FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Micro Moire Minimizing" plugin recommendation for use in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
"Micro Moire Minimizing" plugin recommendation for use in FCPX?
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:45:41 pm

Hi, Some archival footage was send to me with wide shots of invasive plant infestations on a lake and it's got a bad case of micro-jitters. (Editing size is 1080p, 30 fps).

Is there A) A good plugin to lessen the jitters overall, or: B) A way to use masks on the most affected areas of high detail and "slow the jitters down" or "blur to soften" the hard edged details"?

Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: "Micro Moire Minimizing" plugin recommendation for use in FCPX?
on Jul 9, 2013 at 6:27:17 pm

You can usually apply a .3 - .5 gaussian blur to the entire frame to minimize moire in a frame. It's more or less undetectable to the naked eye. You can apply a higher blur to masked areas if it's extremely bad, but I rarely come across that.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 10, 2013 at 12:10:32 pm

What Andy said.

Also, you seemed to be giving us the editing format you want to use. But saying little about the originating format.

If, for example, you are mapping a standard definition video source onto a high-def raster - that can make moire issues much worse.

It might be better to simply scale the SD footage down so that it maps pixel to pixel more directly.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Jul 10, 2013 at 10:17:50 pm

Andy, 0.5 settings on Guassian Filter helped, but the jitter is still obvious, just softer edged...

Bill, The footage was shot at 1080p, 30 fps, (same as edit size), so I'm not dealing with size conversion issues...

For the relative newbie, what's the best way to paste in a 3 second clip url link for you to see? Post 1080p clip (uploaded to Vimeo Plus and "settings>make 1080P version", then paste the link into next reply?

If there's a quicker/easier way, please advise...

Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 10, 2013 at 11:01:30 pm

You can upload video files directly in the reply box for this thread. It's the icon that looks like a film projector, just to the left of the file upload button (floppy icon) when you hit reply to a thread. Just upload it there if you want us to take a look.

But if .5 blur won't do it, you have three choices. Decide that it minimizes the moire enough and leave it, add more blur and live with the softening to your shot, or create a mask for the moire'd element and blur only that (but realize that it'll start to stand out by the amount of blur if you get too crazy with it.

Andy

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Jul 11, 2013 at 3:41:52 am

A 5sec clip to inspect... It's pretty bad...
Don't know what the camera/model was...

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/moire-issue-archival-footage-vermont-inva...

~ Steve Underwood

Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:03:42 am

I know you may need or want to keep the move for aesthetic reasons, but the slow tilt up combined with the pixel variations in the content is likely what's killing you.

And the tilt, while nice, really doesn't add to my understanding of the scene. So I'd consider just grabbing a still from the shot end where the framing is the nicest and I bet the static shot would improve the moire issue a lot.

Again, I understand someone wanting the tilt. But I'd hate the moire more than I'd love the tilt.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:33:16 pm

Grab a still and add a very small creep zoom in, just so it doesn't look/feel like a freeze. Zoom in don't usually have issue with this kind of moire. If that is the right term. It looks to me like it's either compression artifacts or it's interlaced in a progressive timeline.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:46:51 am

Do you have Motion, because this can be fixed in Motion. What you basically need here is a gradient blur. The way it works is you set a blur amount, like 2 or 3 (to get rid of the moire). Then you use two control points to set the starting point of the blur and the end point (where there is no blur). This way, you get a gradient effect where elements in the background are blurred more and elements in the foreground are blurred less. Does that make sense? Basically, you'd be able to get away with a much higher blur in the upper third of the lake where the moire is worst but the foreground elements would remain in focus.

If you know your way around Motion, you'd probably even be able to create the gradient blur as a FCPX effect to apply inside FCPX.

Andy

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:25:55 pm

Yes, The 'tilt' reveals the true ugliness of the moire. There's enough extra footage after the camera stops moving, so I'll go with that.

It's good to know about the "Gaussian Fix" as I have some older 5Dmk2 nature shots that have moire on a lesser scale, and I just tested it on a couple of those. It improved them a lot.

I'll explore the gradient gaussian suggestion in Motion at some point. I appreciate the good advice.

~ Steve Underwood

Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:35:56 pm

Coremelt slicex with mocha will do that gradient blur as well. Plus it's just one of the coolest plugins to have for so many things.

Only $100 if you buy here http://www.toolfarm.com/buy/coremelt_slicex_powered_by_mocha_for_fcpx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]