FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't deselect "copy to events folder" when importing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Robinson
Can't deselect "copy to events folder" when importing
on Jun 26, 2013 at 2:52:36 pm

Hey all, first off, I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm brand new to FCP X and I wouldn't even know the right phrase to search for to get this answer.

I've been editing on 7 for years and have to edit a new project in X. I'm trying to turn off the option that copies imported files into the events folder, thus creating duplicate files. I've gone into the preferences and turned the option off, but everytime I go to import media, the option is still selected and grayed out so that I can't disable it. I've restarted the program after making the change and that didn't fix it.

My workflow may be way off since I am so new to this program. I'm importing media from the same external hard drive that the events and project folders are stored on - hence why I don't want duplicate files on one hard drive.

Is this some sort of bug or am I missing something? ANY help is appreciated. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Can't deselect "copy to events folder" when importing
on Jun 26, 2013 at 4:29:15 pm

As you are fairly new to this, first let's check this:

Open the Media Import window (CMD+I), select one or more files to import and press the Import Selected button. A drop-down window will appear. Is the "Copy files to FCP Events folder" option checked in this window? If so, can you un-check it or is it greyed out?

If this option is greyed out:

Are you trying to import from a Camera Archive or a camera card folder on this drive?

Return to posts index

Matt Robinson
on Jun 26, 2013 at 5:53:05 pm

Ah! You helped me figure it out. The DP dragged the contents of the memory card to the drive so it was reading it as if it were the actual card. Moved the files out of that directory and its working great! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:33:23 pm

You are very welcome, glad you have figured it out.

Return to posts index

Oscar Piña
on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:40:46 pm

Hello. I've been figuring out how to solve this problem too. The reading of this post gives me some light. The reason why FCPX assumes a SD card as a camera is the AVCHD file archive structure created by the camera in the card (in my case shooting in the AVCHD format).

When you insert a card in your computer SD slot, it appears as PRIVATE preceded by the QuickTime icon. If you just rename it, you'll notice that it changes as a folder. Then when you open FCPX, and click the import option the card will appear as a device and not as a camera. So you could now deselect "copy to events folder". The only thing is that you have to click "import all" in order to have the copy to events folder available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]