FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moved Events and Project to external drive Now how can I restore my Projects?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dwight Spitz
Moved Events and Project to external drive Now how can I restore my Projects?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 6:51:30 pm

Hi There,

Unlike most, I actually like FCPX though it can become unwieldy if you let it, quickly.
My situation is this, one of my New Projects, inside the same Event that I'd been using for a couple months, after constantly losing on my local drive to FCPX storage monster consumption, I moved EVERYTHING onto an external lock stock. However, I neglected to make an XML file and now I have everything, and I mean everything all the folders that get normally created, except I can't just click on CurrentVersion in each individual Project folder and have the timelines load. Is there anyway to restore these timelines? Would Event Manager X know how to restore these timelines and is the metadata To Restore Said Timelines, essentially the only method and is it best practice from here on out to Export the XML after every new iteration of whatever project?

Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Moved Events and Project to external drive Now how can I restore my Projects?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 7:24:04 pm

Did you place the moved files into folders at the root of the new drive named "Final Cut Projects" and "Final Cut Events" as you moved then from your "Movies" folder? I've moved projects between drives and all was well - as long as I adhered to the expected naming convention.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Moved Events and Project to external drive Now how can I restore my Projects?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 11:17:49 pm

Moving projects and events is very easy within X. You can copy an event from one drive to the next by simply dragging the event icon to the drive. X asks you for a new name, after its done delete the old event. When duplicating projects you get the option of consolidating your footage by creating new events with the footage you used.

Personally I like moving things manually most of the time. As Tim pointed out, as long as you adhere to the folder structure X needs you shouldn't have any problems, and don't take any files out of the event or project folders

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Richard Altman
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:34:29 am

Thanks for the responses, I shall try to interpret and attempt your suggestions, thank you.

Gentlemen. Renaming the Folder and placing it on the root, ...;]

WORKED COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY. And that is why Apple's Apple. Too intuitive. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:20:08 pm

Great news!

Now Nikolas and I are in the credit roll for your next blockbuster, right :)?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]