FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut X and events question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Moose
Final Cut X and events question
on Jun 29, 2013 at 11:40:14 am

Hello

I make youtube videos and I have always used the same event to store all my clips and I use separate projects when I edit the videos. I have over 3,000 clips in my youtube event. Just recently someone told me that is a bad idea and that Final Cut X will run better if I break up my events. Does anyone know if there is really a huge difference? Also I can't even figure out why you would need to break up events if you have separate projects. For example I have 200 skits and I don't see the point in having each skit as an event. Maybe i'm over thinking this?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Final Cut X and events question
on Jun 29, 2013 at 12:14:56 pm

Is there a reason you need all the media for the other projects loaded up in ram/cache when you're editing another video? The more you have loaded in the event, the more potential for slowdown. If they're in separate events, they can be taken offline manually or with event x.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 29, 2013 at 3:06:11 pm

On the other hand, the more Events you have open at once, the more fcpx autosaves all of those events causing slow downs.

In my opinion, less events are better. 200 Events is like having 200 fcp7 projects open at once with a constant autosave. It's not going to end well.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 29, 2013 at 7:11:16 pm

What is a recommended ballpark maximum size for an event?

About the latency created by large autosaves/loads: does X really re-save everything or just the last things changed since the last save?

And/or what is a recommended organization habit?

I keep my projects on my media drive>project sparse images>folders and load them as needed, but I tend to import new files into the same event if it is for the same project.

However I recently began using a different event for the same project if I'm importing different types of media or shot from a different source or date or whatever. This helps because i do not have a dedicated browser monitor and the event folders were getting too cluttered. However X does give you the ability to filter any given list of files which is sort of an alternative way to organize over creating different events.

In a narrative, for example, would it be a good idea to have each scene (same time and location) be a different event or just a different key word?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2013 at 1:31:11 am

[Craig Alan] "What is a recommended ballpark maximum size for an event? "

I don't know.

[Craig Alan] "About the latency created by large autosaves/loads: does X really re-save everything or just the last things changed since the last save?"

If something changes in the Event, then it is saved, but if nothing changes, the entire Event is backed up every 15 minutes.

[Craig Alan] "In a narrative, for example, would it be a good idea to have each scene (same time and location) be a different event or just a different key word?"

Everyone works differently, but I personally, wouldn't work this way. I think it gets in the way of FCPX's organizational strengths. You can, however, select multiple Events and search that way. I see it as unnecessary. Perhaps multiple Events for the same project is beneficial to some people, though.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 29, 2013 at 9:49:16 pm

My point is to have an event per project, and ONLY have the events mounted that are needed.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jun 30, 2013 at 6:04:18 pm

If I have for example a documentary and then in the future I'm working on another documentary would I make a new event for the new documentary or add the new documentary to the same event as my old documentary?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:27:32 pm

[Bryce Douglass] "If I have for example a documentary and then in the future I'm working on another documentary would I make a new event for the new documentary or add the new documentary to the same event as my old documentary?"

Why not both?

If you need footage from the Old Doc in the New Doc, you can dupe your Old Doc's Event and import New Doc's Footage.

If the New Doc is all new footage, then just start a new Event with that footage.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 7, 2013 at 6:14:11 am

Okay thanks. Is there a way to take my event folder I have now and break them up individually since I obviously have it incorrect?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2013 at 4:19:02 pm

[Bryce Douglass] "Okay thanks. Is there a way to take my event folder I have now and break them up individually since I obviously have it incorrect?"

There's nothing here that's incorrect, there are simply different ways of working.

Are you asking how to separate the two documentaries in two separate Events?

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 7, 2013 at 6:16:09 pm

yes, how do I separate my events into multiple events? Once I do so can I delete the files from the event i'm not longer using?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2013 at 6:34:33 pm

There's a few ways, but perhaps the easiest is to make a new Event.

Drag clips from the orig event to the new event in the fcpx browser.

Single click the new event and choose File > Organize Event. Hit OK. This will bring hard copies of the media in to the Event if you want. If you'd rather reference the media, this step isn't necessary.

Delete clips from orig event by selecting, right clicking and choose move to trash. Be careful with this step as you will be deleting information out of your orig event.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 7, 2013 at 6:51:19 pm

okay thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]