FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to HOLD a keyframe in your timeline? very simple question but can't find it in FCP X!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
how to HOLD a keyframe in your timeline? very simple question but can't find it in FCP X!
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:25:58 pm

Hello!
I am looking around some posts because I need to HOLD some keyframes and can't find the way to do it :(

I read that you right click the keyframe in the video inspector window, but i don't have a right click and can't find a way to do it, not even control click or anything....I also tried doing it in the video animation tab in the timeline...nothing (right clicking, control click everything clicking!!)

can anyone tell me how to? can't find it anywhere....so frustrating!
thank you all!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: how to HOLD a keyframe in your timeline? very simple question but can't find it in FCP X!
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:48:09 pm

No hold keyframe. You can right click on the keyframe in the viewer, and choose linear or smooth. But changes to the temporal data aren't available. They're all ease in/out. If you want to remove the easing, you have to place a keyframe right before and (If applicable) after the keyframe that is easing. Then delete the new keyframe. I guess that forces it to remove easing since it can't ease over the course of 1 frame.

You can control easing on a particularly useless property. Opacity. Right click in between the keyframes in the keyframe editor in the sequence after expanding the opacity property to see the keyframes.

I have never needed to change the easing of opacity in 20 years. But who knows. Maybe they'll port that over to the other properties that actually make sense. Probably not. As in FCP Legacy keyframing was also a horrible mess, and not one single change was made to it's functionality in the 13 years that they had a chance to.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: how to HOLD a keyframe in your timeline? very simple question but can't find it in FCP X!
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:50:42 pm

Oh, so to do a hold, you'd have to simply have two linear keyframes with no easing of the same value. So just copy the first keyframe, and move down the timeline to where you'd want the hold to end and paste.... oh, wait.... you can't copy and paste keyframes in X. Or legacy. But gosh, who'd want to do that? All those other NLEs are just wasting code on that feature!

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:04:14 am

Thanks Bret, it just doesn't really make sense..not putting this function with keyframes..can't believe they didn't. Unbelievable!

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54:51 am

A "hold" consists of two keyframes with the same values. The duration of the "hold" is set by the time between the two keyframes.

anickt

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:02:10 am

I already know what a hold is...I am asking how to hold a keyframe for a long time until I change the value. I am asking if it is somewhere in FCPX and I am not seeing it, like you do in After Effects in a second.
I know what a hold is, thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:38:06 am

FCP keyframing ≠ Ae keyframing

To set up a hold keyframe type of action, put a keyframe at the beginning of the move, put a key frame at the end of the move, now go forward one frame and adjust, this making a new keyframe.

You have to make one more keyframe than Ae. It's not too much of a travesty, I promise, although FCPX could stand to use some better keyframing.

I don't know what parameter you are adjusting, but to get keyframes in the viewer, try hitting shift-t to bring up the transform controls.

FCPX does have a "lock point" function, but it doesn't work like Ae hold keyframes.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 9, 2013 at 12:54:06 pm

Thanks J, I didn't want to do that...But I can see is the only solution! Definitely keyframing is not at all a good feature in FCPX...thanks for talking your time to answer.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jul 9, 2013 at 1:14:11 pm

Hi Ester,

true, FCPX is not great at keyframing and we're all hoping for improvements.

Having said so, comparing FCPX to AE isn't fair IMHO. And for any complex keyframing, go to Motion (where you can copy, paste keyframes etc.)

One thing missing yet re Motion that we did have in prev. version is roundtripping. But you knew that.

hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 9, 2013 at 1:21:59 pm

Hey P! I actually just purchased Motion5 and will start right away, actually today! I am hoping that you can copy and paste keyframes! Can you also hold keyframes? and what do you mean with roundtripping?

thks P!!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:10:07 pm

I would think keyframing in X should be held at least to the standard of Avid or Premiere, don't you? In both you can copy and paste keyframes. In Premiere you can hold, ease in/out, etc. just like AE. So I DO believe that X should be held to the same standard, at least for basic stuff, as AE. X and Legacy's keyframe engine is just inexcusable. And since Motion is no longer included and doesn't support roundtripping, then it's not a very good argument either that advanced keyframing should be done in Motion. Not that anything being discussed is in any way advanced.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:10:52 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "FCPX does have a "lock point" function, but it doesn't work like Ae hold keyframes."

Lock keyframe is just that. It locks it so it can't be deleted or adjusted. It's not like a corner point.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jul 10, 2013 at 1:49:49 am

Quote:

I would think keyframing in X should be held at least to the standard of Avid or Premiere, don't you?

No I don't. I think it should be superior to them, specially to Avid's.

As for the argument that Motion is not included, it never was.
Final Cut Studio was a bundle of softwares. The bundle is gone and you can now buy them individually (save for DVDSP and Color that are EOL'd). To me this is just a way of selling software, nothing else.

As for roundtripping, I am most impatient to see it come back and I think it will (but I am not reading tea leaves...)

And I stick to the fact that I would not compare an editing software with a compositing software, even though some functions in both sometimes blur the boundaries.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:32:25 pm

Semantics? I mean, it WAS included with final cut studio. You had no choice but to have it in your arsenal. And my last upgrade to FCS 3 was $299. Now, to get a subset of those functions, I had to pay $399 to get compressor, FCP X, and motion.

My point being that for anyone owning studio, you could make the argument that if they wanted advanced key framing then they needed to roundtrip to moiton. That is not a valid argument for X. It requires and additional purchase and there's no roundtripping. The latter being the even more important argument of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]