FORUMS: list search recent posts

Soooo many export errors.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garber
Soooo many export errors.
on Jun 27, 2013 at 4:04:48 am

I'm working in a 40 minute multicam timeline. 4x3, interlaced. DV codec. Old school. Lovin' it.

What I'm not loving is FCP X crashing quite often when I try to burn a DVD. Also, it's getting crashy when I render or play over some blur dissolves. The blur dissolve-clips on the primary have basic titles connected to them with their own horizontal blur dissolve over the cut points. It seems like the titles may be one cause of the problem.

I have a couple of clips with SliceX on them. I'm pretty much aware that there are, in general, issues with plugins.

I've tried trashing my render files. I've placed the fcpproject file in a new folder. Haven't done an fcpxml export/reimport, yet.

Other issue I'm finding with SliceX and/or Lock & Load is that the render files go offline when you restart FCP X. Anyone else noticed this?

Just wondering if anyone out there has had this issue and if you've found any fixes/workarounds/solutions? Overall, I'd say that FCP X is acting "wonky." ;-)

Thanks!

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Soooo many export errors.
on Jun 27, 2013 at 2:54:09 pm

I discovered something interesting a couple of weeks back. I was working in a standard prores timeline and I noticed I had to rerender everytime I started FCPX. I trashed my render files thinking there was just a bad render in there, but it didn't help. I was under a deadline so I slogged through. But then, when I tried to export, I kept getting an export error. No matter how I tried, I couldn't export my project.

I deleted preferences, trashed renders, everything that you've probably done, and was on the verge of reinstalling the program when my wife convinced me to try Disk Warrior. So I used it on my system disk on the off chance that something else was making FCPX wonky.

Disk Warrior fixed about 30-50 things on my system disk and when I looked at the details, I noticed that virtually ALL of the corruption was centered around the video codecs. Once it repaired those issues, FCPX worked fine.

Long story short, if you have something like Disk Warrior, try repairing your startup volume (where FCPX is located) before doing anything drastic like reinstalling. In my case, which I realize isn't quite the same as yours, a reinstall probably wouldn't have worked.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jun 27, 2013 at 3:07:56 pm

Thanks, Andy. Your one lucky guy to have a wife that can diagnose your system issues. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I will try that as soon as I can.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jun 27, 2013 at 6:42:32 pm

[Andy Neil] "Disk Warrior fixed about 30-50 things on my system disk and when I looked at the details, I noticed that virtually ALL of the corruption was centered around the video codecs. Once it repaired those issues, FCPX worked fine."

Andy,

(I may not have time today, but I will respond to your post about the eSata issues too from the other thread.)

A year later, after numerous problems fixed by Disk Warrior (DW) on 3 different computers, I now believe that Disk Warrior should be included with every Mac and used like Disk Utility and permission repair. In a post here and also offline, I ranted, mostly with Jeremy G about how I believed that FCP X "hosed" my OWC external capture/media RAID drive twice in about 8 months. This drive was only used for FCP X video and I never had any issues when it was the FCP7 drive.

I won't go into all the details, but the drive became unusable and I spoke with Apple and OWC who had no solutions except to wipe the RAID clean and start over. That worked for a while, but what a pain and then the problem popped up again. I took the suggestion from someone to give DW a try. It took the RAID which again had become unusable, and fixed it. I then ran DW on all my computers and drives and it not only made my wife's MBP boot up in half the time, but I completely resurrected an old Dual G5 which I had given up on after countless hours of swapping RAM, resetting PRAM, etc., because it "appeared" to be a hardware problem (it was one of the liquid-cooled one which had blown up once under warranty, but fixed by Apple.) No problems with that computer now. My sons use it primarily for Logic 9. I also now run DW on all my drives once every month or two.

I've been lucky. I've had very few problems with FCP X, aside from the directory corruption, and the eSata mess. In the last 25 years, I've been the victim too many times of upgrades which broke more things than they fixed, so I remain happily on OS 10.6.8 and FCP X 10.0.4 because everything works to my satisfaction. I have OS 10.8.3 with FCPX 10.0.8 on a partition, but absolutely no reason to use it.

Anyway, in terms of 3rd party utility software, Disk Warrior is about as good as it gets (Data Rescue 3 just saved by butt from an accidental Carbon Copy Cloner incident, but that's another story). By the way, the phone support for Disk Warrior is excellent. When I had problems, I got escalated to a senior engineer who was extremely helpful and informative and told me things about eSata which helped and made a lot of sense (I'll expand on this in the other thread later).

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 27, 2013 at 11:57:00 pm

I love, love, love CoreMelt Lock & Load and Slice X. But frankly I've had identical problems as you have had when I them more that on a handful of clips on a project.

Try disabling the FXPlugins themselves (/library/Plug-Ins/FXPlug) and see if you can export.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]