FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Renames Files When Importing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Vallejo
Final Cut Renames Files When Importing
on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:55:32 pm

I'm importing from a memory card to Final Cut Pro X using the FCP Import Window. Instead of preserving the original MVI file name, FCP changes it to time of capture (so 2013-07-16 13:40:00). Any way for FCP to NOT do this?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Final Cut Renames Files When Importing
on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:17:04 pm

Not the actual captured file in the finder, but you can rename the files in FCPX's browser using the batch renaming capabilities found in the inspector in the "gear" section.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 17, 2013 at 2:52:41 am

Which is a nice thing.

I suspect X changed this when shooters who generated a LOT of clips started noticing that any auto-generated file number with just 4 places tops out at 10,000 unique names.

I've already cycled through 10,000 sequential numbers at least half a dozen times on my DSLR since I'm doing still shoots as well as videos.

Using a well constructed date/time based code essentially always uses a unique ID no matter how many files you generate.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jul 18, 2013 at 6:23:04 am

It doesn't rename. It just shows another metadata.
As Jeremy suggests, go to the inspector. Open the gear. Batch rename the eventfiles to "original filename". There are very powerful renaming tools in there. It is just hidden in an awkward place.

Return to posts index

Justin powell
on Jul 28, 2013 at 9:53:07 am

This just changed my whole world. I have been Log and transferring with FCP7 to retain camera given clip names.

MacBook Pro Retina Display
2.7ghz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
512 SSD
FCPX 10.0.8, CS6, Smoke 2013
Mac OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:25:22 pm

[Justin powell] "This just changed my whole world. I have been Log and transferring with FCP7 to retain camera given clip names."

Awesome. Glad to hear it!

The nice thing is that it's non destructive, you can change the names back and forth if you need to, but just know that it might screw up any name based smart collections if you do so.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Justin powell
on Jul 28, 2013 at 5:15:29 pm

Could you define "name based" in the context youre using it?

MacBook Pro Retina Display
2.7ghz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
512 SSD
FCPX 10.0.8, CS6, Smoke 2013
Mac OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:30:06 am

Sorry, Justin, for the delay.

What I meant was, if you setup a Smart Collection based on name, and then change that name through a batch rename, you will lose those clips out of the collection.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]