FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.0.1 -Viewer Window - BLACK

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendy Snyder
FCPX 10.0.1 -Viewer Window - BLACK
on Jul 14, 2013 at 11:07:37 pm

I am editing on a 2006 MAC PRO - 8600 Video Card - 16GB Ram....10 minute film, under a deadline. Have been editing for 2 weeks on a duplicate I made of the original rough cut. Yesterday, suddenly lost the picture in the viewer window. Black only. I removed a dissolve, and the image came back. I made another action, and the picture was lost again...black. The audio could be heard. I downloaded Preference Manager....and trashed the preferences from FCPX....but no change. FCP X10.0.1
Any advice?

Some Questions:
Would upgrading to 10.0.8 (mid-project) fix this? Is it a software issue? Bad Ram? 2006 Mac Pro not compatible with demands from FCP X10? What to do if the files are corrupt?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX 10.0.1 -Viewer Window - BLACK
on Jul 15, 2013 at 1:16:00 pm

What was the other "action"? Was it an effect of some sort?

Return to posts index

Wendy Snyder
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:15:15 pm

Sorry about that, no, the action was just another copy/paste of a dissolve...or trying to alter the time of a dissolve or of a black (generator?) background.... the footage is visible in the timeline....but the viewer is black.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 15, 2013 at 6:33:13 pm

At the top of the viewer, on the right hand, there's what looks like a light switch.

Make sure Channels > All is checked.

Return to posts index

Wendy Snyder
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:03:47 pm

Thanks Jeremy...ALL is checked in channels. Still no picture.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:25:05 pm

If I were you I'd duplicate the event, project, and FCPX app. Move them to another hard drive or some place safe, and upgrade. That way you'll be able to go back to 10.0.1 easily by just deleting the upgraded app and replacing it with your duplicate 10.0.1 version and see if that helps you out.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:29:26 pm

I'd trash your render files before doing anything.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 16, 2013 at 11:41:00 am

This issue has been mentioned before. Like Jeremy says: deleting your Project Render Files might restore everything to normal. If this does not help: what is the format of the footage you are editing?

If possible I would try to finish this edit using the current version. SO much has changed in FCPX since v. 10.0.1 that it may be risky to update mid-project.

Return to posts index

Wendy Snyder
on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:59:20 pm

Trashing All Render Files WORKED! Amazing. Met with a Final Cut Pro person at the Apple Genius Bar yesterday, he suggested upgrading to 10.0.8 and then re-linking all the frames. But I decided to try your suggestion first...and success. So many many many thanks, to you.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2013 at 4:22:26 pm

Glad to hear it Wendy. AS Ronny said, upgrading to 10.0.8 at this stage should be a true last resort.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jul 16, 2013 at 5:01:03 pm

.1 was very buggy.

I would be sorely tempted to clone your drive with the X event and project, and your system disc. Upgrade to .8, trash the render files and see what happens.

Upto .3 had the really annoy bug where the timeline would zip around.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Wendy Snyder
on Jul 16, 2013 at 11:45:43 pm

Thank you all...I am nearly finished with this edit...so I am going to limp my way out of it...and then.. on to the Update. If tomorrow brings something unanticipated...I will follow your suggestion, and get out of Dodge. Many Thanks. W

Return to posts index

Wendy Snyder
on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:44:13 pm

It is acting up again. Going black, when I add a dissolve. Shall I try Michael's approach... All the data is on my 4th HD on my Mac Pro. It is also on my DROBO external drive. That is where I am importing the data from. Not sure how to clone it. Shouldn't I just download 10.0.8...and re-link everything from the Drobo? Trash 10.0.1.....Your thoughts? Thanks.W

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jul 17, 2013 at 7:00:10 pm

Clone the system drive (with Carbon Copy Cloner or something) and the data drive (updating a project and event to 10.0.8 format is irreversible) and then go for it.

You can safely go back with no problems.

You really have little to loose at this stage I reckon.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jul 17, 2013 at 7:35:31 pm

While cloning the drive is a very safe way to make sure you can restore completely and thoroughly, it's time consuming and in my opinion not necessary at this stage.

As long as you have a copy of FCPX 10.0.1 (along with motion and compressor if you have those), as well as a copy of your event and project on a separate hard, you can always restore your current state by simply deleting the upgraded application, project, and event and copying your restored versions back.

How I've done this in the past: Make a folder on a second hard drive called FCPX_10.0.1_Backup

Copy your Final Cut Pro.app, Compressor.app, and Motion.app in there.

Make 2 folders in there, one called Events and one called Projects. Copy your event folder into the events, and your project folder into projects. Note that you don't need to copy the original media, render files, or transcoded files as long as you have your original media somewhere else if you want to speed up the copy.

You now have a portable version of your event, project, and 10.0.1 version that could be ran on any mac, it does not need to be restored to your original mac.

Once you've verified the backup, unplug the hard drive and update to 10.0.8. Launch FCPX. This will update your project and event to 10.0.8 versions. There have been many changes since 10.0.1 and something might not work exactly right but hopefully at this point you'll be able to get going again.

If not, and you'd like to restore, simply delete the Final Cut Pro.app and restore from your 10.0.1 folder, then delete the event folder and project folder and restore those as well.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2013 at 7:28:57 pm

I would not upgrade mid project without extensive backups.

I would trash your render files again, you can do this right from FCPX.

Make sure to trash Event and Project render files.

[Wendy Snyder] "All the data is on my 4th HD on my Mac Pro. It is also on my DROBO external drive."

Do you have two identical Events on two mounted disks?

Return to posts index

Wendy Snyder
on Jul 17, 2013 at 7:57:46 pm

Thanks everyone...I did trash the renders again today....twice. Even though I have imported from the Drobo... I did see that there was a Final Cut Event and Final Cut Projects Folder on the 4th Drive...but they were empty. I have trashed them...just in case. So now, The plan is to move the entire 4th Internal Drive material to a 3rd Internal Drive...and clone the Drobo material. Try to follow what Loren has suggested...And download the 10.0.8. Stay tuned.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2013 at 8:42:04 pm

Drobo's aren't really great for editing.

Perhaps try moving your Event and Project from the Drobo to the 4th or 3rd drive.

You can do this in FCPX, too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Wendy Snyder
on Jul 19, 2013 at 12:56:48 am

Interesting to read that about the Drobo. Will do. I downloaded 10.0.8 and the data reloaded easily. But then the program started acting quirky and then dropping frames and numerous odd other things. Spent the morning on the phone with Apple Final Cut, and then sent to CPU Senior Advisor....apparently 2006 Mac Pro can only have a maximum of 16 GB...evenly distributed and I had recently upped it to 24. Working out all of these details took the rest of the day...but now I am working with the edit...and when I finish, I am getting a new Mac Pro....done. Many Thanks for all your help and advice and especially..for your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]