FORUMS: list search recent posts

feature in event library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
feature in event library
on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:38:02 am

I have a clip in which I added a favorite - a specific range within the clip.
So far so good - the range was added as a favorite listed under the clip.

When I set the drop down to "no ratings or key words" I end up with two clips with the same name - before the range of the favorite and after the range of the favorite.

I assume a feature: I can see it coming in handy say in a long clip where I might want to set different favorite ranges (you know like sub-clips in FCP 7). But I thought the filter of "no ratings or favorites" applied to the entire clip. And two clips with the same name is confusing (I know each has different timecode but A and C after the name would be helpful)

Also once filtered with "no ratings or favorites" or just "favorites", when I select these clips, the handles do not appear in the event browser nor can they be used as in dragging the In point -2. Will the handles still be there if these clips are edited into the timeline?

Also is there a way to set two favorites within a clip with overlapping ranges?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: feature in event library
on Jul 21, 2013 at 5:05:35 am

[Craig Alan] "Will the handles still be there if these clips are edited into the timeline? "

I do have the handles in the timeline but don't seem to in the event browser when a filter is selected like favorites. It would be nice to be able to bring up all your favorites and then fine tune them a bit before editing to time line.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:01:58 am

While indicators that its two parts of one clip would be nice, I think the no keywords or ratings filter is doing exactly what it should, show you every frame that has not been keyworded. Yes the handles will still be available in the timeline. Remember, keywords are not a bin with actual clips in it. They are just a filtered view of the clips in the Event.

The problem of two clips with the same name doesn't really matter much IMO, its only temporary and while you are in that view. Anyway, it's kind of the point, these pieces of video have not been organized yet, organize them. At the start of a project, you import all the media, then keyword until that view is empty, then move on with the edit or do even more keywording. Either way you're "done" with the no keywords filter. Then back in the all clips view, each clip is one clip again with colored bars at the top representing the keyworded sections. If the favorites view with multiple favorites from the same clip is confusing, it would probably be better to use custom keywords instead. I figure favorites should be used to mark favorite parts of already keyworded and organized clips, not as an organizational tool on its own.

Once you are done in the no keywords view, you can fine tune your selections. If expanding it, it's easy. Just select a favorite and drag the in or out point and hit F. If you want to trim it down, you can select the favorite, right click it and choose unmark (the in and out points remain), then adjust the selection and then hit F to make it a favorite again. I doubt that will need to be done much. Just throw the favorite on the timeline and trim it, I don't see much value In spending time trying to get frame-perfect favorite selections. Of course everyone has a different way of doing things.

You can't overlap favorites, but you can with custom keywords. Here's an Izzy Video2-
http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-technique-overlapping-favorites/

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:23:13 pm

Thank you. Helpful.

I think all views of a selected range should have the handles in the browser. and we'll see what the next update brings. But for now yes I can bring up the keyword editor instead to select multiple ranges within clips.

Selecting a favorite is faster though and applies to that particular clip. Plus the favorite selection can easily be given a name as well. And favorite flags the range as a suggested edit.

All that said I like doing most of the fine tuning in the time line.

X certainly seems to address the fact media from card based cams tend to be "logged" in the browser. And we now have powerful ways to organize them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]