FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange Corruption Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
Strange Corruption Problem
on Jul 6, 2013 at 11:49:24 am

I drove myself batty with this yesterday. So I've determined I have a FCP X event that is oddly corrupted. It opens fine on my iMac. But I've tried opening it on two different MBPs. They both get stuck with a spinning beach ball when opening FCP X.

So what do I do now. I started duplicating the event on the iMac, but will this just copy over the corruption? Can I remove the database file and force FCP X to rebuild it (No compound clips to worry about losing)? Will I lose the links to my Projects? Puzzled.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Strange Corruption Problem
on Jul 6, 2013 at 1:56:27 pm

Where exactly do they get stuck?

"restoring window layout"?

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 6, 2013 at 5:48:13 pm

It launches FCPX and shows all the events and projects, but it starts spinning immediately after. There is no dialogue saying what it is currently doing. The fan on the laptop kicks in a few seconds after the wheel starts spinning. I haven't let it go for hours, because I didn't have the time. But it's odd that I can open it on the iMac without it spinning like that.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 6, 2013 at 6:13:25 pm

i'm not saying this is at all what's happening, just making a general comment.

It's really easy in X to take an action that requires X to do a huge amount of internal processing. That might be applying a filter to a predictive frame clip and causing X to have to calculate a zillion intermediate frames - or it might be something obscure and internal like a process making it necessary for X to do huge amounts of database "clean up."

Occasionally, tasks like these can cause the program to need a LOT of processing time to get things in order.

I sometimes think that because X is built to do so much processing in the background, it lulls users into thinking that EVERYTHING should take place lickety-split.

Remember. sometimes, the spinning beach ball which indicates that something is processing behind the scenes and the program can't proceed until it's done it's calculations - means precisely that.

Of course, other times things actually HAVE gotten hung up. The challenge is in understanding which mode you're facing.

All I'm suggesting is that if you CAN leave X alone for a significant period of time (even hours or overnight if you realize you've got odd sourced footage or are applying a filter over a LONG stretch of material) X will eventually get it's work done and calculate what needs to be calculated and issues will often resolve themselves.

What I've also discovered, is that as I've learned how to work the software consistently and properly over time, I find that I have diminished my "beach ball" periods down to near zero.

The bottom line is yes, things CAN get screwed up in X. And you might have to cut, run and re-build. But developing the habit that whenever you see a beach ball for more than 15 seconds, you immediately re-boot (out of impatience or frustration simply means you'll NEVER give the database in X the time it needs to do it's own internal housekeeping.

Just an observation, FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 6, 2013 at 6:34:04 pm

Definitely a situation to cut and run. Beach ball lasted too long for it to be a normal situation. I don't want to waste a ton of time on this as it is not super critical to retain the existing event. And if I need it, I can access it on my iMac. But what is the best way to rebuild? Make a new event? Can I relink existing projects to the new event? Or does the new event ID prevent that? I've never had to completely rebuild an event before so I'm not clear on how it would work.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 7, 2013 at 6:56:13 am

I'd just go down the tried and true step by step troubleshooting dance.

Start off by making a new Project with the same project settings - and copy and paste all your storyline clips into the new Project. If the project itself was somehow corrupt, that MIGHT help.

It also might help to do that in sections starting at the front of your storyline just in case some stuff works and later stuff doesn't. It's not an exact science.

I'd also export an XML of the existing timeline and see if you can create a new Project using that.

(If you know anything about XML you might also just load that in a text editor and see if something like a HUGE VISIBLE GAP shows up - something so odd that you can see obvious corruption.

Again, just doing the simple stuff to see if you can avoid having to hand build the whole thing over.

Oh, and at some point early in the process, I'd probably do a screen cap of the timeline index so I'd always have a visual reference of what I built and how.

Then if none of that worked, I'd start hand re-buuilding a new storyline from scratch using clips from the event browser.

I'd stop along the way and play and export things in sections and watch what happens - just in case there's a hidden corrupt clip or asset that causes everything to go wonky. If you uncover something like that, then at least you'll be able to ID what's causing the problem.

Tedious, but it's just the standard troubleshooting process of moving from easy stuff to harder stuff and hoping that you can solve it early in the process.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2013 at 11:29:37 pm

I have an Event like that. It takes forever on a MacPro, but opens quickly on a much slower MacBook Pro.

This Event is on shared storage, though, so it might be different from your situation.

Is there an OS difference between the machines?

Are you using any plugins or Motion templates on one machine but not the others?

Are the Events and Projects on an external drive?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2013 at 6:01:05 pm

Maybe a permissions issue?

http://www.larryjordan.biz/trouble-shooting-your-fcp-system/

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 10, 2013 at 12:58:20 am

I think it was a missing Motion Template. The file was there, it just wasn't in the "official" Motion Templates folder. If you don't have FCP X itself make the Motion Templates folder, it won't work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]