FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple Keyboard Shortcut Survey...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Simple Keyboard Shortcut Survey...
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:09:03 pm

I'm doing a basic half-hour lesson for our local FCP-X Users Group about the most useful keyboard shortcuts to learn for a beginning FCP-X user.

Obviously I'll cover the fundamental stuff like the JKL navigation cluster and the QWE-style single edit mode changes - but since every editor approaches their craft differently, I thought it would be useful to do an informal survey and see what other editors consider to be the MOST important (or simply most "used" keyboard shortcuts that they employ every day.

I fully appreciate that with 304 (!) on the official Apple keyboard shortcut list for FCP-X - no single lesson can ever cover them all - and equally obviously many are contextual - depending in what part of the software you're working with and the kind of task you're doing - so I welcome some grouped responses such as "when I'm in the event browser, these are my top five most used - and when I'm in the storyline, I use these 5 most frequently."

Also, if you do a particular type of editing most often, (e.g. multi-cam or maybe audio ) feel free to pop in with the top five in that area.

I don't want to make this a lot of work for anyone, so explanations of why are definitely optional. I just want to see if what I'd highlight in the presentation is close to what others would.

If nothing else, the open discussion might help everyone notice some they may have forgotten or regularly overlook!

(It will definitely help me not to have to presume that the top ones *I* use - are necessarily the same top 5 that everyone else is using!

Thanks in advance.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
Re: Simple Keyboard Shortcut Survey...
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:49:50 pm

Bill,

I'll plumb for the following:

Shift+C = Crop
Shift+T = Trim
Shift+CMD = Distort
Shift+CMD+V=Paste Attributes
Cmd+K = Keywords
Shift=CMD+2 = show/ hide Timeline index

(sorry Bill, that's 6)
I think with any shortcuts, the less time on the mouse and the more time taken in with 'hardcore' editing, cuts down the editing time and gives better value to the client - or conversely, more time to solving a problem.

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:57:50 pm

I've mapped my 3 most used timeline views to SHIFT 1-3 on the numeric keyboard. I find it extremely helpful to jump between them when cutting.

I've also mapped each one of the effects broswers to SHIFT+function keys.

Probably my most used shortcuts are:

Tops and Tails (OPT+] and [ ). I use this so much that I've remapped them so it's a single button press.

Freeze connections ( ~ ). Always helpful for swapping shots in the primary when you don't want to displace music, VO, sfx, or broll connected to the clip you're moving.

Hold Frame ( SHIFT+H ).

Matchframe ( SHIFT+F ) Wish it worked better, but I still use it a ton.

Insert Gap ( OPT+W )

Expand/Collapse Audio Components ( CTL+OPT+S ). I've actually remapped these to CMD+SHIFT+S because I found CTL+OPT to be a bit unwieldy as a modifier combo.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:33:34 pm

My most used have been mentioned so I'll throw these out-

custom maps...
cmd+(up or down arrow) enlarges or shrinks the clip height (clip appearance) for me
shift+E to expand all
shift+cmd+E to collapse all

shift+Z to zoom to fit (in the viewer or the timeline) I do this all day to navigate the timeline
cmd++/- to zoom in / out
z to zoom in with a marquee
ctrl+R to render selection

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:40:05 pm

[Bret Williams] "shift+E to expand all"

I've always wondered why people map this. I mean, I've never needed ALL my clips expanded at once, and in the unlikely scenario that I do, I can just hit CMD+A to select all my clips and then my regular expand shortcut. Collapse All Clips, I totally get. I've just never seen the need to waste an entire shortcut on something so easy with existing shortcuts.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:59:48 pm

Because I save a step? Because I don't have to remember the normal expand shortcut and add the secondary select all shortcut (which I would then also have to DESELECT all of course because after expanding, why would I want all my clips selected?

I keep my timelines collapsed most of the time. If I'm working on a small section of audio, I generally would want the 3 or 4 visible clips on the screen. My method, I just press shift+E and they're all expanded. I didn't have to select them or select all. Then like you said, collapse all makes perfect sense. It's not that I need the others expanded, but it's more of a view toggle. View the timeline in audio edit mode, or in rough-in mode.

Want to do something annoying? Take a big complex timeline. Select all. Then press ctrl+v to expand all the key framing. Then, press ctrl+v to reclose them all. Oops! Some of your clips weren't expanded becuase they had transitions or were audio, etc. So guess what? They won't collapse because it's a toggle and some are expanded and some aren't. Now the keyframes of each expanded clip have to be unexpanded manually. Any one know of a shortcut to close all video animation? I haven't really looked.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:12:18 pm

[Bret Williams] "Because I save a step? Because I don't have to remember the normal expand shortcut and add the secondary select all shortcut (which I would then also have to DESELECT all of course because after expanding, why would I want all my clips selected?"

