FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another Q from FCPX newbie: third party plug ins

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Another Q from FCPX newbie: third party plug ins
on Jul 21, 2013 at 5:10:58 am

Hallo everybody,

Till now FCP 7 was my work horse, now I'm slowly shifting to FCPX and AVID.
In FCP 7 I used to work with quiet a decent selection of third party plug ins (Eureka, FX Factory, BCC, Sapphire and more).
Budget wise, I wanna cut it down to the essentials for now. At the moment I have FX Factory running in FCPX.
Which other third party plugs would you recommend as essentials for FCPX to have?

Thanx for your thoughts on that one.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Another Q from FCPX newbie: third party plug ins
on Jul 21, 2013 at 5:11:48 am

P.S.: some that ideally also would run inside Motion 5.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:55:24 am

SliceX with Mocha is on sale for $99 until the 22nd. I got it while its on sale, have barely touched it yet but heard (read) its good-
http://www.coremelt.com/products/slicex-powered-by-mocha.html

Event Manager X is a very good $5 spent-
http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/EventManagerX/

The Apple FCPX third party software and devices page is a great place to start when browsing for plugins-
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/resources/plugins.html

If you haven't already, read the Apple Whitepaper: FCP X for FCP 7 Editors-
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4965

The FCP.co free plugins and free effect Friday pages house lots of stuff from a variety of people-
http://www.fcp.co/forum/9-free-fcpx-plugins-and-templates
And
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1153-it-s-free-final-cut-pro-x-effect-...

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:08:19 am

Hi David,

Wow! Thanx a million. Great tips. Will check them all out tonight.

Have a great day,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 21, 2013 at 11:03:15 am

Having just done a clean install of my FCPX system, I can say that the effects that made the cut are Magic Bullet Looks and Neat Video Noise Reduction. I have plenty of others both paid and free but those two are my must have plugins.

I also pretty much always Event Manager X and Xto7 installed, along with Clip Exporter to get things out to After Effects.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2013 at 5:45:12 pm

Neat Video is absolutely necessary. Aside from that I'm a big fan of Lock & Load, also own Coremelt Complete but never really use it. Boric CC is fantastic, and the primary reason I barely ever touch Coremelt Complete. I'd also recommend Davinci Resolve. You can get the free light version, and it shakes hands very well with FCPX. It's much more powerful than Magic Bullet looks (and free, although I did get the full license), but has a very steep learning curve.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 6:46:36 pm

Hi Nicholas,

I'm actually currently saying good by to COLOR and learning resolve right now. But for low paid jobs I still would use MB looks. It would be great, if you could elaborate on a reliable workflow between FCPX and Resolve!
What is neat video doing and why is it absolutely a must?
Also: what is lock and load? Never heard of it before.

Thanx a lot for all the useful information :-)!

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04:11 pm

Neat Video: The best noise reduction I've ever used.
Lock & Load X: The best post stabilizer I've ever used.

I find both of these plugins better than what's in Resolve (I've got the full version with NR).

My video sweetening workflow tends to go like this. Edit in FCPX, export a FCPXML and import into Resolve. In the conform tab, right click in the timelines box (upper left) and select import XML, AAF, etc. Resolve will automatically add the used media to your media pool, and your active project to a new timeline. Just make sure you export project XML and not event XML. I tend to duplicate my project and remove all retiming, transitions, and effects before going to Resolve. When you are done in Resolve go to the Deliver page, and make sure to select the "Final Cut Pro Roundtrip" option at the top of the page. Render out, then import the FCPXML back into FCPX.

Usually I'll copy and paste the imported project behind my original edit (duplicate it first so you have a backup) and then drag my new clips over the original edit to connect them above where they go. Copy and paste parameters (if you did a temp grade in FCPX, don't copy it), then overwrite to primary storyline over the originals. Sometimes I'll change all of their blending modes to difference so I can make sure the frames all match. There are a lot of settings in Resolve that I skimmed over, but make sure to pay attention to them, such as Rename All Clips (Resolve will crash if the original footage has illegal characters in the name), Render Audio, and Format (should be ProRes in most circumstances). Let me know if you need to know anything else.

I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:42:14 pm

I second Neat Video and Lock 'N Load, those are extremely useful. Although since starting to shoot on a C300, I find I rarely need Neat Video anymore, but's it's nice to have it.

