FORUMS: list search recent posts

Happy Wednesday, here's an audio editing tip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garber
Happy Wednesday, here's an audio editing tip
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:53:03 pm

Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies, if you're here, please stand up!),

I've been cutting lots of dialogue-driven stuff the past week with multi-channel audio. In needing to work quickly, I made some key command adjustments and wanted to share the luv.

It's simple - I was constantly having to expand and collapse audio in clips. And since there was so much multichannel stuff, it was making the timeline difficult to manage.

So, I set up two keyboard shortcuts:

Collapse All - ctrl-cmd-S
Expand All - shift-cmd-opt-S

FCP also has the option to expand for splits. But I found that this wasn't as helpful, since I'd usually want to expand two clips to start L or J cutting. Since there was no performance hit in expanding all, it was easy to do that and quickly collapse all to get more screen real-estate on the timeline back.

Last, editing audio components was not too difficult, but since I had lots of clips with different configurations, I couldn't really use the inspector to batch turn on and off clips. So, a lot of manual lifting there. Not too difficult, but worth noting.

That said, expanding audio components keystroke ctrl-opt-S became a very close friend of my left thumb and pinky. What is nice is that Collapse all works with expanded clip components, too. I did find some performance hits when I selected all and expanded audio components for all the clips. So usually tried to keep that to just what I was working on.

In non-audio related tip-news, I recommend setting up opt-T as Open in Timeline. I use this a lot, especially helpful for dealing with multiclips in both the timeline and in the event.

After a day or so of using this method, editing audio became a lot quicker.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Matias Canelson
Re: Happy Wednesday, here's an audio editing tip
on Jul 3, 2013 at 8:19:21 pm

I have:

F5: Expand/Collaps Audio Components.
F6: Expand all Audio/Video Clips.
F7: Expand Audio/Video for Splits.
F8: Collapse all Clips.

:P

--
MatiasCanelson
http://www.canelson.com.ar

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jul 3, 2013 at 8:56:50 pm

nice! for some reason, my brain stops working because of the the play and volume buttons up there, now. my f keys are underutilized in X but an area of my keyboard i should look back into ;)!

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 4, 2013 at 3:01:34 am

I don't like to use function keys either. Your hand has to leave the cmd key (where my thumb lives) and I like to use them for Apple functions.

I have...
Expand all - shift E
Collapse all - shift cmd E

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Jul 4, 2013 at 6:05:13 am

Yep... I've got shortcuts too. I set option C to collapse all the audio, Shift-option-C to expand all, and add the command-shift-option-c to expand just the splits. Shift E seems cleaner, although I collapse all much more than I expand all.

I've discovered that you can rename the audio tracks in the audio properties window, and when you expand the components. This makes it easier to balance the audio tracks in the timeline.

One big wish in a future build would be a way to select a number of clips, and have fcpx automatically expand the audio by a pre-defined amount, and apply a fade of a pre-defined amount, so I could easily cross dissolve all the audio, without doing gymnastics.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]