FORUMS: list search recent posts

Organizing Events

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Organizing Events
on Jul 19, 2013 at 3:43:19 pm

I have an empty event that in the event browser. If I move it to the trash, then files appearing in other events go missing (red b.g., yellow triangle, “missing”). In the finder, there are files in this “empty” event, so why do they not appear in the FC browser? I assume it is because I moved its clips to other events (folders) I wanted them in. Shouldn’t that have actually moved them out of the event they were in?

Obviously there is something basic here I’m not getting.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Organizing Events
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:04:09 pm

Dragging a clip from one Event to another does not break its relationship, you just get another instance in the other Event. If you want to create discrete Events that do not depend on each other, drag media directly from your hard drive to that Event or Import it from the File Menu.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 19, 2013 at 7:40:35 pm

If I understand you correctly and you've moved files *at the finder level* from one event folder to another - that's a TERRIBLE practice in FCP-X.

Remember X is essentially a relational database. It HAS to know where its assets are located. And once you start building relationships in the DB, those are predicated on the original asset locations. Those locations essentially are "set in stone" when you import elements into your Events. If you drag stuff around in the finder you will screw up the entire database system and the program doesn't know where things are anymore. That's why is critical to use FCP-X's MOVE command when you want to dup or push a project to a new location.

We've been saying it for two years here, but it bears repeating. If you try to use X like you used other NLE programs - dragging your files around in the finder and trusting that you can simply "re-link" stuff afterwards - you will be fighting X all the way.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 19, 2013 at 8:52:59 pm

No.
I moved the files within the FC browser - drag and drop.
The original event is empty, the files have been moved to new events.
In the OS X finder they are still in the original event folder.
And if I try to move the original event to the trash (within FC browser) then the media is lost to the events the files have been moved to.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 19, 2013 at 7:53:54 pm

Your event likely isn't empty. Make sure you have "all clips" selected at the top of the event window. Also, make sure there's nothing in the search field. Once I had a space in the search field, so only clips with a space in the title were showing.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:31:54 pm

"All clips" is selected.

I just tried an experiment. I option dragged a clip from one of the new events back into the original event. It shows up there but with an error message that the media is missing. It is still in the new event. If I now delete it from the original Event, the error message goes away.

Either I have done something FC does not like or this Event is corrupted. I can't just delete it cause in the finder it holds media. Though the media is also in the other event folders. I do notice in the finder that the original event does not have the same folder structure as the others.
It has a backups folder
It has the event Icon FCPevent
It has media files
It has a render folder

The other events also have a folder called
'original media"

Any ideas? And any suggestions on best practices in the future to group clips in events that allows me to organize them the way I like? Or should I just keep all imported media an an event and organize within that event using keywords?

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jul 20, 2013 at 2:44:59 am

The latter- the workflow is not designed to move clips from Event to Event like you would with bins. It's put the clips you want into a specific Event and organize them within that Event.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 20, 2013 at 4:13:16 am

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12765

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jul 20, 2013 at 6:27:09 pm

Sure it's possible to copy clips between Events but I'm saying it's not a good workflow for precisely the issue you found. You end up with double references to media and can lose track of which Events you want vs. don't want. There is no real benefit to moving clips between Events.

It's much more efficient to organize your material using the tools within Events- such as Keywords, Favorites and Smart Collections.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 9:56:39 am

One of the often mentioned "... FCPX is essentially a relational database" is true for sure. But FCP had been that as well. Big difference is that FCP did hold all the parts in one huge file and FCPX spreads the needed databases thru-out your file system.
Latter can makes things more difficult if you don't follow the rules of FCPX. In normal cases it's easy and straight forward.
But when comes to re-organize it get's far more complicated. Re-organizing is not something FCPX really likes - even if you follow the rules. And it does especially hate re-organizing events.

Simplest example: renaming an event within FCPX. YOu see a new name in FCPX (and in Finder). Internally all paths to media still rely on the former path. Means instead of .../NewName/Original Media/... it's still .../OldName/Original Media/...
This is not a real problem since on launch FCPX looks for the old paths and in case of an error it looks whether the media links can be found in the Original Media folder of the re-named event. Once found it's business as usual.
To make "operation" safer I personally do a reconnect after renaming an event by relinking all files of the event. I would recommend this practice to all. Relinking will rebuild all involved databases.

