FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Multi Clip Group Change Audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jes Webb
FCPX Multi Clip Group Change Audio
on Jul 9, 2013 at 6:52:41 pm

We are still getting used to FCPX. I am using tutorials from Lynda and Larry Jordon but I cannot easily find an answer to this.....

We are editing a 6 hour training video in multi-cam. the problem is that after we got an hour into the program we decided we liked on of the other microphone feeds better. is there a way to change all the associated clips in the timeline at once to another microphone or do we have to clip on everyone one of them? :-(

I am sure the question is slightly on the novice side. So I'll apologize ahead. The learning curve on this software has been at both ends for us.

Jes

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Re: FCPX Multi Clip Group Change Audio
on Jul 9, 2013 at 9:28:37 pm

Select a clip in the timeline and open up the audio properties. When I do this I can see all of the audio channels from all of the sources. You may be able to just turn off the one you're monitoring now, and turn on the desired one.

I'm not sure but I expect that any audio keyframes you made to the clip will stay there, but I would expect that if you made any keyframes to individual channels, they will go away.

If this works for one, you can easily select all of the rest and do this to all of them.

I don't do audio switching when I do multicam clips, but you could also try just switching the audio like you switch the video sources. I don't know what the key combination is for that.

I'd make a copy of your timeline, or part of it, to try things before you do something you can't undo. Technically you should be able to undo anything, but I'm not entirely convinced.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 9, 2013 at 9:48:13 pm

Like Mark says:

1. Group-select all the clips in your multicam timeline
2. Go to the Inspector > Audio tab > Channel Configuration
3. Un-check the audio channel you don't want anymore
4. Check the audio channel you want to hear

IMO FCPX is not hard to learn at all. And it has without any doubt the best multi cam implementation you can find.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 10, 2013 at 11:04:26 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "IMO FCPX is not hard to learn at all. And it has without any doubt the best multi cam implementation you can find."

Not for some people ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:08:36 pm

Hi Charlie,

Yes, I have read that little discussion and it made me roll under my desk with laughter. I'll tell you a little secret:

No matter what clip you select on your multicam timeline, when you press SHIFT+F FCPX will instantly reveal the original media of that clip inside the multicam clip in the Event Browser and it will match to it. So where's the problem?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:17:10 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "So where's the problem?"

:-) The problem is that people believe everything they read on the internet, or that they use X but don't bother to learn, or just play around and figure out, how it works. Maybe they're looking for it to match to and reveal the instance of the clip that's in the multicam clip timeline or something? Who knows. There are plenty of other NLE's to choose from, they should move on...

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:36:57 pm

We could not agree more ((-:

The topic was: in FCPX multicam you cannot match back to the original media, thus multicam in FCPX is sub standard. I can easily prove this is a false statement but I'm a little tired of telling people they should learn the app before spreading incorrect information. FCPX is far from perfect, just like any other NLE, but it does have the best multicam implementation I have ever seen.

Return to posts index

Jes Webb
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:45:33 pm

Thanks Guys. I appreciate your time. Ronny, your advice did it for us.

I will say the multi-cam option is better here then the one we use in FCPS and better then anything else I have used. The Sync option is a godsend alone. These projects come in once in a blue moon but they take up a lot of time and space.

Our machine got a little boggy and we have to be patient but that wasn't unexpected. I would say FCPX has it's place with a small town money making pro of 15+ years like me. I can see where a couple of my 5 figure jobs needed a little more. I don't really care what people think of me based on what software I use. I only care that I am still working and my clients are happy.

So far I would say we are happy with most of it.

Thanks again.

Jes

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:55:57 pm

Hi Jes,

I don't really care what people think of me based on what software I use. I only care that I am still working and my clients are happy.

That's the spirit of a real pro!

Happy editing.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:55:24 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "I'm a little tired of telling people they should learn the app before spreading incorrect information."

Me too... I pretty much come here now specifically to read stuff by folks who know what they're doing, and try to help folks with genuine questions. The rest just provides comic relief. ;-)

[Ronny Courtens] "FCPX is far from perfect, just like any other NLE,"

Yep, but despite it's shortcomings I really like where X is going. I Have PrCC, MC, and 7 on my machine. It's sorta painful to use any of those 3 these days... Really looking forward to whatever Apple has in store for the next version. :-)

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 12, 2013 at 6:27:09 am

The rest just provides comic relief. ;-)

LOL!!!

Return to posts index

Austin Flack
on Jul 16, 2013 at 5:45:39 pm

I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think you can actually do a frame accurate match back to the original media—instead of the multicam. You also can't "collapse" multicams. This is a huge bummer for a couple of reasons: 1) I can't send my cut to DaVinci Resolve because it doesn't recognize multicams 2) Some FCP X effects, like Stabilization, inexplicably don't work on multicams.

For example, right now I am working from a multicam, and I've got a pan that's just a bit wobbly. I'd love to stabilize it a bit with FCPX. If I Shift-F on the clip in the timeline (project) it will indeed bring me to the correct frame of the multicam. However, I can't match frame again, back to the original media.

Also, very frustratingly, I thought maybe if I didn't move the event skimmer, and then I selected "Open in Angle Editor" from the menu bar, it would keep my frame the same and I could set an in point and overwrite to my timeline. Unfortunately, for some dumb reason, when you "Open in Angle Viewer" it appears to pick an apparently random frame in the vicinity of the intended frame on which to park my skimmer.

So, in other words, if I want to replace this clip to stabilize it, I have to do it manually using timecode. Meaning, I have to turn on "Show Skimmer Info", press "S" to turn on video skimming, press Shift-F to match to the multiclip, memorize or write down the timecode because the skimmer info disappears after 3-4 seconds, then "Open in Angle Editor", then type in that timecode, then finally I can set an in point (note: I still can't set an accurate out point unless I also write down the duration of the clip I am trying to replace), then I can copy the clip (not insert or overwrite because I'm not in the event viewer anymore, I'm in the Angle Editor).

NOW I can switch back to my timeline and paste the clip. Suffice to say, that is a long way from satisfactory.

If you know of a better way to match back to original (non-mulitcam) media, collapse multicam, of some other voodoo, please please please let me know.

Austin Flack
http://www.austinflack.com

Return to posts index

marty simpson
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:22:23 pm

Just to add one thing to this.

NOt sure why this happened but it only worked for me when I selected all clips --- then with all 246 edits selected, literally checked every box then unchecked every box, then selected the ONE audio angle I wanted to be heard.

Until I checked and unchecked -- it just ADDED the newly selected track to the deal. I think it only shows you the selected stuff for where the timeline playhead is --- so you have to select all so you can UNselect all...

Just worth noting. thought this may help others.

http://www.BlueEyedPanda.com
Blue-Eyed Panda Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]