FORUMS: list search recent posts

Group external audio to secondary storyline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon smitherton
Group external audio to secondary storyline
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:45:06 am

Hi

Is there a way to group sync audio to a secondary storyline without compounding? Kind of like like fcp7 did with link clips - command L?

Cheers,
Jon.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Group external audio to secondary storyline
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:53:56 am

Sorry to disappoint you but no, AFAIK that is not possible.

As CCs work now, I would welcome being able to attach clips to secondary storylines without having to create CC's. This would not defeat the basic notion of having one Primary Storyline to which everything else is attached, as each secondary is attached to the Primary anyway. But it would definitely be better than having to create CC's.

CC's are always collapsed on the timeline, like nests in FCP. So on your main timeline you have no visual information about what's in them unless you open them in their own timeline. And when you do this, e.g. to modify an element inside, your playhead never stays on the spot where it was on the main timeline and you have to go looking for that spot. Nor do you keep any visual reference to your edit on the main timeline when you need to modify something in a CC. Major bummer.

But if we could choose to uncollapse CCs on the main timeline and work in them, just like we can do with audio components now (which I love), that would certainly make CCs more fun to use. If for some reason this is not possible I think they need to find a better way to group elements on the main timeline, aside from having to create CC's. I do think this will change.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:59:48 am

You can't group like in 7. What you can do is sync your audio to the video files, as long as it has audio to match. Highlight both files you need, ctrl+click, synchronize clips. X creates a new file with the master sound and the camera sound from the video, then you can turn on the tracks you need in the inspector or expand your audio components in the timeline. In this case I would leave the audio connected.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:27:46 pm

[Nikolas Bäurle] "Highlight both files you need, ctrl+click, synchronize clips. X creates a new file with the master sound and the camera sound from the video, then you can turn on the tracks you need in the inspector or expand your audio components in the timeline. In this case I would leave the audio connected."

Multicam would be the best solution of course for multiple audio and video sources, but are there specific examples of when you might want to sync more than one audio track to a single video file? I can't think of any off the top of my head and if there are some good instances, how well does it work? Is the audio sync basically best for a one video / one extra audio circumstance (maybe a finished music video edit and then add in the pristine studio track) and everything else go to multicam?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:23:26 pm

The audio sync is best for one video / one extra audio like in in feature films or in case you have interviews with separate sound if you only have one camera, which in my experience is rarely the case since for TV the sound is usually connected directly to the camera. For music videos it doesn't really make much sense, when editing you should have the studio quality track anyway, at least thats how I've always done it. For a performance music video multicam is the way to go. Have each camera record sound , then sync it to the studio track with Multicam. The only problem you could encounter with music videos is when the shooting in large halls you do get some drifting out of sync issues depending on where the sound source is in relation to the camera and the performance, that would need to be adjusted manually in the multiclip itself.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jul 3, 2013 at 12:34:34 am

Thanks guys.

I'm working with DSLR footage that has been synced to external audio. The camera was buttoned off but the sync audio keeps running - so there's a long timeline of audio with clips synced where they buttoned on again. They were then made into compound clips according to the audio takes.

Sounds straight forward. Only the producer has logged to the original file name (out in field), so I have to de-nest the compound clips to see what the name is.

So, I place in timeline, de-nest, overwrite video to primary storyline, chop away and find it cumbersome to move/select the audio all the time when placing B-roll.

Found a workaround, I simply make compound clip again and make sure I de-nest before I give it to another editor - we're working on 3 machines so don't want be copying compound clips on a daily basis.

Would be so much easier if I could simply link the audio to clips on the secondary timeline.

Cheers,
Jon.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jul 3, 2013 at 1:15:41 am

Using CCs for syncing is really too much of a workaround for something that X makes very easy.

The method you are using works, but syncing audio as it is supposed to be done in X is much faster, and you won't have the hassle of having to de-nest everything all the time.

Since X doesn't use a timeline like in 7, you don't have the ability to link like in 7. But since the sound in the secondary is connected to the video in the primary, whenever you move a clip in the primary everything connected to it moves along. So you kind of have half a 7 link, you just need to be careful moving the audio in the secondary since that will change the position it has.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:05:28 am

Everything is synced before putting in nests. Autosync didn't work that great.

[Nikolas Bäurle] "But since the sound in the secondary is connected to the video in the primary, whenever you move a clip in the primary everything connected to it moves along. So you kind of have half a 7 link, you just need to be careful moving the audio in the secondary since that will change the position it has."

Yes, that's what I'm trying to avoid, hence the need for linking external audio to secondary storyline video.

Jon

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:38:29 am

No, no linking. I would not de-nest your CCs, its best for sync audio to stay connected (blue). you can double click them to expand the audio or expand the audio components for more precision so you don't need to de-nest or detach the audio (green). You simply need to rename your compounds so you don't have to keep de-nesting.

It just crossed my mind that when X autosyncs it creates compounds anyway. Since I haven't used it very often and am still at my Avid job right now I'm not thinking straight. I'll check that in a minute.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:34:55 am

Correcting my last answer: X creates a clip when auto syncing not a compound, sorry, tired

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jul 3, 2013 at 10:13:43 pm

[Nikolas Bäurle] "You simply need to rename your compounds so you don't have to keep de-nesting."

We have 68 shoot days in this doco, with say 10 sync timelines and and under 20 shots on each sync timeline. Bit too laborious, given our deadline. The nest and de-nest works as a workaround.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]