I'm still waiting for a good color correction plug-in with real Curve adjustments. Nattress Curves doesn't cut it. Exporting to Resolve takes too much time for the videos I do. Either I don't have the time or it's not worth the effort.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:12:03 pm

I'll third NEAT video, its really good.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:47:14 pm

Thanx so much for taking the time for such an in depth explanation. I will have a look at it and might ask you some detail Qs if I don't understand something.
How do I actually start the project with FCpX, since I know, that media management is a fragile subject in this App.
I get Canon C100 C Log files and in FCP 7 I know hoe to L&T those files, but how do I get them safely into FCPX? What way to import them? Leave them all in the original media folder? I heard this might be better than letting X import it into the Event folder. Also: will x transcode them or use the native C100 files?

Thanx a lot.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:50:54 pm

Definitely the part, where you bring it back into X, I will have to ask you for how dactyl to do it again.
The whole media management of FCPX really scares the crap out of me.
I really like so many things about it, but the whole way it organises media and ALS the keyword meta data organisation way still is a bit alien to me and I'm afraid to entering a big project, like this short film now with it.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:03:39 pm

Don't worry, I just finished a short film in it without any issues. We did the whole kit and caboodle too, X2Pro for ProTools, Davinci Resolve, etc. I use the Disk Image method, in Disk Utility you create a large sparse disk image (usually 1-2 terabytes, it only takes as much space is used) and store ALL files for a project in it. FCPX treats it as a hard drive, and when you eject it, it disappears from X. Some people complain about speed issues, but I've never encountered anything in the last year and a half I've been using it. If you copy the footage into the sparse before you import then you can skip copying. When you import make sure you hit Optimize media, and it'll automatically generate ProRes for you. Make sure you have Canon Log-C set in the info pain for your footage after you import.

I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:15:28 pm

Puff, if I'm really honest, I don't understand several things in your explanation:

1. Why I have to create a separate partition and cannot just create an event folder and project folder on one of my internal drives?

2. What do you mean by copying the footage into the sparse?

3. Where do I set c log in the info panel?

4. I do need to download the C log driver for FCPX, after installing it, I just import the original files over the event window? Best way?: to let FCPX copy them into the event or having them on the drive in a separate folder and just letting X link to it? In this case will X work with the compressed footage from the card without transcoding?

This is all very confusing for me, coming from many years of working in FCP 7. I'm sure whe somebody would explain me that directly, I'd get it quick, but over the web it's hard to understand and makes me very scared to actually jump into the cold water and trying it. Specially since its known, that you pay a big price for not doing the media managements right in FCPX.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:18:38 pm

Another one: if you imported as ProRes, why you have to tell X afterwards still that it's C Log.
And: does the download plug in for C Log in FCpX works then in background? It will only work when importing, no?
If I just link it to the copied files it will use the original clips as they are on the copy of the card, no?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:31:23 pm

Hope, I do not drive you crazy! But some other Qs:
In the preference window of FCPX under import options, should I check the box "import folders as key word collection" and if yes, how Dow it help, when I import directly from the camera folder? In this structure I can not change anything, and therefor not make pre named folders that will be mirrored in the keywords after import.
Also: when I import with copying to events folder, should I also create proxies? If yes, where are they stored then?
Should any of the other boxes be also checked, such as face recognition, sons repair, analyse for balance colour and so on?

Somehow, I feel secure enough in the editing to work with X on this, but the whole setting up the project gives me a headache ;-)

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 21, 2013 at 9:51:58 pm

Import folders as keyword collections is generally the ONLY box I have checked on import. It only works If you select a folder directly containing media. FCPX will import all of the media and keyword it appropriately:

Folder (client, job, date w/e)
SubFolder (CAM 1)<----------------- select this folder
Card structure
SubFolder (CAM 2)<----------------- then this folder
Card structure

Unfortunately you can't just select the top level folder and get each camera keyworded automatically (unless I'm missing something). So, you can uncheck "close window after import" and import one folder at a time. FCPX will also add the folder name to the camera name field in the inspector. Perfect for setting up multicam clips.

Be aware that "copy to events folder" will make a duplicate copy of your media, eating up storage space unnecessarily. Unless you are importing direct from a camera card or an external drive, I wouldn't check that box. I keep all my original media organized in the Finder, my way. FCPX can just deal with it.

Proxies will be stored in the event folder under transcoded media in proxy media.

Forget those initial analyzations on import, IMO.

Don't worry, setup is actually very simple. Just a little different than you're used to.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:03:14 pm

I use disk images because it allows each project to have it's own Events and Projects. This also makes it really easy to organize as my RAID just has a bunch of sparse bundles that I mount and eject as needed.

