FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicating Event & Multiple Projects to New Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Forrest Burger
Duplicating Event & Multiple Projects to New Drive
on Jul 12, 2013 at 6:02:12 pm

This is a first time for me, and I could use some help so I don't mess things up...still pretty new to FCPX.

I am attempting to move an event that has 5 projects associated with it to a new drive to give someone to work on. Each project has a compound clip at the beginning with graphics that contain some common elements but have been modified to fit each individual project.

The event and projects also reference media outside the event folder (music, VO, graphics, etc).

I have duplicated the event and the projects on the new drive, each with the same names as on the original drive. I have also moved all associated folders that live outside the event folder (music and related media) to the new drive. But, when I open up a project on the new drive the compound clips don't seem to be transferring and I am having to manually relink the rest of the files.

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Forrest

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Duplicating Event & Multiple Projects to New Drive
on Jul 12, 2013 at 8:00:02 pm

Duplicating the event to a new drive also duplicates the references verbatim. So the new event is still linking to the music, etc. on the old drive. Copying the music, etc. folders to the new drive and relinking is a painstaking process. You could also just drag those music, etc. folders directly onto the event and that should relink any duplicate files. For example, if a music track is unlinked in an event, you can simply drag that music track to the event. FCP will recognize that it's the same specs as a missing file in the event and will relink. It won't import a second copy. A hell of a lot easier than going through the relink dialog. So, you can drag over all your folders at once in theory. I tend to have folders that mimic basic keyword collections. Music, VO, stock footage, etc. So in your situtation I'd probably drag each one of those folders to the event individually and spot check the linking as I went.

But even easier that all that, you could just duplicate the event to the new drive, and then choose file>organize event files. That will eliminate all the references and copy the linked media to the event folder. It's what I do when I'm done with a project and need to consolidate it to a backup drive.

Return to posts index

Forrest Burger
on Jul 12, 2013 at 9:25:03 pm

Thanks, Bret. I'll give that a go when I get a chance...onto something else for now.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 14, 2013 at 5:53:46 pm

[Bret Williams] "But even easier that all that, you could just duplicate the event to the new drive, and then choose file>organize event files. That will eliminate all the references and copy the linked media to the event folder. It's what I do when I'm done with a project and need to consolidate it to a backup drive.
"

What about the project itself? Just duplicate it over within FC? Then I assume delete the event and project within FC?

I store all my project components (FCP Events FCP Project folders) on a sparse image. If I copy over the sparse image to a new drive for back up then everything goes with it. Any gotchas there?

I will be setting up a lab with 20 FC stations. I need a way to load media/projects for many different students/teams so that their work is protected from all other users. I thought I'd use password protected sparse images but the encryption of all media to a sparse image is really really slow and I don't have that kind of time. Any ideas?

One thing I discovered but have not tested well yet: sparse images are grayed out in simple finder. So as admin I could mount and unmount each user's sparse image using remote desktop. Any thoughts?

Your posts btw have been really informative - thanks.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 15, 2013 at 2:37:26 am

I don't do sparse images. Didn't like the added step/complication. Didn't see the point. I have projects backed up to folders. In that folder is lots of stuff like AE files, PSD files, scripts, jpegs from cliet, etc. I also have an events folder and a projects folder. I can easily browse and search my entire computer system for a file without mounting sparse images. If I want to edit the project, I move the event to the root.

That said, I was addressing the op question about 1 event linked to multiple projects and moving them to another drive. There's a lot to that. Can do it in X or the finder. Sounded like he was accomplishing the task, but that the event was still linked to the originals on the other drive. I was just addressing that with organize event files.

If I had to move lots of events and projects, I'd do it in the finder with X closed. Then take the original event and projects offline (with event X) and launch FCX and make sure all was good and organize event files.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:30:03 am

I follow to a degree. Not sure how moving an event folder to the root is any faster than opening a sparse image. Also you can't have more than one FC event folder open on the root so what if you need more than one project open? Or is this what you mean - moving the event into the root's FC event folder?

I am looking for a way that a student can't open up other student projects or media or any file that is not theirs. Although most of the kids are great, it only takes one hater to destroy many student projects/work. The media will be stored on an external raid and I've had spotty luck with user permissions connected to external drives and folders within them. Plus it would be great if I don't have to create many user accounts. A lot easier to quit FC, unmount the sparse image, mount the next one, than having to log an account off and log another one in, then open FC.

In simple finder, all the sparse images are grayed out. If I load one from my admin user account then it will show up in FCP X. If I don't, they can't open it. Seems like a solution. Not sure without experience if there are any gotchas. And maybe there is a better way. But the way you are suggesting would not protect projects and their related files from the wrong hands. In FC all you would have to do is Import media and you can browse the entire external media drive for any file you like except for sparse images which are grayed out. I think by default they belong to the account that created them because to even get one to work in the test student account I had to change permissions to allow access including all enclosed files.

You seem to have a really solid grasp of how FC interacts with the finder. When I organized folders in the finder on a project i was working on with my own computer, I found that I had to re-link everything in FC. This was similar though less complex than the original post. My project file was pointing to the old location. When I instead moved an event to a different drive within FC it worked fine. However I have saved the link to your suggestions to solve this on a finder level. My situation setting up a student lab is a horse of a different color.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]