FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X to After Effects via XML?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Tyrrell
FCP X to After Effects via XML?
on Jun 28, 2013 at 9:50:54 am

I'm sure this has been discussed before and believe me I have tried to search -

I need to move a project to after effects for grading and on FCP7 I could do this by importing the XMP but since using the new(ish) FCPX this doesn't seem possible as After Effects cant open the FCPXML that FCPX exports?

I'm getting more inclined to start using Premiere from now on, seriously FCP is becoming a joke.

Be grateful if anyone can help out

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCP X to After Effects via XML?
on Jun 28, 2013 at 10:52:27 am

Look for an app called clip exporter. It doesn't seem as advanced as Automatcc Duck, but it will get your edit to AE.

Or you could switch to the free, industry standard, DaVinci resolve and round trip your project without a 3rd party app. And it's a much better choice for grading than AE.

Return to posts index

Luke Tyrrell
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:50:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to look into DaVinci actually, I've heard good things about it so might be work checking out

clipexporter seems like it might be the answer tho, thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:38:28 pm

You could also try exporting an XML out of FCP X and importing it into FCP 7 using Xto7 and then export your XML from 7 into after effects. Not free if you don't already own Xto7 but it works fairly well.

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:59:15 pm

Another vote for Xto7. In use it a lot to go to Ae.

It works well.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:45:07 pm

[Luke Tyrrell] "I'm getting more inclined to start using Premiere from now on, seriously FCP is becoming a joke."

This is another example of someone getting pissed at the wrong program. FCPX uses a different paradigm which necessitated the creation of a different XML protocol so that those differences could be translated into other programs. If you insist on using AE for color grading, then it's AE that needs to support the FCPXML not the other way around.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 28, 2013 at 8:40:12 pm

[Andy Neil] " FCPX uses a different paradigm which necessitated the creation of a different XML protocol so that those differences could be translated into other programs. If you insist on using AE for color grading, then it's AE that needs to support the FCPXML not the other way around."

This.

Open message to those who doe NOT use FCP-X and keep trying to make it just another version of every other NLE you've ever used...

It's not.

It does a whole lot of the same things that every other NLE does - but it often does those things in ways that are fundamentally unlike the ways that other NLEs do them.

So if you want all the tremendous advantages of editing in X (speed, database availability, high precision math, new useful editing tools like timeline magnetism that can make certain editing tasks orders of magnitude easier, robust web sharing, etc, etc, etc, - then you have to give up some things in exchange.

One of those things is a 12 year constructed eco system where every OTHER program in the world which at one point did NOT work with the old software has had plenty of time to fix that situation and develop robust workflows.

I firmly believe that that time will come for X. But because it is so different - that won't happen any faster for FCP-X than it did for FCP legacy - which took (in my personal experience) at LEAST three to five years to develop into a tool that was trusted to interconnect into the wider production world by professional users.

X is well ahead of that pace right now, IMO.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 28, 2013 at 9:44:12 pm

I'm always amazed & amused that people see the fact that Adobe, or whatever third party developer you care to name, chooses not to support FCPX as a failing in X. FCPX is ahead of the curve and I'm sure it's no easy task getting from it to apps based on thinking from the last century - but i have faith that eventually the rest of the world will catch up.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 29, 2013 at 4:18:42 am

Well adobe didn't support import of FCP legacy until X came out, and soon after they bought automatic duck and built it into the next version of AE. 5.5 or maybe 6. I still see people using automatic duck to import legacy XML. They don't realize it's built into AE now.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 28, 2013 at 9:49:49 pm

[Andy Neil] " FCPX uses a different paradigm which necessitated the creation of a different XML protocol so that those differences could be translated into other programs. If you insist on using AE for color grading, then it's AE that needs to support the FCPXML not the other way around."

This.

While X does a whole lot of the same things that every other NLE does - it often does those things in ways that are fundamentally unlike the ways that other NLEs do them.

So if you want all the tremendous advantages of editing in X (speed, database availability, high precision math processing of digital streams, new useful editing tools like timeline magnetism that can make certain editing tasks orders of magnitude easier, robust web sharing, etc, etc, etc, - then you'll have to give up some of the things you've become used to having in other NLE systems as well.

One of those things is the eco-systems and workflows, often developed over many years which their users now enjoy.

I firmly believe that these same capabilities will develop for X as it becomes ever more popular.

And I'm also convinced that it WILL become ever more popular, based on how well I think it meets the overall needs of the largest and most diverse groups of modern video editors.

But because X's processes and approaches are different enough from what has come before it - that won't happen any faster for FCP-X than it did for FCP legacy - which took (in my personal experience) at LEAST three to five years to develop into a tool that was trusted to interconnect into the wider production world by professional users.

X is well ahead of that pace right now, IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tal Rom
on Jul 8, 2013 at 6:19:52 am

You can use the FREE ClipExporter
http://clipexporter.mindtransplant.com/
It make a JavaScript and media files or links
And you just open the script and get new AE project

Tal Rom

PrePost
Production & Post Workflow Solution

Israel