FORUMS: list search recent posts

AU pitch shift woes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
AU pitch shift woes
on Jul 8, 2013 at 2:43:25 am

So I used the au pitch filter to marry 2 pieces of music together. One was not in the right key. Worked great. Days later I'm trying to output the video, but I get all kinds of digital noise on that piece of music. Gotta output. Very lame. I thought we left little junk like this behind with QT?

Any ideas? I've tried exporting different codecs, adding other audio stuff to mix in, but nothing works.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AU pitch shift woes
on Jul 8, 2013 at 4:43:42 am

Trash render files and peaks data.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:25:07 pm

Good ideas. But no luck. Renders fine in the app. But I assume it doesn't actually render, as there is no mixdown audio feature like in legacy. Only on export do I get the noise. It's like a digital buzzer. Just an error in the algorithm I suppose.

In soundtrack pro I applied the same filter and got the same result. Guess what worked best? I applied the same filter in FCP 7 and exported. Still got lots of cracks and pops but no buzzer. Took that result into soundtrack and cleaned up the pops. Works ok until I find a better solution.

Return to posts index

Kyle Bass
on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:31:55 am

Did you try a different pitch shifting plugin? Maybe Pitch Shifter II?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:13:31 pm

I tried that and compared to the AU pitch shift, it's a warbly murky mess. AU is so much better. Pitch shifter II was pretty unusable. At least in this case/song.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jul 9, 2013 at 1:54:32 pm

Could be that your source audio files have different sample rates… I've noticed (for a long time, actually) that unless you bring in audio files with matching specs, you'll occasionally get junk like that on output.

Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:15:34 pm

That's a good point. But since I tried it directly in soundtrack, that shouldn't have been an issue I'd think. But I got the same result. The music WAS 44.1 though, from Killer Tracks. I'll give it a whirl in X after changing it to 48 first.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:17:22 pm

As a side note, I've never been satisfied with Apple's pitch shifting - always sounds wobbly and makes me a little queasy.... I've been using Audacity for pitch / tempo shifting, which does a much nicer job of things.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Kyle Bass
on Jul 10, 2013 at 4:34:39 am

The pitch shifter in iZotope RX is excellent, if you don't mind spending a little.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 2:38:30 pm

What about Audition? I have it, but never used it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2013 at 2:49:13 pm

Just answered my own questions. Audition CC did a perfect job. No warbles, no pops. Bye bye soundtrack.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]