FORUMS: list search recent posts

1min film cut in FCPX for Vimeo viewing, please advise best compression options/techniques?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
1min film cut in FCPX for Vimeo viewing, please advise best compression options/techniques?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:16:06 pm

Hi, I read this forum every day and know the wealth of knowledge that lies within, so that's why I'm asking here...

The film: 1080p, 30fps, leisurely shots of Maine lakes from above and below... So, I watch these full screen movies on Vimeo that look super-sharp almost as detailed as a master file, and others that look soft and kind of crappy...

Is there a tutorial or step-by-step "recipe" for using Compressor 4 to encode this kind of movie to look the best it can taking size/streaming issues into consideration? Much appreciated...

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: 1min film cut in FCPX for Vimeo viewing, please advise best compression options/techniques?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:32:21 pm

Just use the default Vimeo upload destination in FCPX and in the popup dialogue set it to 1080p. Just did a 30 minute wedding and it rocked.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: 1min film cut in FCPX for Vimeo viewing, please advise best compression options/techniques?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:46:54 pm

Oh and, once uploaded you'll want to upgrade the video to 1080p. You do this in vimeo under 'settings' / 'video file' and then check the box for 1080p.

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:05:33 am

John, Thanks for encouraging me to try the easy and the obvious. Did just what you said and it looks very good viewed full-screen on Vimeo.

And someday, if my eyesight improves, I may be able to tell who the heck that is in your profile pic... :-)

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:15:25 am

Hah! That's me happily holding an iPad mini the day it came out. I put a picture of myself looking back at me as if I were crazy on it.

It's kind of a sarcastic circle of life. Or something. I dunno. I just made me laugh!

Return to posts index

Tulio Campregher
on Jul 4, 2013 at 2:04:00 pm

I always do it myself using QuickTime 7 Pro.
1_ Export the ProRes from FCPX Keep it as my Edit Master.
For short clips I use 1080p Photo-JPEG at 75% quality
Sound 16bit 48Khz uncompressed.

For long ones 1080p h.264 at 25Mbps best quality settings ( two pass ).

It works great.

Tulio Campregher
Media Technology Coordinator
Greenpeace International

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]