in Motion in about 2 minutes and then you could apply it above your video and drag it out to match the lengths of your sections and the bar would automagically retime itself without the need to keyframe anything. If you're interested I can talk you through it.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 24, 2013 at 11:42:58 pm

Good point Andy.

Building it in Motion for use right in FCPX is definitely solid advise, especially if you'll be using it again in the future.

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 25, 2013 at 2:15:47 am

OK, After trying to follow his video I hit a wall and was going to post my issue here, but after reading that you two are in agreeance that motion would make this easier, I am 100% ready to go that route.

If you've got the time I would love a quick walk thru as I really dont know much about motion...

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 25, 2013 at 3:39:41 am

Ok, here goes. This is a simple project, but there are places where you can improve the look of the graphic by playing around with color and shadows and such:

Open Motion. From the project window, choose Generator from the template choices. From the preset, choose the same preset as your project, or just make it a 1080i (29.97). FCPX scales and adjusts frame rate to fit different projects.

Grab the line tool. It's among the other shape tools at the bottom.

Draw your progress bar. Hold shift to constrain the line to vertical or horizontal.

In the shape tab of the inspector, change the start and end caps to "none". Here's where you can also change the color, and adjust the width so that it looks like a nice, solid bar.

Go to the behaviors button at the bottom (looks like a little gear) and choose Shape -- Write On. This will animate the bar from beginning to end of your project.

Save your project and in the publish dialogue, give your generator a name and category. If you've never made an effect for FCP before, choose New Category from the drop down and give it whatever name you like. I use Custom for my custom effects.

When it's saved, go over to FCPX and add your graphic as a connected clip to your project. If you used the default length of the project, it'll drop 10 seconds into your timeline. Just stretch it out however long you need it to be and the animation will slow down to accommodate the length of the clip. And you're done.

There's lots more you can do, including publishing parameters for position, color, opacity, but I didn't want to get too complicated. Hope this helps.

Andy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:13:11 am

you could also publish the top crop parameter. This would allow you to keyframe it in FCP X so you can do a hold at the end.

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:07:05 pm

Andy, I just went through your tutorial, very nice and simple. I will be expanding a bit on the generator and doing a bit of lynda tutorials to get a better grasp for Motion 5 - I use to enjoy working with flash, but am glad to moved up the world!

Same offer goes out to you if you have any interest in learning how to dance (FYI, although I work for the company and they teach 20+ dances, I only West Coast Swing.. very fun dance) start with the 101s.

Let me know if any interest you and I will send it out tomorrow -

ShawnTrautman dot com -

Cheers!

Oh yeah, and THANK YOU mucho for the help!!

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jul 25, 2013 at 8:14:22 pm

alright so I must have went wrong somewhere in the process.. When I try to add the new generator in FCPX it does not work... when I mouse over it in the effects I get the big red missing media icon, same when I add to timeline-

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:57:00 pm

Check this out-

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
Where did Andy's tutorial go??
on Jul 29, 2013 at 1:31:18 pm

Alright so a guy (Andy) had replied to my post last Thursday with a quick tutorial for doing this with motion... I tried to replicate and failed. However, I notice now that all his posts are gone ;(

Any way to get em back?

I am reposing this issue in the motion forum here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/170/873434

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Where did Andy's tutorial go??
on Jul 29, 2013 at 2:25:23 pm

I see my posts. You don't? As far as your effect problem, did you create a motion project or a generator? Did you make sure to publish the generator so that motion saved it in the proper place? Did you relocate the project after you published it? Can you right-click the effect in FCPX and open it in Motion?

Andy

PS: If none of those things are your answer, can you upload the project so I can take a look?

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: Where did Andy's tutorial go??
on Jul 29, 2013 at 6:53:54 pm

[Clayton Brown] "I notice now that all his posts are gone"

I've been following this thread and I see all his posts just fine. Did you try a different web browser?

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]