FORUMS: list search recent posts

tv monitoring in fcpx thru hdmi

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
tv monitoring in fcpx thru hdmi
on Jun 30, 2013 at 10:46:04 am

how does this work. are certain kinds of TV's better for this. certain kinds of HDMI cables?

also just generally as editors, how big a screen do you feel like you need to watch a narrative work on to judge pacing?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: tv monitoring in fcpx thru hdmi
on Jun 30, 2013 at 7:45:14 pm

To the first question, NO. Using a TV to monitor video is a generally bad idea. You should use a video monitor if at all possible NOT a TV. 99% of TVs are designed with the goal of looking great in someone's living room. They are NOT designed with the goal of accurately reproducing a custom-created video signal.

As to Cables - the difference in the price of two passive signal distribution cables MAY result in differences in things like precision machining of connectors or cable durability - but virtually NEVER will there ever be an actual measurable difference in the actual functioning of the cable to properly pass a signal between two devices. Period.

As to screen size, let me ask you a question. When you watch a good movie on an iPad or iPhone, do you have any problem getting immersed in it's pacing? It might be "nice" to have a monitoring setup where you can have your field of vision filled by your primary monitoring screen - but its not required. I can edit on a 15" laptop just as easily as on my 32" cinema display. And if I was in a situation where I needed to edit for pacing on my iPad, I'm confident that I could do it there as well.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:07:24 pm

Whilst I agree on the whole with Bill, its worth looking at some of the modern TV's.

I have a Panasonic 32" LED TV and its got a wide range of control's including Gamma, R G and B Hue and cutoff. Plus you can turn off all the tricky.

I've got mine pretty well set up using various test pattens. It's not perfect but not bad for a domestic TV.

Just remember alot can't do proper 1080P over HDMI. I have to keep remember to switch my T Tap and Ultrastudio over to PsF.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:43:03 pm

I'm cutting my nephews wedding on an iMac with a Black Magic Mini monitor via Thunderbolt on a 1080p 19" Samsung we got from Wal-Mart for about $150. I don't think it looks as good as a bigger TV, but for our small home office it's easy. When we shoot, the monitor is awesome for helping get accurate focus when we need it and it's super portable.

Thats the $300 answer you're looking for. :)

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]