FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best time/software to upscale 720P to 1080P

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Ash
Best time/software to upscale 720P to 1080P
on Jul 18, 2013 at 8:11:04 pm

hi,
I am editing a project in fcp x shot on a 5dmk 111 at 50fps (for slow motion) and refconformed/transcoded to 24P pro res 444.
Its for projection in a cinema (not sure from yet at present), so I would like to deliver the final edit at 1080P
What are everyones thoughts on when and how (which software) would give the best results, or indeed if it may be better to deliver at native 720P and let the projector upscale to fit the screen. I have very few details of the deliver method, just that they will be showing a version in the cinema.
I have compressor, AE, resolve lite, and fcp x.

Any thoughts/ advice as to which way to to go would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Sean

Return to posts index

Jack Niedenthal
Re: Best time/software to upscale 720P to 1080P
on Jul 18, 2013 at 8:49:04 pm

for what it is worth, I up-converted our entire 80 minute feature length production (shot in 720/24p) to 1920x1080 by doing the following:

duplicate your project but define the resolution as 1920x1080 (as opposed to having it set by the first clip of the project) and do not duplicate by copying over rendered files. This will cause your project to be re-rendered at 1920x1080 in FCPX. I then exported the file using Apple ProRes 422 HQ.

I then took this file and had it transferred to HDCAM. The film showed at the Hawaii International FIlm Festival and at the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival in theaters, and while there was a bit of resolution loss, it looked fine to me (of course, it was mu child, why wouldn't it). I continue to search for better methods. You can download Davinci Resolve Lite for free, that can also do this, but I noticed no difference and indeed thought FCPX did a slightly better job.

In the end, as I am learning, it is best to shoot in 1080. My issue was long days in the field with one camera with a single 64 GB P2 card, not to mention the hard drive purchases to hold all the 1080 footage. But when you are a guerrilla filmmaker, something usually has to give...

Jack Niedenthal
Microwave Films of the Marshall Islands
http://www.microwavefilms.org
http://www.microwavefilms.org/Crickets.html
iMac i7 using Mountain Lion 10.8.x, HPX 170 using only one 64GB card
I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, YOU are my only resource.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: Best time/software to upscale 720P to 1080P
on Jul 18, 2013 at 9:19:18 pm

[Jack Niedenthal] "I up-converted our entire 80 minute feature length production (shot in 720/24p) to 1920x1080 by doing the following:

duplicate your project but define the resolution as 1920x1080 (as opposed to having it set by the first clip of the project) and do not duplicate by copying over rendered files. This will cause your project to be re-rendered at 1920x1080 in FCPX. I then exported the file using Apple ProRes 422 HQ.

I then took this file and had it transferred to HDCAM. The film showed at the Hawaii International FIlm Festival and at the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival in theaters, and while there was a bit of resolution loss, it looked fine to me (of course, it was mu child, why wouldn't it). I continue to search for better methods. You can download Davinci Resolve Lite for free, that can also do this, but I noticed no difference and indeed thought FCPX did a slightly better job."

Thanks Jack. I had recently asked the question as to whether or not Resolve did a better job than FCPX for up-converting and you seem to have the answer-
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/21864#22016

Good to know.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]