Now the next thing: moving media from one event to another event.
This is way more complicated.
If the files are used in any project ID links to the old event will break and you have to step thru the projects to reference to the "new" event ID. This is step one. It might be needed or not. In any case relink any of the moved media

Next: if you delete media in the old event or the new event it doesn't matter as long as the files are alias files. Your projects do store the paths to the original files (as long the paths are correct -- again, relink, relink, relink before doing anything above). Finally you could have hundreds of projects with no event -- obviously not recommended.
(You also can have hundreds of "projects" as compounds with no projects in the project libraries).

If the path to a media file is not an alias, means you for example converted media on import, you can't (or better, never ever should) delete files since the project or event will not be able in any case to find the media.
There are some media types which are automatically converted like the sound effects in your library or iTunes stuff. Even the new event won't be able to find it -- cause it's gone. With some luck you may have not emptied the trash.

If you try to delete the old event X will give you a warning message. Take it serious. Do the steps I described first - otherwise hit cancel.

A good rule for working with media with are (need to be) converted is to create dummy events for those. Once the conversion is done go to the dummy event's Original Media folder and copy it to a safe place and rename this folder. Delete the dummy and start over with a new event as usual. It's not elegant nor fast but safe.

Back to the original question of Craig Alan.
My guess (from my experience) is that the empty event still contains "original original media" and therefore will create trouble if this "empty" event is deleted. So finally in this case only a Finder based solution could help -- or just using the empty event.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:07:43 pm

Reading all that really scares me as a new FCPX user.
I'm so used to the FCP way of organising media. And also to the fact, that once I finished a work, I can move all files on the clients HD, together with a project file back up. So in case, the project of the client has to opened again in the future, I just copy the project back on my computer, relink the media files to the client's HD and off I go. How can I do this safely in FCPX? After I finish a project, I want to move my event and project folder away. Thanx for any suggestions.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 22, 2013 at 5:12:23 am

Well I decided to go all in and try to get all the media associated with this project into one Event and use keywords instead of the folders (events) I had created. The mess I had started by my importing from different media folders from different cams and choosing to put them in their own events.

I can't at this point explain every step I took but it was a combination of finder level and FCPX level moving, deleting, relinking, and using "File>organize event files".

It all worked out ok. There are no missing files. The project is neatly organized in one event with keywords representing the different events I had.

I went back and forth between the finder and FCP X. Not sure I understand everything on the finder level. But I did not find it impossible to go home again if I moved things around on the finder level. Which does not mean I'm recommending it. And I did not move files from one event to another on the finder level.

The worse moment I had was when I could skim through my timeline but when I tried to play I got a spinning beach ball and had to force quit. This got corrected with a hard reboot.

FCP X does not seem to fight you that hard in term of reorganizing. I discovered too late in the game that it allows you to 'merge events'.

As for my original question, in the empty event there were files on the finder level that were being referenced by the other events. Once these were deleted on the finder level I was able to delete the event in FC and relink where necessary. Still not sure how the event was being used as a reference yet was empty. And yes i double checked to make sure no filter including a space as a search was applied. But I think on the finder level there was missing folder(s) that allowed its contents to not show in FC.

I would really like a much better understanding of the relationship between FC and the finder structure. I will be running a lab soon with many students and I'll need to trouble shoot mistakes they make with organization. To be honest I do not recall so many different opinions about organization issues with any previous NLE.

I've read in several places that there are advantages to copying original media into an event rather than referencing the original media. But if I have say a camera card folder in the finder and then copy all those clips into FC rather than create references to it this will take twice the space. What exactly is the upside? If I do copy these files into FC, can I then safely erase the originals?

Return to posts index

Jeff Nesmith
on Oct 20, 2013 at 4:47:10 am

It's all about "organizing media", otherwise you end up with reference files everywhere but media still ends up disconnected. I wrote a blog post about consolidating and organizing all your media within FCPX, using Finder to see behind the scenes, but not as a way to do the job. Hope someone finds it helpful: http://www.gypsycreative.com/organizing-horribly-disfigured-final-cut-pro-x...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]