FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems in importing from tapes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ugo Danesi
Problems in importing from tapes
on Jun 25, 2013 at 1:29:58 pm

Dear all,
I have a big problem tha is making me crazy in importing footages from tape.
I am using a Sony HVR M15U deck and the footages are recorded in HDV.
When I have imported the footages I see tha FCPX have splitted into subclips: i.e. one clipe recorded without break (start/stop) will be splitted into two or three clips non consecutive. There is some missing scenes.
I have simply choose import from camera and then the only things activated is create optimized media and analyze for color balance.
I have returned multiple splitted clips and all of them are into HDV format and not into ProRes. How can I acquire in ProRes?
Thank You in advance.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Problems in importing from tapes
on Jun 25, 2013 at 6:33:10 pm

What typically causes any NLE to split clips on tape capture is timecode breaks. This was typical as tapes or decks age and they don't read as accurately as they used to.

Depending on your capture software, it may be possible to disable how the software views timecode breaks. So I'd look there first.

Remember, if you're just interested in the visual and audio content, you can do the same thing by simply taking a composite or S-video feed from the tape deck and feeding that to ANY device that will create a digital copy. Small, relatively inexpensive devices like the Black Magic Video Recorder will allow you to take a composite video stream - encode it on the fly to a modern digital video format like H-264 - and do the digital encode that way. It's also possible to take a camera firewire out and let the camera encode it

Tthe point is that there are often a variety of ways to get a signal off a tape and into an NLE - and doing a direct computer controlled capture isn't always the easiest. Sometimes just hitting RECORD on the software and simply playing the tape will get the same results without all the hassles of the timecode breaks.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]