FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio not playing outside of FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Swanson
Audio not playing outside of FCPX
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:48:00 pm

Details: Imported Original Media only into FCPX (Canon 5D Mark III footage).

The audio is there and plays fine inside FCPX... however if I reveal the footage in finder and either preview the footage or open in quicktime, no audio plays. When I do get info in quicktime it shows that there are 2 audio channels.

When I imported I had everything unchecked except copy to event folder.

Any idea why this is happening?

I'm trying to sync some footage and this issue seems to be preventing me.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Audio not playing outside of FCPX
on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:56:01 pm

It may be the combination of H.264 video and PCM audio whereas H.264 AAC is commonly found when compressing. Check in Quicktime Window/Show Media Inspector and look at Format:
You may want to play the files in VLC instead of Quicktime which may handle the combination if that's the case.

If you're in FCPX why would syncing be an issue? It seems to be handling the files unlike Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Ian Swanson
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:58:22 pm

The syncing in FCPX doesn't work at all... I've tried in FCPX and in Pluraleyes 3... it was in Pluraleyes 3 that I discovered the audio issue. In that program is shows no audio, hence no sync.

Whenever I try to sync in FCPX it doesn't work at all. However if I convert to transcoded media and then do pluraleyes on that footage it works... so I don't think its an audio quality issue.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:16:47 pm

Have you tried optimizing the footage to ProRes, then synch it to the external audio in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 5, 2013 at 2:28:41 am

This is a known issue - hopefully will be resolved.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Bret Dave
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:26:06 pm

I'm having the exact same issue since I upgraded to FCPX 10.0.9.
I looked back in my 10.0.8 events and all of the Original Media video files have audio that plays in Finder/Quicklook/Quicktime.

I thought I could solve the issue by rolling back to FCPX 10.0.8 via TimeMachine.
I successfully reverted FCPX to 10.0.8 but I am still having the same issue with no audio on imported video clips outside of FCPX (i.e. playing the videos from the Original Media folder within the FCPX created Event folder)

I thought it might be a preferences issue, so I followed Larry Jordan's advice and trashed the pref files from the Library. Restarted FCPX and still experiencing the same issue.

I find it odd that all of my previous projects and events don't display this problem.
The most frustrating part is that I just bought PluralEyes 3 to sync a large project when this bug showed it's ugly face.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. Love all the work you do on MacBreak studio!

Return to posts index

Bret Dave
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:31:47 am

Has anyone figured out a solution or work-around for this blank audio issues yet? I've found more people with the same symptoms on the Pluraleyes forums but no one offering any advice. If anyone has made progress on this I'd love to hear an update.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Return to posts index

Skabrix Town
on Aug 27, 2013 at 3:31:28 pm

I had the same issue, I "proressed" the files from the canon 5d mark III in MPEG streamclip, imported them in FCPX, export an XML for pluraleyes.... it worked!

Return to posts index

Bret Dave
on Aug 29, 2013 at 8:32:47 pm

I've been doing some more research on this issue & I need some input from the community.

I'm running FCPX 10.0.9 on a rMBP 15" with OSX 10.8.4 and PluralEyes 3.2.2 and shooting IPB on my Canon DSLRs

It appears that this symptom (audio not playing outside of FCPX) only occurs to Canon DSLR footage imported into FCPX. I am currently working on a 3 camera MultiCam project with a Canon 60D, Canon 6D & Sony Camcorder (AVCHD).
The 'Original Media' from both the Canon DSLRs does not playback with audio outside of FCPX. While the Sony 'Original Media' plays back just fine. The Sony AVCHD 'original media' also imports into Pluraleyes just fine and PE3 can see the audio.

Based on Skabrix's advice I then Transcoded the Canon footage to ProRes within FCPX which in turn created the 'Transcoded Media > High Quality Media' folder with the converted mov files.
I checked these transcoded .mov files in preview and quicktime and both playback the audio just fine.

Hoping that Pluraleyes 3 will now work, I created a new FCPX project using (or so I thought) this transcoded 'High quality media' instead of the 'original media' from the Canons. However, when I import the xml file into Pluraleyes 3 it still does not see the audio waveforms on the Canon video files.

Any ideas on how to force Pluraleyes 3 to use the Transcoded High Quality Media over the original media files?

Return to posts index

Alex Pasquini
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:11:29 pm

I've just ran into this problem, albeit with different results, over the last couple of days so decided to create an account to respond...

Shooting with canon 5dmk3 onto CF. I imported two cards worth of footage through fcpx and all is fine. The audio in the finder plays fine and the audio within fcpx plays fine. However on importing my final third card, just after the import was complete and fpcx was creating the audio waveforms etc it became unresponsive and so I force quit the application, before the all clear green '100%' but after the crucial video import stage was complete.

On opening back up, I see that my card has been imported successfully and all the waveforms are there. I sync all 3 cards worth of footage up to each ones respective audio file using the built in synchronization tool within fcpx. All good. However if I Reveal in Finder on any of that footage from that one card that crashed, the audio will not play outside of fcpx, not in QT, Streamclip or VLC. With all the other cards that imported correctly and created the waveforms etc on import there are no problems. Which leads me to believe at least in my case the problem arose at the stage just after the video import but just before the green 100% success notification.

Not exactly a solution I know but interesting!

In answer to your question about plural eyes using the High Quality folder... I don't have PE however to make a suggestion I'd say try copying all that HQ media to a new folder or a new drive, then re-import into fcpx ideally into a new event that has no previous connection to the footage. Starting again, but at least with no problems.

As for me, the Sync to the External audio went fine so I have no need for original on-camera audio to play outside of fcpx, annoying though the problem is. I do still have the original card, although creating a HQ version of the file seems like the easiest way to go if I need that facility.

cheers
alex

Return to posts index

Bret Dave
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:12:39 am

Alex,
Thanks for taking the time to add to the discussion of this issue. I know it has been very frustrating to me personally.
Do you have any ideas why FCPX froze/locked up on you during import?

I have been noticing more often that FCPX has been choking during import for me. I will select a few clips and hit import only to have FCPX sit there like nothing is happening. The % progress indicator stayed pegged at zero, then a few minutes later it throws up an error message saying it was unable to import a selected clip and gives the clip's name.
However, when I look in my even library the clip is in fact there, and it looks exactly like the clip on the original memory card. Not sure what is causing this (could be Magic Lantern on my 60D, but not sure yet) and I never looked for a correlation between this and the no audio issue.

Seems like I have more digging to do.

Thanks again Alex.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]