Save a step makes sense, but don't tell me you have trouble remembering the shortcut for Select All and Deselect All. It's the same shortcut in pretty much every single program on a mac. ;)

[Bret Williams] "If I'm working on a small section of audio, I generally would want the 3 or 4 visible clips on the screen. My method, I just press shift+E and they're all expanded. I didn't have to select them or select all. Then like you said, collapse all makes perfect sense."

This was my point. I'm the same as you. I only want the few clips expanded that I happen to be working on. I just do a quick lasso and then the expand shortcut. Then use collapse all to tidy up my timeline.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:20:39 pm

That's my point. Sometimes I might want all expanded, like if I'd doing an audio mix. I don't actually know the expand shortcut. I just remember the one. Expand all. And save a step. Bewildering why this bewilders you. If I just want to expand one, I do the double click thing. But I usually end up deciding I need to expand one before and or after, and then another nearby, etc. Exapand all gives me access to all of it, just like legacy. Except I have to collapse to do a regular video AND audio trim. If not for that, I'd leave it expanded all the time. They really need to work on trimming efficiency in X compared to legacy and Avid too.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:55:53 pm

I'm not bewildered, I just said I wondered. I was just curious as to the thought that goes into using that shortcut considering in my own work, I've never needed every clip expanded at once. It's just an interest in how other people work.

Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:11:15 pm

[Andy Neil] "Expand/Collapse Audio Components ( CTL+OPT+S )."

What about command-s? It's so much easier! ;)

Expand audio components (shift-e)
Expand only splits (option-shift-e)
Collapse all (control-shift-e)

tilde. Tilde tilde tilde. And use it combination with other commands, like make an Audition.

Remap command-b (cut) to just b. This make cutting anything much easier, especially if you have clip skimming on. Command-b should be blade all.

Clip skimming, map it (I use command-s for it), and know the difference of clip skimming and regular skimming (s) and how the two can operate independently of each other.

Open in timeline - "Zero"

View Event Browser as filmstrip - "1"
As list - "2"

Select audio edges and how they work.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:47:27 pm

Love all these. Thanks and keep them coming.

When I saw that X had 300 plus keywords already in place, I realized that many are kinda "modal" and one editor, for example, who does little multicam switching could benefit from remapping the "1" key - where an editor who does a lot of multi-cam might not want to muddy the "take camera 1" waters.

Again, I appreciate the input.

I'm trying to get a head start on the Users Group meeting since I have both an out of town 3-day seminar and a full week in San Diego (Comicon with the family!) screwing up my work schedule this month.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:53:15 pm

[Bill Davis] "When I saw that X had 300 plus keywords already in place, I realized that many are kinda "modal" and one editor, for example, who does little multicam switching could benefit from remapping the "1" key - where an editor who does a lot of multi-cam might not want to muddy the "take camera 1" waters."

That's what the numpad is for!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:25:14 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "That's what the numpad is for!"

Oops,

Forgot those of us who often need to edit on our laptops need to accept our "second class editor" status with grace.

; )

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:43:04 pm

Ha ha.

Good thing you can still plug full size keyboards in to laptops.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:25:27 pm

You can also buy a cheap usb number pad for like $5 on ebay or amazon. Had to get one for my wife since she does a lot of excel on hers.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:00:33 am

Remind me to take and post a photo of my "trade show floor reporter rig" next week at Comicon.

I used it at NAB to shoot and file about 10 video standup pieces. I'll probably only do a couple at the end of the month from SanDiego since I didn't think ahead enough to apply for a formal press pass and I'll likely have limited show floor access - but it's still a lot of fun to be able to make useful video on the road at an event like this.

My rolling backpack rig holds enough gear to light, mic and shoot on either my DSLR (or iPhone if they're just quickies!), record field audio, - then ingest, edit and upload finished stories from a press room table.

Trust me, there's no room in that rig for even a paperback book, let alone an external keyboard! And I find I can edit just fine with the stock MBP's internal keyboard.

I know that for many here, editing is their sole focus and job. But for others of us, it's just a part (albeit a very important part!) of the larger picture of using modern video tools to build and deliver all sorts of content.

FCP-X should be a tool for ALL editors, IMO. Not just "editing desk jockey" editors. Heck, I'm one of those a whole lot of the time. But not always.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 8, 2013 at 11:38:19 pm

[Bill Davis] "I realized that many are kinda "modal" and one editor, for example, who does little multicam switching could benefit from remapping the "1" key - where an editor who does a lot of multi-cam might not want to muddy the "take camera 1" waters."

I actually have a couple of different shortcut keyboards. One for basic editing/organizing, and one for multicam edits. I just switch keyboard maps when I need to edit a multicam project.

Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:14:18 pm

CTL+OPT+S is Apple's shortcut, not mine. To me CMD+SHIFT+S is as easy as CMD+S because my fingers are in the same exact place for both. Besides. CMD+S is reserved for savin...oh. :-)

Andy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:27:07 pm

[Andy Neil] "CMD+S is reserved for savin...oh. :-)"

Damn, I had just finally gotten the "eject floppy" keystroke out of my deep brain storage!