Personally I'd recommend generating Optimized Media because ProRes renders incredibly fast in FCPX. It's like having an automatic offline workflow that you don't have to worry about, and switching back to the online clips when needed. I haven't worked with Log C footage, but I know one of the big updates with 10.0.8 was support for the Log C LUT, so that you could edit in a proper Rec. 709 colorspace on Log C footage. This doesn't have anything to do with the ProRes optimization, but is a Look Up Table that ensures the media displays properly.

FCPX works a lot like Avid, in that it has a specific place that it wants your media. Your FCPX Events and Projects are always in the root directory, unless on your boot disk, where they live in ~/Movies. The sparse bundle workflow allows you to easily manage the location of the files, and keeps everything together in one place. It's really cleaned up my workflow, and I love it. It's kind of like having separate drives for each project you work on.

I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:09:03 pm

Also a sparse bundle only takes as much space as the files in it, so I 2tb bundle with 100mb of data is still small, just with an upper limit of 2TB.

I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:09:54 pm

Clear. So I should copy files to event and also check the proxy option?
When it comes to he disk usage: I did put events and projects also till now onto my internal RAID, not the start up disk, since it's SSD and rather small.
After I finished the project, can I move the project folder and event folder on the client's Extetnal HD? Will all be still linked then? My main concern is, that after moving it, FCPX won't be blue to read the project anymore.

What other options I should check in the import window?

How should I organise the footage folder wise before importing for proper keyword set up?
Or only after I imported?

Thanx a lot for your time to explain all this!

Greetings,

Sascha.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2013 at 11:55:50 pm

One of the other guys posted a good organization for the folders and card data earlier in the thread. If you use sparse bundles you'd just move the one file and everything would work fine. If you've already got the footage in the sparse bundle you don't need to check copy files. If you are moving between different drives then you need to check it. For handing it off you've got a lot of options. I tend to duplicate the project to their drive and only include used media.

I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:35:42 am

Hi Sascha,

No offense intended, and I'm all for jumping in off the deep end, but it strikes me that most of these questions are really foundation 'how do I actually use this app' questions - and makes me think you would do well to invest in some training before you get to much further down the major project path. Ripple Training, Lynda.com and others have great courses and it will be time well spent.

While all the good folks here can offer lots of useful advice on workflows, plugins, and FCPX basics, we can only really tell you what works for our own projects and needs - it's could easily be a short road to disaster if you start any large project without understanding enough about how the application works to be able to pick and choose the right bits of workflow for your specific needs.

Happy to keep on helping and answering questions but maybe just some food for thought... I'd much rather see you have a great FCPX experience than get half way through a project and hit a brick wall because you missed some important foundation step at the start.

Cheers
Jeff K

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:44:50 am

Thanx guys for your concern. I actually did some training on it, and I'm "editing" on virtual projects, giving myself tasks, trying to understand other those how to translate certain workflows and actions I'm used to from 7 into X. Also the magnetic TL which was a riddle for m e in the beginning, I grasp very well now. The media management is the only thing, that stroke me very inflexible and unforgiving so it's important to me, that I launch the project the absolute right way first, not - like you said in your posy - to hit a brick wall in the project , by facing that I ingested the mea wrong.
I know it's risky, but I'm an auto didactic self teacher, who got into producing his first film and editing it by jumping into he cold water in the first place. It's war where you learn how to battle, all before is just warming up.
That said, I will keep consuming tutorials and tips from wherever I can get them, till I get the project on the table.
If I manage to safely set up the project - with the help of you super COWS- I think, I will manage to edit he film on it.

All the best,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:47:59 am

[Sascha Engel] " The media management is the only thing, that stroke me very inflexible and unforgiving so it's important to me, that I launch the project the absolute right way first"

Pleased to hear you're not just rushing in :-) I'm a trained educator so I always get concerned if it seems people may have jumped in without paying attention to the basics first.

Regarding media management... if we're talking about dealing with files and folders on the hard drive then yes, FCPX is quite inflexible. If we are talking organising the media inside FCPX before you start to edit, then it's one of the best.

Everybody has their own methods. I personally just get FCPX to copy media into the event folder and let it handle everything. I have far less issues that way. Some prefer to do all their organising as folders at the Finder level and just link to them in FCPX.

Either way is fine but it's important to remember that FCPX isn't good a re-linking and is very unforgiving of anything that changes a file - so no matter what you do, once imported you should try to never mess with those files outside of FCPX again.

Organising media and metadata may not be especially exciting but it's generally the key to FCPX success. However you choose to organise your imported files, once they're in forget about the files on the hard drive, everything revolves around ranges, favourites, keywords and tags inside the event library.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:13:13 am

No worries there, I am a pedantic German - if I get into a software, I REALLY wanna get into it. :-)
So, would it be an option to to it as following: Create a sparse disk image on my internal RAID (not sure yet, how much space I should give it though), Put all my source material (the folders from the Canon C300 CF Cards) into that sparsed partition. Then create the Event and Project Folder into this Partition as well. Now, in FCPX import all the media (but leave it in the original place, since it's anyway already on the right "disk"). Later, I can copy that Partition on the clients disk, so he has the full project.

