FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting file management problem encountered

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
Interesting file management problem encountered
on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:22:37 pm

So I just purchased a new thunderbolt RAID to edit off of and was having FCPX duplicate a project onto the drive.

It would very quickly go to spinning beach ball, and OSX would give me a memory full error even though my boot disk had 200+ free gigs on it.

Running Activity Monitor I saw that indeed FCPX was filling up every byte of my virtual memory and copying the project at only a few hundred KB/sec.

I tried a few times, to no avail. Eventually I unchecked "include render files" in the duplicate project dialog box, and presto, it worked fine, copying at blazing thunderbolt speed.

Anyone have any clue as to why attempting to copy the render files with the project would cause this kind of problem?

(incidentally, FCPX copied the event original media afterwards with no problems)

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Interesting file management problem encountered
on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:21:33 pm

Just a SWAG, but could it be that the render files hadn't been rendered and FCP X was rendering while copying?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:44:34 pm

hmm yes i suppose that's possible. though i tried a few times, so unlikely. but no way to know now!

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:02:15 am

Renders are thousands of little files, something that is enough to bring a HD to its knees. Plus as far as I understand it each render file is unique to FCP would need to be renamed and stored in the database when copying (I could be wrong on that). Hence it could take a long time.

The other possibility is that some of your render files were corrupted, which seems to be an often reported thing here on the cow. If that is the case FCPX might have a hard time reading the render file and obviously have a hard time copying them.

As a side note, at my shop we always turn off background rendering unless we have a heavy composite that we want to preview. Since I started using the latest iMac in February, I have never had to render in FCPX.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]