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:00:20 am

B to blade, cmd-b to cut = new fav! Thanks for the tip.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:45:53 am

I echo everyone's favs as pretty derned important. When I teach editors FCP X, I start the keyboard demo by telling them to keep their left hand near S and C.

Since I use a Wacom tablet, the arrow tends to float around a lot, ending up in places I'd care not to mention in public spaces such as the Creative Cow :P. And since having skimming turned on affects where FCP places an insert or overwrite edit, I'm constantly turning S on and off.

Michael Garber

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:12:11 am

My 2 cents...

I tell people to learn all the single key, non-modifier shortcuts first. There's usually a reason for mapping these functions to these keys.

I don't use all of these as much as others, but it's a good place to start.

Even the non-alphanumeric ones... I use []\ all the time, as well as the comma and period for trimming.

The only one I don't seem to ever use is G. I just tried to figure out what it does, and it's not something I'd be likely to use a whole lot.

I'd also like to put my votes in for lift from storyline CMD-OPT-UP, and drop to storyline CMD-OPT-DOWN. This fits with my practice of trying to keep as much in the primary as possible and only using a secondary storyline when I absolutely must.
SHF-Z for showing the entire timeline.
CMD keys to move around the windows.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:16:58 am

[Mark Morache] "The only one I don't seem to ever use is G. I just tried to figure out what it does, and it's not something I'd be likely to use a whole lot.
"

Good reminder.

G allows you to take a clip, and while holding g, "kiss" the edge of a connected clip and it creates a secondary storyline. Very easy and cool.

I am also a fan of non modified shortcuts. So much I've modified some shortcuts to be single key, b being my current personal favorite.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:29:23 am

G is pretty cool. I didn't know about that one. I had to move the precision tool closer to my left hand because I use it so much. I hate having to move my hand across the keyboard to get to a tool I use all the time. So I put it at SHIFT+A. Kind of like a secondary arrow tool. That way, I can have my right hand on my tablet, and easy access to position clips.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:04:49 pm

Gonna steal that one right now. I'm a fan of shift+ shortcuts. When I moved from Media100 to Avid years ago, I tried to map my Media100 shortcuts in some meaningful way. Most of the cmd+ shortcuts were taken and I didn't want to mess with them too much, but in Avid the shift+ shortcuts were pretty much empty. So instead of cmd+ I just used shift+, and it was an addition to the Avid set.

I find the single key stuff is too easy to press. I'm still pressing W to get wireframe mode and inadvertently editing stuff into my timeline. And didn't E use to be extend? Now it's editing stuff into the timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:20:00 pm

[Bret Williams] "And didn't E use to be extend?"

Yes. Now it's shift-x for shift-eXtend.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 7:15:21 pm

I've foud that most of the time option+[ or option+] has replace the extend feature for me in X. So add that shortcut if nobody has mentioned it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 11, 2013 at 7:19:10 pm

[Bret Williams] "I've foud that most of the time option+[ or option+] has replace the extend feature for me in X."

Say wha? That's ripple trim (top/tail).

;)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:14:02 pm

Yes. I'm usually using it when rough cutting dialog interview pieces. And since that generally consists of shortening soundbites from the original longer cuts, it works perfectly. You'll find extend does the exact same thing if you highlight one side of an edit for shortening. I guess i still would use extend for a lengthening or a double sided roll. And I'm still lazy a lot of the time and just roll or extend with the mouse. All depends on how slumped back I am in my chair and if I can easily reach the keyboard without putting down my coffee.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 11, 2013 at 10:58:53 pm

[Bret Williams] "When I moved from Media100 to Avid years ago, I tried to map my Media100 shortcuts in some meaningful way."

Same for me. I always filled up my shift shortcuts on the Avid so quickly because you couldn't (can't) map to the other modifier keys. 15 years later you can do practically every fx in real time, mix different formats and frame rates in the same sequence, but I STILL can't map anything to the OPTION keys.

Andy

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:43:10 am

Took me a second to figure out how to work the G key. That's awesome. Thanks. Second new fav!

Michael Garber

Return to posts index

Kyle Bass
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:08:58 pm

Thanks for the G key tip! Didn't know about that one either.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:06:19 am

[Mark Morache] "I tell people to learn all the single key, non-modifier shortcuts first. There's usually a reason for mapping these functions to these keys."

Thatnks very much, Mark!

Exactly what I was thinking. Mode changes (Q,W,E (and P!!!) etc are a very fundamental way to start to understand magnetism and connection in X.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:03:09 am

[Michael Garber] "When I teach editors FCP X, I start the keyboard demo by telling them to keep their left hand near S and C."

Home Row baby!

Mrs. Johnson, my high school typing teacher would be SO proud to hear that this is still a smart habit!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:21:08 pm

My left hand still resides on the cmd+s shortcut out of 20 years of using NLEs. Although all I get in X is that nasty "you're an idiot" noise now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]