Would that be a safe way?

In the way I described, I understand, that FCPX is actually working with the original C300 material, so - coming from the transcoding world of FCP7 - it strikes me a much more stable and safe workflow (specially considering a round trip to Resolve) to let FCPX optimise the media into ProRes and copy it into the event Folder. Cause if not, when I export the XML at the end, does that link in Resolve to the original files of the C300 Card? I guess, these files DaVinci would not like very much, right?

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:40:52 am

You can make the sparse image as large as you like, it will only take the space actually used. I tend to make them a terabyte or more just to be safe.

I think your approach to bringing in the media is pretty much the same one I used until recently. I stopped using sparse images though because I have some issues with backing them up. (essentially, copying a sparse image while it's open and in use can lead to corrupt copies... and a corrupt copy isn't a backup.)

I think it's fair to say that while FCPX can work with a lot of media 'natively', letting it optimise the media to ProRes makes everything work much more smoothly.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:44:35 am

Thank you so much, you have been a great help!

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:13:57 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am in the same bag as Sascha.

Trying to come up with a FCP X management system for the long haul.

I too started with sparse images.

Since X only uses one Projects/Events folder per drive on the root level, sparse images worked wonderfully.

However, there are some complaints from end users about speed issues with sparse images and a strong recommendation from Apple Care support (pro app department) not to use sparse images. I did a speed test using apps from both AJA and Black Magic. I did not find any speed problems with the small projects I had set up in sparse images. However, maybe as the drive gets full or the projects get larger that changes?

I understand you can't back up your images while open. Still, they provide a very neat container to transfer, back-up, move to a different Mac, etc. So why exactly did you decide to switch to a different means of organizing multiple projects? Did you need to back up while they are open while shooting? More importantly what is your alternative? I need a way that not all projects are loaded. Not only does this slow things down but I will be setting up a lab in which users cannot have access to each other's media and projects. Sparse images seemed to be the perfect solution but now I'm second guessing...

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:03:53 pm

[Craig Alan] " However, maybe as the drive gets full or the projects get larger that changes?"

Craig,

When I was deciding how to go forward with an editing drive and backing up, I did numerous speed tests and found that regardless of whether the drive was internal or connected by FW800 or eSATA, a 3/4 filled drive benchmarked slower than a near empty one. (I used QuickBench 4.0, Large file test (2-10 MB), 5 cycle run, with the "Allow Cache Effects" box checked and 5ms set for the Read and Write Delays).
--

Here's some of my scores from a prior post:

Here's some new benchmarks that don't have anything to do with the Hybrid drive, but were brought up earlier in this thread.

1TB 2-Drive RAID 1 becomes a 2TB 2-Drive RAID 0:

eSATA OWC Elite-AL Pro 2-Drive RAID 1 3/4 full (Quick Bench "Large file Test" from SpeedTools Utilities 12-24-12)
[With the "Allow Cache Effects" checked (5ms)- eSATA: Write- 97 MB/s, Read- 99 MB/s.].

eSATA OWC Elite-AL Pro 2-Drive RAID 1 EMPTY (Quick Bench "Large file Test" from SpeedTools Utilities 12-27-12):
[With the "Allow Cache Effects" checked (5ms)- eSATA: Write- 96 MB/s, Read- 155 MB/s.]

--

eSATA OWC Elite-AL Pro 2-Drive RAID 0 EMPTY (Quick Bench "Large file Test" from SpeedTools Utilities 12-27-12):
[With the "Allow Cache Effects" checked (5ms)- eSATA: Write- 96 MB/s, Read- 155 MB/s.]

eSATA OWC Elite-AL Pro 2-Drive RAID 0 1/4 FULL (Quick Bench "Large file Test" from SpeedTools Utilities 12-27-12):
[With the "Allow Cache Effects" checked (5ms)- eSATA: Write- 97 MB/s, Read- 156 MB/s]
--

Not sure if I learned anything here except that "maybe" full drives don't Read as fast as empty ones, RAID 1 and RAID 0 do benchmark about the same (of course one has redundancy and the other gives you twice the space), and/or the Speed Utilities QuickBench 4.0 comes up with different numbers on different days.

Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:09:25 pm

Thanks. Drives slow down when getting full. But what about sparse images?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]